Should I buy Mirrage 2000c or Hornet?

Shadoware

At this moment Im more interested in single player but after some time I will go to multiplayer.

I think M2000c seems good for single player at first, but with M2000c will I be able to compete in multiplayer or with Hornet one can get too much advantage in multiplayer dogfights or BVR fights?

Is it necessary to get other maps like Nevada or Persian Gulf to play some specific module missions?

go for the Hornet. Because of it's full multirole capability you will be able to do a bigger variety of different sorties.

And if you get to the point, where you need to see something else, shop the Mirage.

At least if you wallet is limited, if it's not just shop both

Mirage is great and has some excellent single player content but if you plan to go online for PVP, you're going to be hurting for some of the goodies the Hornet offers.

Hornet.

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

I think M2000c seems good for single player at first, but with M2000c will I be able to compete in multiplayer or with Hornet one can get too much advantage in multiplayer dogfights or BVR fights?
There is no good answer to that. In my opinion, DCS is most definately NOT about flying the best possible aircraft and beating everybody else in multiplayer. DCS is about the joy of flying and the sense of accomplishment of mastering a machine that's just as complex as it's real life counterpart.

If you judge everything objectively, then the Hornet is very hard to beat. It's very capable, it's modern, it can do everything reasonably well with the added bonus of carrier operations.

But the Mirage is by far the prettiest aircraft in DCS. :wub:

But I find DCS is not about objectivity. I own both the Hornet and the Mirage but hardly fly either. Mainly because I dislike FBW, as it makes flying too easy.

My personal favourites are: Albatros, Viggen, MiG-15, possibly in that order. Why? The common thing between these is joy of flying, although the Viggen delivers a very thrilling low-level flight experience, where the Albatros is much more relaxing to fly. The MiG-15 is neither fast nor very relaxing, but it's an amazing dogfighter. Of the three, the Viggen is by far the most advanced and complex with regards to systems, but it's very ergonomical once you understand the philosophy. It's difficult to say which aircraft will suit you best.

I recommend reading all of Chuck's Guides, particularly of the aircraft you are at least mildly interested in. There are also plenty of youtube movies you can look at.

Is it necessary to get other maps like Nevada or Persian Gulf to play some specific module missions?

Unless you mean specific campaigns designed for a specific map (e.g. Red Flag), then no, you don't need any maps in order to enjoy the game.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

About Hornet I'm concerned the lack of single player content.

I like the M2000c because its not the top of the top aircraft and it seems to have reasonable good single player content.

Im thinking about to get Hornet because it seems good as a long term aircraft that will continue capable against other new DCS module that may appear and has many systems to learn.

Are there many user made missions for Hornet?

Its very hard to choice because I dont have too much available time to learn both aircraft and enjoy everything so I really prefer one step at a time.

Mirage is great and has some excellent single player content but if you plan to go online for PVP, you're going to be hurting for some of the goodies the Hornet offers.

Hornet.

Are most players using Hornet or are there many people using many different aircraft in PVP?

Are most players using Hornet or are there many people using many different aircraft in PVP?

It depends on the server, but you will see a mix of most modules. There are definitely a lot of Hornets (it's the new hotness and it gets frequent updates with new features), but the Mirage is always represented and flown. In fact it is one of the toughest opponents in multiplayer when flown well.

It depends on the server, but you will see a mix of most modules. There are definitely a lot of Hornets (it's the new hotness and it gets frequent updates with new features), but the Mirage is always represented and flown. In fact it is one of the toughest opponents in multiplayer when flown well.

What updates are Hornet getting? Improvements to aircraft or something else?

What updates are Hornet getting? Improvements to aircraft or something else?

The Hornet is in Early Access, which means its not "finished", EA is a process that can take up to several years. So have realistic expectations there, It came out mid last year IIRC.

The Mirage is "complete" but it has its issues with functionality (bombing) and bugs, some of which will hopefully fixed with its mid-life update (this may take months or more).

Of the two, the mirage is more complete and has more single player content for it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Its very hard to choice because I dont have too much available time to learn both aircraft and enjoy everything so I really prefer one step at a time.

If you lack time, I would suggest simpler modules, at least at first.

If you prefer Western style aircraft, the C-101 is great now that it has PFM and weapons. During my first flight in that aircraft (hot, at runway), I managed to take-off, fire weapons and land, without consulting any manual or touching the keyboard. That says a lot about how intuitive that aircraft is.

Both the Hornet and the Mirage are very complex in comparison. The Mirage has (at least for me) an additional challenge because it's sometimes counterintuitive with some systems.

The F-5 is somewhere in between the C-101 and the Hornet in complexity, but it is a "real" fighter.

Remember that DCS is a sandbox mostly. You decide which enemies or targets you want to encounter.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

If you prefer Western style aircraft, the C-101 is great now that it has PFM and weapons. During my first flight in that aircraft (hot, at runway), I managed to take-off, fire weapons and land, without consulting any manual or touching the keyboard. That says a lot about how intuitive that aircraft is.
+1

At this moment Im more interested in single player but after some time I will go to multiplayer...

