RSBM / PRMG Operational?

Flamin_Squirrel

So I'm trying to land at K-Center.

Navigation 40 works just fine, gives me bearing and range correction. 2 green lights.

With Landing set to 38, when I move the switch over to "landing" I get no lights at all. With landing set to 40, I get a single green light (left one).

Is the landing RSBN working properly?

Additionally, the K-center vector from ATC is always to Runway 27. But seems like the RSBN is for Runway 09?

I am flying from Krasnodar and I have exactly the same problem. RSBN landing channel 38 does not seem to work even when landing on runway 09, I get no green lights when I switch RSBN to landing mode. ATC prefers RWY27, except stronger winds coming from the east.

Yes, winds must be over 3m/s (10 km/h) to activate RWY09. A bit strange that ATC prefers RWY27 when the PRMG is active only in RWY09.

Edit:

I´ve tried Maykop and I don´t have this behaviour. Looking at the Beacons.lua file it could be an error in the Krasnodar - Center definition, a wrong "," placed maybe.

Edited by Tarres

Have been experiencing the same issue others were mentioning. Have inputted the correct channels, and have no problem using navigation or glide slope mode, but as soon as I switch to landing mode, both lights are no longer green. I have attempted using the mode at Krymsk and Maykop, and neither have worked for me. I have also set the course pointer on the RMI.

Well, after some readings, it´s not a bug.

In short.

If you set a RSBN frequency in the PRMG selector, you´ve got azimut indication "to the RSBN position" not to the PRMG glidepath.

RSBN and PRMG are different beacons. You can have a RSBN without a PRMG associated. In the USSR, RSBN were used for civil and military air navigation (sort of VOR/DME) but PRMGs are military systems, so there are only PRMGs at military airfields.

In the Krasnodar or Maykop examples, if the RWY that have PRMG is closed, the PRMG signal is turned off. If you set the RSBN frequency in the PRMG and set landing mode you have got indication of the azimut position of the RSBN beacon, but nothing else.

Sorry for my english.

Well, after some readings, it´s not a bug.

In short.

If you set a RSBN frequency in the PRMG selector, you´ve got azimut indication "to the RSBN position" not to the PRMG glidepath.

RSBN and PRMG are different beacons. You can have a RSBN without a PRMG associated. In the USSR, RSBN were used for civil and military air navigation (sort of VOR/DME) but PRMGs are military systems, so there are only PRMGs at military airfields.

In the Krasnodar or Maykop examples, if the RWY that have PRMG is closed, the PRMG signal is turned off. If you set the RSBN frequency in the PRMG and set landing mode you have got indication of the azimut position of the RSBN beacon, but nothing else.

Sorry for my english.

Thanks. Will re-test with enough weather to activate the appropriate runways.

Just as a followup, it does seem to be working properly.

Tested at Krymsk, with a 10m/s wind from the NE. Vectored in for RWY 04. Switched to landing mode, channel 26, and got the heading and glideslope indicators on the HSI with range information on the PPD.

Re-tested, same wind, starting to the north east, and confirmed that when vectored in to RWY 04, the PRMG showed no data when I was outside of the glide slope limits on the wrong side of the runway. As soon as I overflew the runway in the wrong direction (flying over runway 22), after a little bit my RMI picked up the glide path (though I was flying away, not towards it) and heading data, and the PPD accurately showed the range. The RSI lost signal right as I overflew the end of the runway.

One question however. When in landing mode, only the "DISTANCE CORRECTION" signal lamp (of the two green bulbs, the one on the right) was lit. The AZIMUTH lamp stayed dark. Is this expected in landing mode?

Yes. You need to set the RSBN and the PRMG channels to get all the signals.

They are different but complementary signals with independent beacons.

Approach to the AFB via RSBN, then set descend mode to intercept glidepath and then set landing (PRMG signal) to land.

