Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

:book: I have been hooked on Bunyap's you tube videos of spit ops in Normandy leading up to and during D-day, and if the campaign is anything like them, it's going to be really going to be something special. I cant wait:joystick::thumbup::pilotfly:

Same here! Addictive stuff those videos :thumbup:

If the campaign is anything like that, we will have some good times ahead!

For a little background on Normandy, I found two very interesting videos.

The first is actually a recording, and requires a little patience:

It's a 1 hour 38 minutes speech and Q&A session, that describes why the defence was so much better at Omaha beach, and what made the fighting there so hard.

It is very interesting, and well worth the effort IMO:

The second one is a documentary about the tank battles in Normandy.

It is interesting, because it really gets into how the Sherman tanks fared against the German tanks (not well), but also about much of what happened on the ground on and after d-Day, including the fact that the German forces were eventually forced into defeat by the Allied's air power.

It's a good supplement to the speech above (and also Ala13_ManOWar's video), and have some very good interviews of participants from both sides.

Both videos include the air force part of the equation, and gives some interesting background on how it was used.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Did you guys see this?

Sounds great!

:thumbup:

Indeed it does!

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

For a little background on Normandy, I found two very interesting videos.

The first is actually a recording, and requires a little patience:

It's a 1 hour 38 minutes speech and Q&A session, that describes why the defence was so much better at Omaha beach, and what made the fighting there so hard.

It is very interesting, and well worth the effort IMO:

Hey thanks for this.

The gentleman talks about the green books, so I've linked the one he mentions here:

http://www.history.army.mil/html/books/007/7-4-1/index.html

• Like 1

Did you guys see this?

Sounds great!

Variation on the Mustang theme. Nice.

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

Sounds great!

Guess we'll be hearing this in our sleep soon.

Seeing all the pics and live streams I was beginning to wonder if ED had overdone it with trees surrounding every farm field look. Scanning a Normandy satellite view of area it does look exactly like that. Spot on. Great job ED!:thumbup:

Wags livestreams show US style water towers in villages... Could ED team think about changing this by fully built water towers (not standing on pylons) ? In France, most are built like these ones and it will be more pleasant to use the map in ww2 period or modern era. Some examples :

france-eure-les-andelys-water-tower-aerial-view-cn98hy.jpg

photo-d-illustration-cc-by-jannick-jeremy-1465251812.jpg

JM150571.JPG

Edited by gpelfort

I was thinking the same, Gpelfort, while watching the last streaming from Wags, as I have never seen those type of water towers (on pylons) in France but only in the US. But again, this is not a real game breaker and I am sure ED have more serious things to consider right now before the release of this map.

I wonder if we will ever see deformable terrain, I know it doesn't do anything other than add to immersion however so very very low down on most people's list.

attachment.php?attachmentid=159793&d=1490634574

Tank tracks in the grass, skid marks from belly landings etc...

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

I wonder if we will ever see deformable terrain, I know it doesn't do anything other than add to immersion however so very very low down on most people's list.

attachment.php?attachmentid=159793&d=1490634574

It may come with the T5 terrain engine

OK, these pictures-screenshoots are beautiful, but I would like to see the damage model - screenshoots of devastated city after bombing. How does it look ruined city and ground?

And add a bad weather, dark clouds and little rain, to see how it looks when the weather's isn't nice.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Everything is possible ...

^

nice pic. church does seem a little on the small side though.

The UK has a lot of Norman Churches from the 11th Century, most are very small affairs compared to later medieval churches:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It may come with the T5 terrain engine

Tracks are important in real life, they actually help you spot vehicles from the air. Would be nice if they could have them show. Won't hold my breath for it.

Yes, definitively too small. You can tell with the cars next to it and the size of the other houses. Churches are always placed in the center of the village with the bell tower way high above the other houses.

A vast majority of the time yes, however by no means always... ;)

stock-photo-old-medieval-catholic-church-in-high-alsace-mountains-france-winter-257715667.jpg

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

• ED Team
Yes, definitively too small. You can tell with the cars next to it and the size of the other houses. Churches are always placed in the center of the village with the bell tower way high above the other houses.

No, he added a new screenshot, its matter of angles the original screenshot was taken at. Its why its best to just wait until you can get in there and look at it...

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png