Is Our Harrier Navy or Marine? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 06:54 AM   #1
JM1

Question Is Our Harrier Navy or Marine?

I noticed that the front cover of the pocket guide states that our Harrier is the Navy model, is that accurate? I had thought that this sim was a Marine a/c. All of the liveries look like they're for Marine squadrons, but I know those aren't necessarily accurate or exhaustive. If someone could please confirm whether this is a Navy or Marine airframe I'd be grateful.

Apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere, I did search but found nothing relevant.
MFG Crosswind
Naturalpoint TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
Razer Orbweaver Stealth
Corsair K70 RGB LUX
SteelSeries Rival 600
Intel i7-8770K
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 Ti
MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
16GB DDR4 Corsair 3000 C15

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [FA-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis]
JM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:55 AM   #2
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1 View Post
I noticed that the front cover of the pocket guide states that our Harrier is the Navy model, is that accurate? I had thought that this sim was a Marine a/c. All of the liveries look like they're for Marine squadrons, but I know those aren't necessarily accurate or exhaustive. If someone could please confirm whether this is a Navy or Marine airframe I'd be grateful.

Apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere, I did search but found nothing relevant.
There is no navy Harrier, at least not in the US Navy. So yes, it is a US Marine Harrier.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:58 AM   #3
JM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
There is no navy Harrier, at least not in the US Navy. So yes, it is a US Marine Harrier.
Thanks QuiGon, appreciated as always
MFG Crosswind
Razer Orbweaver Stealth
Corsair K70 RGB LUX
SteelSeries Rival 600
Intel i7-8770K
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 Ti

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [FA-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis]
Old 01-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
Brewnix

A little fun fact. In Marine Aviation everything goes thru the Navy. Tools, parts changes in the aircraft manuals. If I remember it was called Navair depot that was stamped on all the tools. If they didn't have there stamp on it you could not use it. Hose clamp under $10 bucks at the hardware store after the Navair depot put there name on it $75bucks. They have to approve everything before we get to use it. That's why it says the Navy everywhere.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #5
drPhibes

Which isn't so surprising, since the USMC has been a component of the US Navy for nearly 184 years.
drPhibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
grunf

Quote:
Originally Posted by drPhibes View Post
Which isn't so surprising, since the USMC has been a component of the US Navy for nearly 184 years.
Actually USMC is not part of USN, they are both separate branches under the Department of the Navy.
grunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
JM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnix View Post
A little fun fact. In Marine Aviation everything goes thru the Navy. Tools, parts changes in the aircraft manuals. If I remember it was called Navair depot that was stamped on all the tools. If they didn't have there stamp on it you could not use it. Hose clamp under $10 bucks at the hardware store after the Navair depot put there name on it $75bucks. They have to approve everything before we get to use it. That's why it says the Navy everywhere.
Ah ok, that is informative, thanks. So all Marines Airframes would likely be designated as Navy builds? Do all Marines assets go through this approval process, or is it specific to certain types of items?
MFG Crosswind
Razer Orbweaver Stealth
Corsair K70 RGB LUX
SteelSeries Rival 600
Intel i7-8770K
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 Ti

Old 01-17-2018, 05:23 AM   #8
Brewnix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1 View Post
Ah ok, that is informative, thanks. So all Marines Airframes would likely be designated as Navy builds? Do all Marines assets go through this approval process, or is it specific to certain types of items?
That I don't know how much and what went thru the Navair dept. I was just recalling why we had NAVAIR stamped on on our tools and some of the publications.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:24 AM   #9
JM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnix View Post
That I don't know how much and what went thru the Navair dept. I was just recalling why we had NAVAIR stamped on on our tools and some of the publications.
Ah fair enough. It's great hearing these details, for a civvie like me it's great to get this background
MFG Crosswind
Razer Orbweaver Stealth
Corsair K70 RGB LUX
SteelSeries Rival 600
Intel i7-8770K
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 Ti

Old 01-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #10
Vampyre

Every Marine is a rifleman. That saying is true. Even though some of them fly jets/helicopters, drive tanks/trucks and operate artillery pieces they are all riflemen first. They do not possess their own acquisitions/support infrastructure and instead use the Navy for that which is why NAVAIR is seen on everything aviation related. Their paychecks come from the Department of the Navy. They do not even have their own medical personnel instead relying on the Navy for their Hospital Corpsman. One of the interservice jabs that routinely gets used is that MARINE is an acronym- My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote