Landing lineup

williehayesjr

Hello everyone. I am having a problem with runway line up. Coming out of the downwind, making the 180 degree turn to final, I find myself way off of the runway even though I am on the proper heading. Moreover, on the upwind I set my runway heading. At present, I have to be lucky to roll out on the runway heading. Any tips on lineup coming out of the downwind 180 degree to final with a accurate lineup (usually I use an ILS). If I am high enough, I can see the runway and make adjustments; but at 600 ft. I have no runway visual. Is there a tutorial that address my problem?

Hello everyone. I am having a problem with runway line up. Coming out of the downwind, making the 180 degree turn to final, I find myself way off of the runway even though I am on the proper heading. Moreover, on the upwind I set my runway heading. At present, I have to be lucky to roll out on the runway heading. Any tips on lineup coming out of the downwind 180 degree to final with a accurate lineup (usually I use an ILS). If I am high enough, I can see the runway and make adjustments; but at 600 ft. I have no runway visual. Is there a tutorial that address my problem?

you are probably either too close or too far from the runway on your downwind leg. Hornet should be about 1.2nm abeam from runway

Rig: intel i9-9900kf @ 1.21 gigawatts of electricity | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming

30 degree bank ON SPEED 190 degree turn from the downwind. On speed is the key. And make sure your downwind is 180 degrees of the boats heading. Remember, the boat is steaming away from you as you go downwind so making the 190 degree base and final turn lines you right up.

Good luck

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear all

Very interesting video. Why and when you make a traffic pattern? Is it only for training landings?

During VFR flight, all the time (some rare exceptions). This is to have well behaved traffic, which can spot each other at standardized positions and altitudes. There are specific ways to join and exit the pattern (until recently, Canada and USA were a bit different). Remember that most aerodromes don't even have ATC. Just pilots talking to each other and reporting their position. Some aircraft don't even have radios, although this is not the norm and not permitted at all airfields.

IFR flights are governed completely differently requiring bi-directional comms with a controlling entity for 99%-100% of the flight. Even then, they could be involved in communicating themselves to other VFR traffic in the case of IFR flight in VMC conditions.

Edited by Jack McCoy

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

30 degree bank ON SPEED 190 degree turn from the downwind. On speed is the key. And make sure your downwind is 180 degrees of the boats heading. Remember, the boat is steaming away from you as you go downwind so making the 190 degree base and final turn lines you right up.

Good luck

TJ

OP is talking about runway, not boat.

For eveyone's sake, I learned the hard way that on-speed, 30 deg bank, 1.2 NM abeam only works with FULL flaps! :doh: Else you will overshoot the groove.:music_whistling:

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

OP is talking about runway, not boat.

For eveyone's sake, I learned the hard way that on-speed, 30 deg bank, 1.2 NM abeam only works with FULL flaps! :doh: Else you will overshoot the groove.:music_whistling:

You’d almost never fly a pattern at 600agl if landing on a runway. Rare exceptions are boat practice.

Think of how loud the jet is, on speed at 600agl. Do you want to live next to that?

TJ

You’d almost never fly a pattern at 600agl if landing on a runway. Rare exceptions are boat practice.

Think of how loud the jet is, on speed at 600agl. Do you want to live next to that?

TJ

Indeed, kind of confusing in original post. Did not notice the 600ft...

So, to OP, your land runway pattern should be anywhere from 1000ft AGL for General Aviation aircraft, to 2000-2500 for large twin-engine GA aircraft and airliners on a go-around (else they come straight-in, IFR). I'm not sure about the fighters in the military, although 1000 AGL feels comfortable to me.

You can practice the pattern using a runway, just remember to go past the end of the runway on the downwind 180, you don't turn in when abeam, you have to wait till your 3/4 mile or so past. This is because the the runway isn't moving at 30 kts that normally allows for the groove length. On a runway you need to allow for it on the downwind.

Also, if you want to practice straight in approach, use the TACAN and tune to the airfield, now set your height at 1500 feet and start at a distance of 5 miles to the airfield, this will give you about a 3 degree glide slope for landing.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

One mistake some seem to make is that they fly the break at a nearly constant G loading and that causes too tight a pattern.

You should pull at a G load that's 1% of your airspeed but since your airspeed will decay, your pull has to ease as well as you turn through 180 degrees to the downwind.

Pull 3.5Gs @ 350kts, but relax the pull to 3, 2.5, 2, 1.5 as you slow through 300, 250, 200 and 150kts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

As already mentioned recommend you practice on land field before trying the carrier (if that is what you were attempting). I heard it mentioned that a pilot will typically get nearly 300 land based traps before attempting the carrier. I did over 150 airfield landings in the sim with hornet before attempting the carrier and I still suck with the carrier. It is a whole other beast.