[REPORTED]Lights Broken in Patch

USA_Recon

The F-15's lights have definitely changed from the previous patch 2.5.6.47404 (and many patches before that) to patch 2.5.6.49314. Here are the changes that I've observed thus far:

1): External light control logic has changed. To be specific, in prior patches the keyboard shortcut RCTRL+L (labeled "Navigation Lights" under the category "Systems") has toggled navigation lights on/off. To toggle on/off the anti-collision lights, we had to press RCTRL+RALT+L (labeled "Anti-collision Lights" under the category "Systems"). The two were independent, and there were only two settings (on/off) for each. As of the current patch, navigation lights and anti-collision lights now follow a different 3-stage control logic on RCTRL+L: No external lights, navigation lights only, and navigation lights + anti-collision lights. I would guess that this new control logic originates in a different Flaming Cliffs 3 aircraft, perhaps the Su-25? Anti-collision lights may still be toggled with RCTRL+RALT+L.

However, there's now an additional twist: If I press RCTRL+L twice, i.e. the F-15 now has both navigation lights and anti-collision lights turned on, and I THEN toggle the anti-collision lights off using RCTRL+RALT+L, the next press of RCTRL+L will NOT turn off the external lights but instead turn on the anti-collision lights (in addition to keeping the nav lights on).

From my findings, the logic seems to be the following: There are four stages of lights: (A) no lights, (B) nav lights only, © nav lights + anti-coll lights, and (D) anti-coll lights only. RCTRL+L will switch (A)->(B), (B)->©, ©->(A), and (D)->©. Meanwhile, RCTRL+RALT+L will switch (A)->(D), (B)->©, and ©->(B).

2): Navigation light brightness has changed. As USA_Recon reports, the wingtip navigation lights are quite dim in this patch compared to the previous patch. I would say that the navigational light brightness is on par with what the Tomcat had prior to patch 2.5.6.49314, which IMO was unusable for anything.

Navigation lights patch 2.5.6.47404: https://i.imgur.com/AnRb65F.png

Navigation lights patch 2.5.6.49314: https://i.imgur.com/QxSNcAt.png

3): Navigation lights are now flashing. While their brightness is now heavily dimmed, the navigation lights are also flashing in patch 2.5.6.49314. In previous patches the navigation lights were steady.

I have made a short video to highlight this change, although the dimness of the navigation lights makes it difficult to make out the flashing on YouTube:

. Later in the video, I turn on the anti-collision lights by a second press of RCTRL+L, and then turn on the taxi and takeoff lights. For comparison, here are the patch 2.5.6.47404 lights:

4): The taxi light model does not show the taxi light being active. When turning on the taxi light (RALT+L once), the taxi light illumination turns on (though with a changed illumination cone, see point 5 below), however the actual taxi light model does not show the light active.

Taxi light patch 2.5.6.47404: https://i.imgur.com/ZFBxt1L.png

Taxi light patch 2.5.6.49314: https://i.imgur.com/IQxk2Mm.png

The difference can also be seen in both videos attached to point (3). The takeoff/landing light (mounted directly beneath the taxi light) does turn on when commanding takeoff/landing light (RALT+L twice from no lights).

Takeoff/landing light patch 2.5.6.47404: https://i.imgur.com/Ak8mNbD.png

Takeoff/landing light patch 2.5.6.49314: https://i.imgur.com/VTRuorR.png

5) Taxi light and takeoff/landing light illumination patterns have changed. In patch 2.5.6.47404 and prior, both the taxi and landing light illuminated a narrow cone in front of the airplane. This can be seen in both of the patch 2.5.6.47404 images above as well as my two videos.

As of patch 2.5.6.49314, the takeoff/landing light has become an elongated spot in front of the airplane nose, while the taxi light is now a wide illumination cone. Both have also changed to a warmer (yellow-ish) white. For both lights, an 'additional' illumination cone is present on the ground at the nose wheel, as if an additional light source is mounted there. This additional light is visible in both patch 2.5.6.49314 pictures above and in the video.

EDIT: I just noticed that when switching from taxi lights to takeoff/landing lights, the taxi light model will flash once during the transition. The same flash occurs when the takeoff/landing light is turned off.

Edited by Aetherin
Formatting.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this thorough report - hopefully ED sorts this out!

I also noticed that if you turn on your landing light, your wingmen will do the same, but not for the taxi light.

From my findings, the logic seems to be the following: There are four stages of lights: (A) no lights, (B) nav lights only, © nav lights + anti-coll lights, and (D) anti-coll lights only. RCTRL+L will switch (A)->(B), (B)->©, ©->(A), and (D)->©. Meanwhile, RCTRL+RALT+L will switch (A)->(D), (B)->©, and ©->(B).

Just wanted to add that, according to the F-15A/B/C/D flight manual, light stage (D)—that is, anti-collision lights only—is not possible. Whenever the anti-collision lights are on, the position (nav) lights automatically go to steady full brilliance, regardless of the position of the position (nav) lights knob.

Also, the position (nav) light options in the real F-15C are: off; steady at adjustable brightness; and flashing at full brightness. So, RCTRL+L should more accurately cycle nav lights between off, steady, and flashing, with the current setting being temporarily overruled by steady whenever anti-collision lights are toggled on with RCTRL+RALT+L.

attachment.php?attachmentid=239154&stc=1&d=1591668730

1913371137_EXTLT.jpg.ed4f56cd4804c50c21074123b1246c4c.jpg

Edited by N22YF
Added image

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that as of now the Anti-Collision lights are not emanating from their correct position on the wing roots. The flash frequency is also not correct. The wing tip Navigation lights are now flashing. In fact, the Anti-Collision light should be flashing at the same frequency as the Nav lights are and the Nav lights shouldn't be flashing at all. I realize that the real aircraft can probably adjust the Nav lights to flash...If you can program the Anti-Collision lights to flash like the Navigation lights are, then it'll be perfect...

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

• 3 weeks later...

The only thing I would add is that the “cone” landing light very nicely lights up the runway threshold during landing; it did not do this for me before and I wish this feature could be retained. (Perhaps this is depicted in previous attached videos.)

I actually noticed this, but I think they do work.

They are just REALLY dim. Jump in the 15 and go F2, zoom in on the wingtip and then turn them on and you will see them light up, but just barely.