How to Correctly Install Your Mods

Just wanted to check if anyone else is seeing the same as me. I use a sym link to a liveries folder on a separate drive where there is more space than the main dcs install. Previously all was working well, now after one of the recent patches...not sure which.....if I go into the Spitfire special options and look at cockpit liveries I see all the aircraft skins listed where I expected to just see "Default". I do not have a Cockpit livery folder set up for the Spitfire. In fact the only one I do have is one for the F18. I do have a texture mod for the Spitfire cockpit but it is installed as a mod not an alternate cockpit livery (ie \Saved Games\DCS\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\Textures type of thing). Skins for the Spitfire generally appear to work fine in game and the cockpit in game appears as expected.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to where it is going wrong?

Edited by Stonehouse
spelling

Just wanted to check if anyone else is seeing the same as me. I use a sym link to a liveries folder on a separate drive where there is more space than the main dcs install. Previously all was working well, now after one of the recent patches...not sure which.....if I go into the Spitfire special options and look at cockpit liveries I see all the aircraft skins listed where I expected to just see "Default". I do not have a Cockpit livery folder set up for the Spitfire. In fact the only one I do have is one for the F18. I do have a texture mod for the Spitfire cockpit but it is installed as a mod not an alternate cockpit livery (ie \Saved Games\DCS\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\Textures type of thing). Skins for the Spitfire generally appear to work fine in game and the cockpit in game appears as expected.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to where it is going wrong?

Good luck getting an answer.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Just wanted to check if anyone else is seeing the same as me. I use a sym link to a liveries folder on a separate drive where there is more space than the main dcs install. Previously all was working well, now after one of the recent patches...not sure which.....if I go into the Spitfire special options and look at cockpit liveries I see all the aircraft skins listed where I expected to just see "Default". I do not have a Cockpit livery folder set up for the Spitfire. In fact the only one I do have is one for the F18. I do have a texture mod for the Spitfire cockpit but it is installed as a mod not an alternate cockpit livery ..

It's clearly a bug .. I have the same, and I'm not using symlinks nor Mods, so I doubt those are related to this bug:

8f7yCjK.jpg

Good luck getting an answer.

That's probably not because of any ill will, but because this problem isnt related to the thread's topic ... I bet that it would have garnered more visibility if posted as a new thread on the Spitfire's Sub-forum.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

It's clearly a bug .. I have the same, and I'm not using symlinks nor Mods, so I doubt those are related to this bug:

8f7yCjK.jpg

That's probably not because of any ill will, but because this problem isnt related to the thread's topic ... I bet that it would have garnered more visibility if posted as a new thread on the Spitfire's Sub-forum.

Best regards

I didn’t ask anything to do with the Spitfire. I asked why what I had done, related to correctly installing mods, wasn’t working. I also posted the same question in the JSGME thread, again with no responses.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Ok thanks to both of you. I guess I posted here because I thought it might be related somehow to using the symbolic link. It's hard at times to decide where to ask the question.

I did look over in the Spitfire section but must have missed any posts referring to the issue (and didn't think of the JSGME thread) so I thought I was probably alone with the problem. Sort of good to hear it is a bug though as then there is hope it will go away.

• 1 month later...

same problem here. must be a bug.

all spit skin installed in saved game appears in my custom cockpit special menu spitfire instead or "default" or "alternative"

no way to add an alternative cockpit texture that way.

I gave a try to make a directory in mods/....cockpittexture with the same name as stock zip textexture file don't seem to work either as it used to be in the past.

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody have an idea why input mods aren't being applied from saved games dir? (Mods/aircraft/aircraftname/Input/)

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's absurd that gamers are being directed to install mods in a profile folder within Windows.

1. Windows crashes (highly likely at some point) and you have no backup, you just lost all of your work.

2. I don't want to pack my C: drive with 100 GB of skins. I haven't the storage space for that. I have a 250GB SSD for my OS drive, 2 x 1 TB SSDs for my game drives, 3 x 3 TB mechanical HDDs for my backup and storage needs and 24 TB on a NAS. I don't need more storage. I need an option to park the mods where I want. Not where ED wants.

3. Telling Windows to save my profile on another disk is not an option. Why? Because when creating a disc image in Windows of your C: drive, it'll grab the entire contents of the drive where your profile resides because Windows will park system files on the drive and include it in a backup. Then my disc image backup of my OS goes from 70 GB to 2.5 TB. Not an option.

4. How about letting us decide where we want to put the mods with a path option in the game options menu? Seems like a decent fix for this dilemma.

Edited by Bananimal

Bananimal's DCS Mods and Skins

I think it's absurd that gamers are being directed to install mods in a profile folder within Windows.

