L39 trimming issue.

504smudge

Hey guys I'm having an off issue with the trimming in the L39 I can't figure out, when I trim the trimming needle in front of the stick moves and the light goes out when trimming left and right, but it's having no impact on how the aircraft is flying at any speed, I've also had a Look external and the trim tabs are moving. No matter what I do the aircraft just flies nose heavy until I get over 700km/h

Has anyone else has this issue? And any ideas how to solve it?

Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

https://www.youtube.com/user/504smudge

https://www.facebook.com/504smudge

• 9 months later...

hey

i m haveing the problem as well

well - with every aircraft tbh...

- f-86 Sabre

i thought its a bug and i got really frustrated cause trim doesnt work at all (u can see the trim pad moves but the joystick doesnt)

- and then i bought the L-39 alb...

doesnt work as well...

WHY? FFB is off and trim is conected... even if i press the trim butten directly in sim... doesnt work...

here is the problem: [ame]

[/ame]

so my question is - cause this post is quite old now - you guys haveing the solution? i cant fly anything cause trim doesnt work...

This is a known bug, it's affecting many people with FFB joysticks. They have been working on a fix for some time but so far no luck.

If you haven't updated to the latest update 7/15 you can use Alt-J to jump out and then back into your aircraft and the trim should work. It will work until you hit ESC, then you will have to Alt-J again to fix it again.

The latest update breaks the "fix" of using Alt-J so you might not want to upgrade until they get this sorted out.

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

so if it´s a well known problem - why does it take so long to fix this problem? >:(

So, i have no FFB harware at my pc and i turned it -->off<--... why am i haveing the problem? it seems other virtual pilots can handel the problem. But i´m trying so many things the last couple days...

I'm also constantly experiencing by this behaviour. Trimmer hat & trimmer tabs move, but stick and plane aren't affected.

On my end enabling or disabling FFB in options has no effect. I'm using heavily modified xbox 360 gamepad strapped to my thigh where your kneeboard goes, which acts as rumblepack and 5 axis / 4way hat / 10 buttons controller. Even if I completely clear mapping from that controller and disable ffb in the dcs options, the issue is still present. It seems that the only thing which works is removing the device completely.

Flying without trim is pain, flying without early warning vibration/rumble is slightly inconvenient too after you get used to it.

For example LNS Mig21 doesn't feature the vibration/rumble at all and the trim works even with the gamepad plugged in. I wonder whether it is mutually exclusive feature...trim or ffb (although simple rumble shouldn't be affected by ffb itself as it is just vibration when shaking occurs).

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

• ED Team

You made my evening... You do not know the right spell to force the elevator moving... by the way, did you try to check if the trimmer tab is deflectings as you press the hat?

... trying to trim standing plane... it's a great idea!

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Yo-Yo, please, it's been mentioned in numerous threads about this bug already. All the animations of the various aircraft 3D models work perfectly, both internal (trim switches, indicators) and external (tabs). It's just, for some reason the physics of the sim doesn't apply these trim changes. Doesn't matter if on the ground or in the air.

What's most puzzling to me is, why the 2 x Alt-J trick used to restore correct trim operation two updates ago, and why it doesn't anymore. Also, why it affects different aircraft in different way (for example, in P-51 rudder trim works, but elevator and aileron ones do not). I can only guess it's somehow related to the new hot plug feature.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

If it was me who made your evening, I'm honestly glad because I know how important a good laugh in the friday evening is after the whole week of hard work! ;)

You made my evening... You do not know the right spell to force the elevator moving... by the way, did you try to check if the trimmer tab is deflectings as you press the hat?

... trying to trim standing plane... it's a great idea!

The plane I was trying to trim was in flight though with no effect, yet I do not claim it is a bug, just unfortunate behaviour that after some further testing today I think and hope I can better explain...

When you tell a flight-simmer term FFB, he thinks e.g. MS SidewinderFF2 or G940 - i.e. real deal forcefeedback. If you tell FFB to gamer, he thinks xbox/playstation gamepad or some cheaper joystick, i.e. rumble/vibration kind. Unfortunately some drivers for the game hardware are flagged as FFB-capable, despite they do not have motors on axis to create force and move the stick, just vibrate - although it uses the same protocol.

Here comes DCS and the implementation of FFB. Let's take the second possibility - joystick with vibration, but not real FFB. DCS detects a driver with FFB-enabled, thus the joystick is expected to behave like full FFB stick, but of course it won't as it doesn't have the real hardware capability to do so.

You fly your Albatros, trying to trim it...hat moves, trim tab moves, indicators indicate what they should, DCS sends command via FFB protocol that the joystick should engage the motor on axis to move according to your trim input, but since we don't have the motor there in the first place, nothing happens. Joystick on the table stays in the centre naturally as does the virtual stick in the cockpit.

I realised this today after flying Dora, where I had no problem - my gamepad rumbled during hard pulls on the stick and the trim worked fine. All this because the trim in Dora is adjustable horizontal stabilizer which has no effect on the stick in cockpit, thus no conflict in controls...

Since there are more people who do have this issues, maybe it would be worthwhile to investigate further and consider some kind of option in the DCS settings along with full ForceFeedback on/off as we currently have and separate "limited ffb" rumble/vibration only on/off (where only the shaking would be transferred, but not the stick forces, axis movement expectations etc). In any case, thanks for reading!

