Mk20 Rockeye fixing - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-04-2018, 03:23 AM   #1
Eagle7907

Default Mk20 Rockeye fixing

Any word about fixing the Rockeye damage model/effects? They seem pointless to carry on the Harrier/Hornet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Eagle7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:46 PM   #2
Kaned Dragon

+1
Now I'm using the Harrier instead of the SU-25, I'm kinda needing those to work. I can only carry four Maverick's. But a cluster bomb give me other options. They don't even seem to damage AAA ground units.

all the best
Kaned Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:32 PM   #3
Jarlerus

Might be that a Rockeye update will have to wait for a bigger damage model update ... :/
Jarlerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:01 PM   #4
Eagle7907

Bump.... any word on this? Seems to be pretty vital for both Hornet and Harrier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-28-2018, 10:12 PM   #5
Kazius

I think the bug has something to do with it not calculating for heights. I noticed from carpet bomb testing, if you use auto/CCRP and set a waypoint at the front of a column of vehicles and drop from ~1000 ft AGL, you can get a good carpet bombing. If you set the waypoint to the back of end of the column of vehicles you want to bomb at ~500 AGL. This changes if you change the bombs function height so the test is using default.

However, if you bomb out side either of these heights you will miss massively which to me seems like the continuously calculated release point is not functioning or not setup for the Rockeyes or the CBU-99's.

I haven't tested much with these using CCIP. I have dropped these using CCIP mode in both the Harrier and the Hornet, but I remember hitting my targets usually. I would have to test again to see if my memory is good though.
Kazius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:20 PM   #6
Jarlerus

I could also be that the CCIP modes in DCS calculate the impact point for the capsule (so it would have hit if it doesn't deploy the bomblets), but as the bomblets deploy, they hit short?

(my dumb drop cluster bombs always drop short)

//Jarl
Jarlerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:46 PM   #7
Eagle7907

I haven't used them in the Harrier recently, but both Auto and CCIP are a combination of misses or ineffective hits in the Hornet. Yet my AI wingman scores some kills with Rockeyes on T-55s with just one pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-29-2018, 12:32 AM   #8
Kazius

Just finished some testing.

Did a couple passes using the Harrier to carpet bomb a line of fuel trucks. Unfortunately found out the Harriers intervals are still not working so now I remember why I wasn't using the Rockeyes on the Harrier either.

F-18 I tested both CBU-99's and Rockeyes many times, both bombs have exact same characteristics. I swear I saw somewhere on one of the models where you could set the function height but didn't see where I found that. I thought I saw at some point the default setting was about 300 feet.

Test at the height before you are given the impact warning which is between 1800-2000 AGL I think I saw. Impact was way before target point.

Test at 1000 feet release, impact started before the line of trucks, using 10 bombs, it would be about the 5th or 6th bomb that hit the first trucks.

Test at 600 feet release (I think lower than 500 is getting to close to the invalid fusing point). First bomblets exploded near first truck and last bomb hit a few trucks before the end of a 20 truck line. Was using 225 foot intervals.

I then tested CCIP drops. I could swear I was getting some really good pickles but looking back it seems I always came up short or before the pickle point.

I don't know enough about manual drops, but used what I learned from the F-5E tutorials and used a 80 mil offset and the 5000 rollin, 3500 release, 20 degree dive angle method and I seem to hit every time. So I think CCIP might not be working either, however I don't know if F-18 manual bombing is same as describe for the F-5E, but seeing as how I was hitting my targets well it seems to work.

I have previously done lots of CBU-97 carpet bombing runs in the A-10C as well as CBU-87's. From personal experience the CBU-97 seems to have a minimum 900 foot height of function. Any lower and the bomblets don't release well. But if I set my SPI in the middle of a line of vehicles then go line myself up for a run using CCRP, as long as I'm at 1000+ feet AGL height doesn't matter unless wind is on, CCRP figures out the release points. If say I use 5 CBU-97's, the 3rd bomb always looks to hit the spot my SPI at. If I use 7 CBU-97's then the 5th always hits the SPI target area. Same goes for the CBU-87's except I usually go lower function height since the bomblets are pretty week even against light armor, but the 3rd, 5th, 7th etc bombs dispersal is always hit in the SPI location.

On that note, i don't know if the A-10C is correct either. I'm just a guy who loves simulators, so a real pilot would have to say if the A-10C is a correct comparison.

Last edited by Kazius; 06-29-2018 at 12:43 AM. Reason: add A-10C info
Kazius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:56 AM   #9
wrl11

I tested as well. You can set the height using the VT mech fuze, just push the HT button on bottom left to change it. I tested with the height setting from 300 feet to 3000 with Rockeyes and CCIP still does not work. Way off. The Mk84s are dead on, but 99's and 20's are still busted.
wrl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:18 AM   #10
ShalashakaDS

Chizh mentioned on a recent newsletter that they are looking to improve cansiter munitions accuracy, at least on the f-18.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=151478&page=15

and wags mentioned the issue is solved on an internal build, still not avaiable on either release or beta branch however.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=194412&page=7
ShalashakaDS is offline   Reply With Quote