merge gun problem

DLEGION

hello all guys!

i'm not sure this is the right secion for this topic, i hope it is, if its wrong i apologize!

well, when i play gun dogfight i consider myself more or less decent, at least i can usually have at least a snapshot on my opponent (i usually miss but thats my poor aim problem, lol), and as today i usually can understand, looking tacview, what i did wrong and what i should have done.

BUT...

there is one specific maneuver that kills me 100% of the times, without giving me any chance to even have a lucky snapshot, and thats really frustrating.

i attached a tacview file in *.rar format, with a lot (20+) engagements like this, i can describe this as a kind of :

get faster at merge, climb, and while the opponent (me) struggle to get up, turn down and kill.

while on the paper its ok to have an advantage of energy ecc...i'm quite sure there must be a way to counter this, or starting slower and lower means 100% death?

i think there should be a way ... but have really no idea what to do.

any of you have a suggestion for me ?

really thanks for any help guys !!

SETH-climb-only2.rar

So he is watching what you are doing and changing his tactics in reaction to you ... Basic BFM: 'manoeuvre in relation to the bandit', he is obviously no beginner.

BFM is hard, no easy solution ... keep watching him for hints of what he will do and react - probably not a lot of help sorry.

Not sure if you've read up on BFM, but try searching for 'aetcttp11-1' ... very helpful.

Try watching some of the recent TopGun 2019 videos for other tips ... Stuge does a great commentary :)

PS> We could do with a Tactics section on the forum.

yep, my opponent was a great pilot, for sure way better than me, and i dont think or ask to win on him, my point is that usually i learn something when i lose, while here i'm stuck....i have no idea what i should do to at least give myself a chance.

i just downloaded " aetcttp11-1.pdf " ..wow its awesome material! will have a good read there ! thanks !

for the rest...i watched many tutorial but never found anything specific on this technique.

its more than a month now that this guys with this technique beat me every single time he uses it, i know it perfectly, i exactly know what he will do and when, but seems i can't do nothing to block this! that drives me crazy!

he used other techniques too in past weeks, and i learned from my mistakes up to a point where now we both have a chance to win (in the end determined by better aim / a bit of luck / the correct anticipation / ecc...), while in this situation its like if he press an "i win" magic button, with only 1 result.

i tried zoom climb after him (the worse option), spiral optimal climb, do not climb at all, lower my altitude even more, tried build up speed, tried lowering my speed, tried moving away at maximum speed, tried everything it came to my mind....nothing worked.

thanks for every help guys!

Well, you are always going to be at a disadvantage because of its inherent weight ... what fuel load are you flying with? Try flying with a minimal fuel load - the big fighters need to dump fuel!

I fly the 15, so can't really help with specifics.

This is especially a problem when you jump in loaded with fuel and they've been flying a while and burnt fuel ... remember 2degs/sec is a significant advantage and being 6000lbs heavier might drop you 5degs/sec

Edited by Kula66

realistically speaking it's a suicide maneuver.

are you failing to turn inside his circle for some reason? if he is approaching above corner there is no reason why you shouldn't simply be able to turn inside and shoot him.

post a video if possible i guess. albeit, this doesn't really work in anything besides guns only, so i don't know if it's really a realistic problem to be facing as guns only is vanishingly rare.