IFF and RWR - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2018, 04:42 AM   #1
JM1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 296
Default IFF and RWR

We have an IFF panel (right side, towards the back of the cockpit, item 13 on p26 of the manual), but I can't work out how to turn it on. Can someone please fill me in? It would be really helpful to be able to interrogate a target before deciding whether to launch a missile at it

Also, the RWR will give radar warnings for friendlies as well as hostiles, correct?
__________________
Spoiler:
Thrustmaster Warthog
Thrustmaster MFD Cougars
MFG Crosswind
Naturalpoint TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
Corsair K70 RGB LUX
Razer Basilisk
Intel i7-8770K
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 Ti
MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
16GB DDR4 Corsair 3000 C15


Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [Black Shark 2] [F-5E] [FC3] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis]
JM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:07 AM   #2
razo+r
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1 View Post
We have an IFF panel (right side, towards the back of the cockpit, item 13 on p26 of the manual), but I can't work out how to turn it on. Can someone please fill me in? It would be really helpful to be able to interrogate a target before deciding whether to launch a missile at it

Also, the RWR will give radar warnings for friendlies as well as hostiles, correct?
It doesn't work afaik
__________________

Rig: Maximus VII Ranger, 4790K @ 4.00 Ghz, MSI GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB non-oc RAM, 250 GB SAMSUNG EVO 850 SSD, 2TB HDD, Win 10 64-bit
razo+r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
SVTONY
Member
 
SVTONY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 608
Default

Can someone confirm this? I literally was 5 minutes away from purchasing the Viggen, but now have reservations.
SVTONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
MBot
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,124
Default

Since the Viggen only has a ground mapping radar (which also can be used for air targets in a very limited way), I highly doubt that it is equipped with an IFF interrogator (even many fighter aircraft do not have one). It surely has an IFF transponder, which means that it can tell other interrogators that it is friendly. Since IFF in DCS is highly abstracted, there isn't really much to simulate here.
MBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
lucky-hendrix
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 78
Default

I am not an expert, but I don't think you can interogate targets with the iff. the viggen radar is not make for locking up air targets, so I don't see how it would work. The iff is only for other aircraft to be able to identify the viggen.

And the rwr shows all emissions like all rwr do. There is no way to tell the "side" if a radar emissions

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
lucky-hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
SVTONY
Member
 
SVTONY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBot View Post
It surely has an IFF transponder, which means that it can tell other interrogators that it is friendly.
Okay - that makes a difference for me. Any idea if we have to set it up when starting up or is it automatic?
SVTONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #7
JM1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTONY View Post
Can someone confirm this? I literally was 5 minutes away from purchasing the Viggen, but now have reservations.
Honestly, I don’t think this should stop you getting this module, it certainly hasn’t made me regret buying it. There is just one included mission where you’re tasked with taking out a ship that’s hunting a friendly submarine, so in that mission it would be ideal to ID the target before firing, but it hasn’t been an issue elsewhere, and I don’t expect it will be.
__________________
Spoiler:
Thrustmaster Warthog
Thrustmaster MFD Cougars
MFG Crosswind
Naturalpoint TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
Corsair K70 RGB LUX
Razer Basilisk
Intel i7-8770K
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 Ti
MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
16GB DDR4 Corsair 3000 C15


Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [Black Shark 2] [F-5E] [FC3] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis]
JM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #8
JM1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBot View Post
Since the Viggen only has a ground mapping radar (which also can be used for air targets in a very limited way), I highly doubt that it is equipped with an IFF interrogator (even many fighter aircraft do not have one). It surely has an IFF transponder, which means that it can tell other interrogators that it is friendly. Since IFF in DCS is highly abstracted, there isn't really much to simulate here.
You’re dead right, I didn’t even think about the fact that I’m interpreting the radar returns myself. No way it could be used, I see that now.

EDIT 01: Blindingly obvious now that I have next to no experience with a2a radar, but I thought this panel was an interrogator (as opposed to just a transponder) because it has an “identify” button with indicator lights for pass and fail.
__________________
Spoiler:
Thrustmaster Warthog
Thrustmaster MFD Cougars
MFG Crosswind
Naturalpoint TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
Corsair K70 RGB LUX
Razer Basilisk
Intel i7-8770K
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 Ti
MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
16GB DDR4 Corsair 3000 C15


Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [Black Shark 2] [F-5E] [FC3] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis]

Last edited by JM1; 01-17-2018 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added theory on IFF panel
JM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #9
razo+r
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,072
Default

Just to add here: IFF doesn't work for some planes too. For example, the A-10A and C do have the IFF equipment in, but it is not functioning in DCS. Same goes for the F-5, Bf-109 and others too afaik.
__________________

Rig: Maximus VII Ranger, 4790K @ 4.00 Ghz, MSI GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB non-oc RAM, 250 GB SAMSUNG EVO 850 SSD, 2TB HDD, Win 10 64-bit
razo+r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #10
SVTONY
Member
 
SVTONY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 608
Default

Wait - I know the F-5 can't interrogate but can be interrogated... the later is not modelled?
SVTONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:57 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.