There is a lot of confusion about

- Active runways at certain airspeeds with tailwind/headwind

- Runways equipped with RSBN and/or PRMG or nothing of that kind

Is there any overview / spreadsheet available that gives a clear picture what´s going on at each airfield of the caucasus theatre?

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

RSBN: for navigation only. Sort of VORTAC. 4 in the Caucasus area: Krymsk, Krasnodar, Maykop and Mozdok.

PRMG: for landings. Sort of Russian military only ILS. Available at the 4 military bases of the Caucusus map: Krymsk and Mozdok, available for both approaches, obviously only available in the active runway. Maykop and Krasnodar Center, only available for RWY 22 and 09

If you set a RSBN channel in the PRMG component of the RSBN-4 system you get a bearing indication of the position of the RSBN beacon only, with the azimuth light of the system on, never with the distance light on, independently of the runway that is active.

I don't see any problems using the system.

One more thing, do not compare this system with the more simplified system that is used in the 21. It's the same RSBN-4 only in name. The L-39 depicts a real RSBN/PRMG system that is more useful to navigate across the map

Sorry for my English.

RSBN: for navigation only. Sort of VORTAC. 4 in the Caucasus area: Krymsk, Krasnodar, Maykop and Mozdok.

PRMG: for landings. Sort of Russian military only ILS. Available at the 4 military bases of the Caucusus map: Krymsk and Mozdok, available for both approaches, obviously only available in the active runway. Maykop and Krasnodar Center, only available for RWY 22 and 09

If you set a RSBN channel in the PRMG component of the RSBN-4 system you get a bearing indication of the position of the RSBN beacon only, with the azimuth light of the system on, never with the distance light on, independently of the runway that is active.

I don't see any problems using the system.

One more thing, do not compare this system with the more simplified system that is used in the 21. It's the same RSBN-4 only in name. The L-39 depicts a real RSBN/PRMG system that is more useful to navigate across the map

Sorry for my English.

Thanks. I guess this should enter the "Beacon Map" in some way...

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

After some testing, it seems that PRMG at Maykop airbase is available for runway 04 only. That would correspond with the markings on the map...

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

Hallo, I do not work in L39c income PRMG channels. RSBN operating normally. Once you switch to your landing is no PRMG signal. (Mozdok, Krymsk, Krasnodar, Maykop). Thank You

I just did a PRMG on Krymsk RWY 04, Channel 26, three way switch on Landing mode. It works without any problem, both flags are off (horizontal and vertical needles are working)

Also a PRMG on Krasnodar Center RWY 09, channel 38, works fine.

(Maybe you should test what is actually the active runway with the tower, because somewhere i read that it may affect the PRMG)

<==DCS Flaming Cliffs 3: Operation Grand Slam

<==Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2 Tribute

I just did a PRMG on Krymsk RWY 04, Channel 26, three way switch on Landing mode. It works without any problem, both flags are off (horizontal and vertical needles are working)

Also a PRMG on Krasnodar Center RWY 09, channel 38, works fine.

(Maybe you should test what is actually the active runway with the tower, because somewhere i read that it may affect the PRMG)

Correct. There's no PRMG for the non-active runway. You can determine active runway by asking ATC, or by listening to the beacon broadcasts. (NDBs for the non active runway won't broadcast either.)

• 7 months later...
Correct. There's no PRMG for the non-active runway. You can determine active runway by asking ATC, or by listening to the beacon broadcasts. (NDBs for the non active runway won't broadcast either.)

I did 3 try to landing in Maykob. I set all perfect PRMG setting with all frequencies correct. Then when I ask for Landing ATC send me to runaway 22. When I expect landing by runaway 4 to test the PRMG landing. What kind of joke is this? It is set as random or I need change the wind direction in editor?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep. By default, in non-wind condition, ATC for Maykop always tells You to operate from 22. So only setting up some wind in editor will change its mind. Same limitation applies to Krasnodar.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.