You mean the /Saved Games/ folder? .. it isnt within Windows, its within your user folder at /Users/

1. Windows crashes (highly likely at some point) and you have no backup, you just lost all of your work.

First of all, you should NEVER be without a backup. Second, the probability of a failure on the C hard drive is the same as the probability of a failure on wichever other drive you have on your PC .. you can lose the data on any drive at any point in time ... thats why you have a backup.

2. I don't want to pack my C: drive with 100 GB of skins. I haven't the storage space for that.

You dont have to .. I've got the liveries on my F:\ drive .. google the MKLINK /J command, to be able to relocate whichever folder you want, wherever you want :)

I have a 250GB SSD for my OS drive, 2 x 1 TB SSDs for my game drives, 3 x 3 TB mechanical HDDs for my backup and storage needs and 24 TB on a NAS.

mmm .. so, you do have a backup :D

I don't need more storage. I need an option to park the mods where I want. Not where ED wants.

Again .. the MKLINK /J command is your friend with this .. I've all of my DCS config data (user missions, logbook, input profiles, even screenshots) on the drive that I want.

3. Telling Windows to save my profile on another disk is not an option. Why? Because when creating a disc image in Windows of your C: drive, it'll grab the entire contents of the drive where your profile resides because Windows will park system files on the drive and include it in a backup. Then my disc image backup of my OS goes from 70 GB to 2.5 TB. Not an option.

Strange, never had that problem myself .. but I only backup my user folder and not the whole system drive.

Well, lets hope that ED hears your plea.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

• 3 weeks later...

I am a bit confused now regarding importing liveries via a symbolic link, I know how to create the link but I am confused about where to create the folders.

I have my liveries on my E: drive specifically in E:\DCS.Liveries

In my C:\User\Saved games folder I have the following folders DCS and DCS.openbeta

Where do I create the liveries folder I want to link from(the one on the C: drive)? This is what is confusing me.

Does it go in the root of Saved games does it go in DCS.Openbeta or does it go in the DCS folder?

Can someone help me with this please.

Cheers

SD

[sIGPIC]sigpic55726_5.gif[/sIGPIC]

I have my liveries on my E: drive specifically in E:\DCS.Liveries

Hello

We have almost the same setup .. I have mine on this path:

jCi5L3c.jpg

In my C:\User\Saved games folder I have the following folders DCS and DCS.openbeta

Where do I create the liveries folder I want to link from(the one on the C: drive)? This is what is confusing me.

Does it go in the root of Saved games does it go in DCS.Openbeta or does it go in the DCS folder?

The link goes on the DCS folder, and in fact you can have it on both at the same time, sharing the same liveries on both of your DCS versions.

I have my openbeta set like this:

OUF1tAx.jpg

and my DCS 1.5 set like this:

3NR02YR.jpg

Both have the link set to the same location :)

Best regards,

]

• 4 weeks later...

Edit - It finally worked out! Now I can hopefully start modding this great game:)

Out of curiosity, does people use the mod-enabelers or do they simply put them into the directory of the game?

And what are people's thoughts on DCS standalone vs. Steam when it comes to modding? any difference?

Hello all.

Now I've been flying 100+hours, I'm getting more and more interested in getting some mods on.

But until now I have had no success with enabling anything, and hoping a helpful soul in here could steer me in the right direction.

First of all, flying on the Steam version, 2nd only flying in MP and third, looking into the A10-C cockpit mod from Bummer (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=216257).

I've tried his guide, but no success, I've tried this original guide and no success.

Been putting them into: C:\Users\USERNAME\Saved games\DCS\Mods

Called it the exact same as in the original file (A_10_C_EDM_TEX)

That should be it right? I tried JSGME a couple of times, but nothing's changed.

I dont know if its because of me running the Steam version or whats going on, but nothings seems to happen when I then load up the game and go under SETTINGS-SPECIAL-A10C-COUSTOMIZED COCKPIT, I still only have the Default.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Edited by Jonas P

Edit - It finally worked out! Now I can hopefully start modding this great game:)

Out of curiosity, does people use the mod-enabelers or do they simply put them into the directory of the game?

And what are people's thoughts on DCS standalone vs. Steam when it comes to modding? any difference?

Hello all.

Now I've been flying 100+hours, I'm getting more and more interested in getting some mods on.

But until now I have had no success with enabling anything, and hoping a helpful soul in here could steer me in the right direction.

First of all, flying on the Steam version, 2nd only flying in MP and third, looking into the A10-C cockpit mod from Bummer (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=216257).

I've tried his guide, but no success, I've tried this original guide and no success.