Edit & Summary:

In the DCS options, I believe it would be helpful, if possible, to have these 3 options that could hopefully clear the problem:

• FFB off - absolute ffb off, regardless whether DCS recognise device/driver present in the system that is ffb-capable. DCS will not expect the stick to be moved by the ffb motor in any case.

• Rumble only - limited ffb. DCS recognise device/driver that is ffb-capable but will not expect stick movement by the motor - very similar to the above with ffb off. However the stick will still receive the rumble/shake information for near stall vibration/buffeting etc.

• Full FFB on - just like we have currently in DCS, for fully FFB capable sticks where DCS expects the stick to be moved by the motor, stiffening, shaking, etc.

Edited by Spectrum Legacy
Added summary & possible solution

• ED Team
If it was me who made your evening, I'm honestly glad because I know how important a good laugh in the friday evening is after the whole week of hard work! ;)

The plane I was trying to trim was in flight though with no effect, yet I do not claim it is a bug, just unfortunate behaviour that after some further testing today I think and hope I can better explain...

When you tell a flight-simmer term FFB, he thinks e.g. MS SidewinderFF2 or G940 - i.e. real deal forcefeedback. If you tell FFB to gamer, he thinks xbox/playstation gamepad or some cheaper joystick, i.e. rumble/vibration kind. Unfortunately some drivers for the game hardware are flagged as FFB-capable, despite they do not have motors on axis to create force and move the stick, just vibrate - although it uses the same protocol.

Here comes DCS and the implementation of FFB. Let's take the second possibility - joystick with vibration, but not real FFB. DCS detects a driver with FFB-enabled, thus the joystick is expected to behave like full FFB stick, but of course it won't as it doesn't have the real hardware capability to do so.

You fly your Albatros, trying to trim it...hat moves, trim tab moves, indicators indicate what they should, DCS sends command via FFB protocol that the joystick should engage the motor on axis to move according to your trim input, but since we don't have the motor there in the first place, nothing happens. Joystick on the table stays in the centre naturally as does the virtual stick in the cockpit.

I realised this today after flying Dora, where I had no problem - my gamepad rumbled during hard pulls on the stick and the trim worked fine. All this because the trim in Dora is adjustable horizontal stabilizer which has no effect on the stick in cockpit, thus no conflict in controls...

Since there are more people who do have this issues, maybe it would be worthwhile to investigate further and consider some kind of option in the DCS settings along with full ForceFeedback on/off as we currently have and separate "limited ffb" rumble/vibration only on/off (where only the shaking would be transferred, but not the stick forces, axis movement expectations etc). In any case, thanks for reading!

Edit & Summary:

In the DCS options, I believe it would be helpful, if possible, to have these 3 options that could hopefully clear the problem:

• FFB off - absolute ffb off, regardless whether DCS recognise device/driver present in the system that is ffb-capable. DCS will not expect the stick to be moved by the ffb motor in any case.

• Rumble only - limited ffb. DCS recognise device/driver that is ffb-capable but will not expect stick movement by the motor - very similar to the above with ffb off. However the stick will still receive the rumble/shake information for near stall vibration/buffeting etc.

• Full FFB on - just like we have currently in DCS, for fully FFB capable sticks where DCS expects the stick to be moved by the motor, stiffening, shaking, etc.

If it was in flight I apologise for my comment. All trimmers I use now works perefectly for my MSFF as they intended. Bf-109, Mustang.. I can not say about L-39 as I can not remember the last time I use it.

The problem of "disappearing spring loading", though, I encounter very often. :)

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

If it was in flight I apologise for my comment. All trimmers I use now works perefectly for my MSFF as they intended. Bf-109, Mustang.. I can not say about L-39 as I can not remember the last time I use it.

The problem of "disappearing spring loading", though, I encounter very often. :)

FFB trim works correctly with my G-940 in L-39C/ZA and moves the stick as expected.

No problem Yo-yo, it was joke on me! :D

Just to clarify again, it is not bug in L39 itself, but how DCS detects forcefeedback devices in general I believe.

When you use full FFB stick (g940, ms sidewinder ff2, etc) there is no problem. When you use completely non-FFB stick (vkb cobra, non-ffb saiteks, etc), there is no problem as well. If you use non-FFB stick + partial or full FFB device connected at the same time (racing wheel pedals, DirectInput gamepad, etc), there will be controller conflict in DCS and it will break the trim function. In this last case, Forcefeedack on/off switch in DCS options will no longer work or change anything.

For now, only way to fix this for users is to remove the secondary device completely, or disable FFB property in that second device by editing driver or registry values.

As previous suggested, disabling FFB in windows registry fixed all my aircrafts (L39/Su 25 and 27) FFB trim related problems. ( Saitek + Thrustmaster racing pedals )

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER > System > CurrentControlSet > Control > MediaProperties > PrivateProperties > Joystick > OEM > VID(your-FFB-input-id) > OEMForceFeedback]

In OEMForceFeedback Permissions, deny all. Reboot, windows will detect the selected device without FFB.

Editing the registry as above fixed the trim issue with my wingman rumblepad. At least now I can fly without having to ALT J all the time. Thanks.

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10