Sort out the clickable communications menus for VR

MrShooty

Perhaps I'm doing this incorrectly but I can't find settings to use the communications menus clickable when in VR. At least, I can if I disable the mouse so I can't use it to position the mouse cursor and use the view centre VR dot only. But then I still need to select the menu item with the right mouse button anyway so I need my hand on the mouse but still can't use the mouse positioning. And then using the viewcentre dot makes it literally a pain in the neck to be forced to adjust clickable cockpit controls - it's not as steady since you need to hold your gaze directly on the item and at the near ends of the consoles - like radios - you need to crane right over to get to them.

Oh, and obviously using the F1-12 buttons for the comms menus is a no-no in VR.

Am I missing something rather fundamental in the settings? Surely it can't be so difficult to be able to use the mouse positioning in VR for the communications menus?

Actually ED really need to get a handle on VR-friendly use. There are several issues they need to get sorted to bring VR fully into the fold.

Actually , i like the head/mouse movement of the cursor . I can trackball near a switch and refine the position with head movement . It also allows very fast ufc entries and selection . Coupled with the disappearing cursor , i think it's a well-done system .

Having said that , I use Voiceattack/Vaicom Pro for realistic comms , so i have no experience with the comms menu problem you are describing .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Instead of the current radio memu, as suggested before on this sub-forum, a radial menu (just like the Jester menu in the F-14B) would be awesome.

Though I didn't get the impression ED noticed or did anything with this great suggestion

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I'm not so sure it is a great suggestion :) It takes up more real estate , and i fear it would wreck my Voiceattack comms :(

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Instead of the current radio memu, as suggested before on this sub-forum, a radial menu (just like the Jester menu in the F-14B) would be awesome.

I agree. I don't have the F-14 but I have seen videos of it and it seems like a great idea. Communications in VR really are lacking and it's not intuitive for 2D either.

A lot of other games made by studios with hundreds of employees have gone with radial, context based comm menus the last years. And it works there as well. For VR it is even more needed as we don't want to map 12 buttons for comms.

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

Actually , i like the head/mouse movement of the cursor . I can trackball near a switch and refine the position with head movement . It also allows very fast ufc entries and selection . Coupled with the disappearing cursor , i think it's a well-done system .

I agree that the main cursor works nicely with the dual head/mouse control, but for whatever reason, the radio menu has a separate cursor that moves independently, is never in the right place, and can't be controlled by head.

If only the radio menu could have been clicked with the green cursor, things would be much easier in VR.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I agree that the main cursor works nicely with the dual head/mouse control, but for whatever reason, the radio menu has a separate cursor that moves independently, is never in the right place, and can't be controlled by head.

If only the radio menu could have been clicked with the green cursor, things would be much easier in VR.

Indeed. And that's all I'm asking for. A green cross cursor clickable radio menu just like any of the cockpit buttons.

The suggested radial Jester-style menu would be great if it was similarly VR friendly.

Having said that , I use Voiceattack/Vaicom Pro for realistic comms , so i have no experience with the comms menu problem you are describing .

I too have Vaicom but am finding it very difficult to get the correct responses. I seem to spend a lot of time shouting at Texaco to drop his boom and getting responses from some distant ATC guy (and many other similar issues). In addition voice commands are not great late at night when the rest of the family are asleep. Hence my desire for a clickable option.