Been putting them into: C:\Users\USERNAME\Saved games\DCS\Mods

Called it the exact same as in the original file (A_10_C_EDM_TEX)

That should be it right? I tried JSGME a couple of times, but nothing's changed.

I dont know if its because of me running the Steam version or whats going on, but nothings seems to happen when I then load up the game and go under SETTINGS-SPECIAL-A10C-COUSTOMIZED COCKPIT, I still only have the Default.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Steam and standalone should be no different then having a different file path (although most mods now can be put in saved games). As for mod enablers (i'm assuming JSGME), i no longer have a need to use it since mods put in saved games don't fail integrity check anymore (Most occasions).

Hope that helps!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Director | Team Coordinator

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz
  • Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 Motherboard
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz Ram
  • 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD

I still use a Mod Manager, even if most of my Mods go into /Saved Games rather than /Program Files ... it makes easy to disable all Mods at once when I'm having a problem with DCS .. it is literally the first step to isolating a bug's origin.

69hG6ek.jpg

Cant say, since I mostly use stand alone, but it should be the same, except for the different filepath.

• 1 month later...

Markindel's Ju-88 Mod.

This useful mod has been re-posted on the DCS User Files site a few days ago. I have been trying to install it with limited success. Have installed the N3D-JU-88 folder in Saved Games>DCS>Mods>Aircraft. The problem is that it only shows up in M.E. as a stationary object under U.S.A. Planes. It is not in any Third Reich or other Axis country's objects lists, and it is not available as an AI object at all. I have re-downloaded and re-installed several times without success and am completely stumped. Would greatly appreciate any help available.

Regards,

Mich

I dont have that Mod, if you provide a link I can try it out and see if I can help.

I dont have that Mod, if you provide a link I can try it out and see if I can help.

Hi Rudel,

Thanks for your reply. I found the download by Googling "DCS User Files", selecting "MOD" in file type, then "Filter".

The file appeared there about 3 days ago but since I posted (about 2 hours ago) the download seems to have been removed from that site. I cannot understand why that has happened. In the absence of the file, are you able to tell me how to find the path to where DCS assigns aircraft to countries?

Regards,

Mich

In the absence of the file, are you able to tell me how to find the path to where DCS assigns aircraft to countries?

In the case of Modded aircrafts, they usually contain a file called entry.lua .. this file contains a line that tells which lua defines the characteristics of the new aircraft, its a line like this:

dofile(current_mod_path..'/N3D-JU-88.lua')

Now, if we check the N3D-JU-88.lua file, near its end there is a line like this:

Countries = {"Third Reich","Germany", "USA"},

On this line you can specify aditional countries .. I prefer to use the abreviated code name for each country, rather than the full name where its easy to make a typo. The country codes are:

u25yftG.jpg

Thus the above line could say:

Countries = {"NZG","GER", "USA"},

Best regards

• 2 weeks later...

I'm obviously not understanding the different install instructions for different mods so is there a program that will install these in the correct position? I tried to install a US NAVY DECK CREW mod and cant get it to work. Some of us are not computer programmers.

I'm obviously not understanding the different install instructions for different mods so is there a program that will install these in the correct position?

There are so many different aspects of DCS that can be modded, that I doubt a single program could handle all of them: Liveries, Cockpits, new ships, vehicles, aircrafts, changes to the terrain, the sounds, etc, etc ..

.. that’s why each Mod usually cames with instructions on how to install, tough I admit that they are geared more towards the advanced DCS user, as they are the ones more likely to use a Mod.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, yesterday I built my first mod - a very simple customization of the F/A-18C ALE-47 countermeasures dispenser profiles - but can't make it work when installed in Saved Games\DCS (or DCS.openbeta) mirror of the main game directory folder structure.

It's a single lua file, nothing special... and I am more than sure that the folder structure is completely identical.

If I apply it to the main game directory - I am using OvGME for managing it - it works like a charm.

I really can't spot what I am missing, especially because other mods I have work perfectly when put in Saved Games folders... any help?

Thanks in advance, please find my mod attached below should you need to have a look.

FA-18C ALE-47.zip

BlueRaven.jpg

Nulla Dies Sine Linea

I really can't spot what I am missing, especially because other mods I have work perfectly when put in Saved Games folders... any help?

Hello,

On saved games you can place Mods that add new airplanes, liveries, custom cockpits .. you can’t use saved games to modify an existing DCS Module’s files .. for this type of Mod you have to target the /program files/eagle dynamics/ path rather than /saved games/dcs/

Keep in mind that altering a DCS module will most likely impact on the Multiplayer’s Integrity Check, so most Mods of this kind are used only on Single Player.

Best regards and thanks for sharing the Mod, will give it a try when I return from my vacations.

:)