Hard Drives not showing full size

Hello everyone;

A while back, I mentioned on here that I was taking on the challenge to build a server for DCS. The news that they are producing a "true" server function is awesome, and re-inspired my efforts to get this project finished (after moving my family, and new job has taken most of my time).

I bought a few parts to build this system, and decided to add some storage capacity to make it useful as electronic storage when not hosting. The current set up:

ASUS Z8NA‑D6 with Intel 5500/ICH10R ATX Motherboard

2x Intel XEON X5670 2.93Ghz, 6-core

6x 8GB 1333 (48gb total)

GeForce GTX 1060

RaidMax 1200 PSU

4x 480 SSD (raid 5 through MoBo raid controller) - 1.3TB usable

Windows 7 Ultimate

What I added, 2x 6TB 7200rpm Toshiba X300 drives

Problem: Each 6TB drives shows up as only 1.4TB in raid controller and in Windows. But in the BIOS screen it shows them as 6TB.

I have tried to correct it by using Disk Part in CMD, but even that does not resolve it. I also made sure it was GPT.

At this point, I am about to reinstall windows after disabling RAID, and seeing if I can force the drives in AHCI.

If anyone can give me any additional options, or ideas, I am much appreciative. I am at a loss otherwise. I will post screenshots from my phone in the following post.

resolved - kinda...

So I found a method that worked. I broke the drives up into 2TB or less partitions using Diskpart. This seems to have solved it, just not in the manner I would have liked. It allowed me to see the drives in Windows after "importing foreign drives". The partitions were there and I went one by one deleting and re-building them with windows. It will work for my needs.

Now to get on with the installing of all my drivers and DCS itself.

Nice rig, keep us informed how it runs.

Phasing out a Dell T710 with similar specs, dual CPU 5650, 32GB, 16 HDDs, etc..

I would maybe make a nice DCS-Server with the ded. SRV arriving soon.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 2 months later...

BitMaster, thanks and I wanted to give an update. The rig works great. It takes no time loading, and game runs super smooth. I do think there may be a bottle neck in my bus speed, as I'm not able to run on the highest of settings (but that could be me under estimating my 1060). Either way, I'm pleased with the performance. Due to the graphics slightly lacking, I may build another rig and utilize this purely as a server (currently I've been playing on this one ;-)

Also, I dropped one of the SSDs down to 3, and 2 6tb drives. The space is still fine, and I've got everything to run in raid now.

Nice !

If electricity cost wasn't an issue here I'd do the same with the T-710 Dual Socket that's being replaced as of now.

I take the 7 Workstations instead ( and the 7 x 850 Pro SSD I put in lately ) and take them home :) :)

I knew my Z370 has too few Sata, I knew it ! need 7 more soon LoL

I love old hardware being phased out, such a treasure sometimes.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X