Refueling - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
joojoo

Default Refueling

Hey to all

I have try again ang again to do an air to air refueling but I cannot despite that I am very close to tanker. I do not use HOTAS warthog for simulation but a simple thrustmaster HOTAS. Is that a matter of thw stick? Is it with warthog more easy? I also like to ask if the curves of the Stick have a significant role to air refueling.

Thanx
joojoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
Kid18120

Axis curves have a HUGE impact on how difficult it is to AAR or to fly formation or even just fly in general.
Apart from that, if you feel good flying with your setup and you are confident you are in full control of the aircraft, just make sure you have:

1. set the proper tanker frequency (unless easy comms option is enabled)
2. make sure you are calling the tanker on the proper radio (different keys for COM1 and COM2)
3. make sure you get cleared to rejoin, then position yourself in pre-contact position (lots of videos on youtube showcasing this)
4. report "ready precontact" to the tanker and recieve a "cleared contact" (or nothing if you're not in the right position)
5. approach the basket slowly and steadily and it will connect just a moment before you actually "touch" it

Simming since 2005
My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA GTX1070 FTW, Corsair HX850
Kid18120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:34 PM   #3
joojoo

All the above are applied. Would you explain about Axis curves? are there some standards or it depends on player's point of view?
Old 09-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #4
razo+r
Veteran

Depends on the player. Some people like curves, some don't.
razo+r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
probad

because the truth is its just all about putting the time in to become more proficient in handling your aircraft

everything else is all bs
hahaha hey look at me i surely know more about aviation and coding than actual industry professionals hired for their competency because i have read jalopnik and wikipedia i bet theyve never even heard of google LOL
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #6
delevero

tip for people who find it difficult to refuel.

Fly up near the tanker and match the speed and height.
Turn on the autopilot Altitude hold.
When the autopilot is on it become much more easy since your stick become much less sensitive/responsive.

note..: if you push to hard on your joystick while autopilot is on it will turn off.

Regarding speed and tanking, then you maybe have to sit and make small adjustmen forward and back on your trottle if you trottle is not precise.

tip..: when you train refueling, then do it behind a large plane such as the c130 hercules or the kc135 ( there are two versions one with a boom and one with the connector the hornet uses ).

Els regarding learning to refuel, then practice 15 minutes every day, and after 1 week i think you can do it your self every time ;-)
And you can do it with any joystick, its a matter of practice... personaly my old joystick was unprecise and i air refuel better than people with super expensive ones.. a matter of practice.
delevero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:11 PM   #7
SWE-Timberwolf

Also, what ever you do NEVER look at the basket except with your peripheral vision. If you do you will cause pilot induced oscillations.

Good youtube AAR tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tFxi6ZQxuQ&t=300s

Modules: FC3 | UH-1H Huey | SA342 Gazelle | Spitfire | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | A-10C | M-2000C | AV-8B Harrier | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14 Tomcat | C-101 Aviojet | F-86F Saber | MiG-21 Bis | MiG-19 Farmer| NTTR | Normandie | Persian Gulf |
SWE-Timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #8
joojoo

Thank you all guys, I will try..
Old 09-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #9
Ewertsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWE-Timberwolf View Post
Also, what ever you do NEVER look at the basket except with your peripheral vision. If you do you will cause pilot induced oscillations.

Good youtube AAR tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tFxi6ZQxuQ&t=300s
I always look at the basket when refueling the f18 or mirage, due to the probe being so close to the canopy. The only time I recall missing the basket on the first attempt was 2 weeks ago when the left basket was already taken and I had to go for the other one while the tanker was turning left. I guess on that condition the basket and my plane were getting more turbulence...
After contact, I change my focus to the tanker, keep that green light on.
Ewertsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #10
SWE-Timberwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewertsp View Post
I always look at the basket when refueling the f18 or mirage, due to the probe being so close to the canopy. The only time I recall missing the basket on the first attempt was 2 weeks ago when the left basket was already taken and I had to go for the other one while the tanker was turning left. I guess on that condition the basket and my plane were getting more turbulence...
After contact, I change my focus to the tanker, keep that green light on.
That’s probably different for everyone, if I look at the basket I always get oscillations when I get close to the basket.

Modules: FC3 | UH-1H Huey | SA342 Gazelle | Spitfire | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | A-10C | M-2000C | AV-8B Harrier | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14 Tomcat | C-101 Aviojet | F-86F Saber | MiG-21 Bis | MiG-19 Farmer| NTTR | Normandie | Persian Gulf |
SWE-Timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f18, refueling