Get M-2000C now as it has a really great and immersive stock campaign by Baltic Dragon. There is also the Red Flag DLC which one of the positive aspects is that story wise its connected with the stock campaign. Eventually M-2000C will also get another DLC, again being a continuation of the stock and RF campaigns but for the Persian Gulf map.

Hornet is a great module and ED is making an amazing job with it, including the constant flow of updates and new features but it does not have a campaign yet as well we'll most probably have to wait for it till the module is more feature complete. Clearly as for today, M-2000C has much more of SP content available.

The suggestions to take the Hornet because it'll kick !@# in MP are quite dis-motivating. Everyone has a mouth full of the how accurate and detail the simulation in DCS has to be, how realistic and how perfectly resembling the charts the flight model must be while eventually the reception of the plane boils down to it's capability to reach a high K/D ratio on the air-quake server... Anyway, seems like people flying L-39 in Blue Flag just because they like the plane and enjoy work done by the devs to represent it must be totally crazy...

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Get M-2000C now as it has a really great and immersive stock campaign by Baltic Dragon. There is also the Red Flag DLC which one of the positive aspects is that story wise its connected with the stock campaign. Eventually M-2000C will also get another DLC, again being a continuation of the stock and RF campaigns but for the Persian Gulf map.

Hornet is a great module and ED is making an amazing job with it, including the constant flow of updates and new features but it does not have a campaign yet as well we'll most probably have to wait for it till the module is more feature complete. Clearly as for today, M-2000C has much more of SP content available.

The suggestions to take the Hornet because it'll kick !@# in MP are quite dis-motivating. Everyone has a mouth full of the how accurate and detail the simulation in DCS has to be, how realistic and how perfectly resembling the charts the flight model must be while eventually the reception of the plane boils down to it's capability to reach a high K/D ratio on the air-quake server... Anyway, seems like people flying L-39 in Blue Flag just because they like the plane and enjoy work done by the devs to represent it must be totally crazy...

Thats a point I would really want to know about!

If you are gonna put many players with different aircrafts in a online MP battle, how can somebody know if using a specific aircraft are gonna make the game impossible to win or put the player in huge disadvantage?

Usually MP games have some balance between player classes or player's gears

I'd recommend the Hornet, Baltic Dragon's campaign for the M-2000 is excellent but you'll end up spending twice the campaign length just perfecting your carrier landings in the Hornet alone. Lot to digest with the F/A-18, more than enough to hold you over until a campaign launches.

Thats a point I would really want to know about!

If you are gonna put many players with different aircrafts in a online MP battle, how can somebody know if using a specific aircraft are gonna make the game impossible to win or put the player in huge disadvantage?

Usually MP games have some balance between player classes or player's gears

There are many ways of balancing MP games. For example:

- Add AI aircraft as needed

- Limit slots/lives for certain aircraft types

- Assymetric scenarios of all kind (e.g. few modern aircraft against many old aircraft)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I have both, and I think I spend more time in the Mirage. As the more mature module, there's more great single-player content.

Also, while it's a positive that the Hornet is continually being developed, I like that with the Mirage (being a "simpler" plane anyway) it's somewhat easier to learn the systems, and they do not change significantly between updates.

So for now I prefer the Mirage, but the Hornet is probably a more interesting plane overall, and once it stabilises I'll probably prefer that.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

SP - M2000

MP - Hornet

I will say play the M2000 in a server where Fox 3 missiles are banned, you will have a level playing field, but when there are 120Cs allowed, lord help you in a M2000... you'll get spammed with 3 AIM120s and you're done. lol

or you will need to seriously figure out how to fly low, fly flank and then come in behind players. NOt something I'm good at.

there are intermediate state between no fox-3, and 120C allowed ( BF on PG, AIM-9X are forbidden there too)

the AIM-120B being much less effective than the -C allow the 2000-C to still be quite competitive.

despite 120B, R-27ER/ET, R-77, the M-2000 is the best fighter on BF in K/D

the 2000-C is a better A-A platform ( performances ), but is smaller ( less load ) and arround 15 years older than the DCS Hornet which is true multirole and benefits from datalink, JHMC, AIM-120s and AIM-9X...

however, the 2000 is a true counterpart to the RED FC-3 fighters, and to the F-14

the 2000's pilot also benefit from much better display and interface layout than the F14's pilot, which results in better SA

I got the Mirrage. Some time ahead Ill get the Hornet, maybe last quarter the year maybe before that. I will wait the corret moment. Suddenly I started to get too attracted to the Mirrage. I didn't like this plane before! Lol.

I think DCS should have aircrafts separated per classes, like 3rd gen, 4th gen, etc, just to balance online battles.

Is there some topic around here talking about missile avoidance?

Thanks for all suggestions!

Edited by Shadoware