Combat-Helo

EagleEye

From SIMHQ.com:

Seems the rumors are true! Richard "Flexman" Hawley has announced his new project, Longbow Combat-Helo, and SimHQ is happy to announce we will be hosting the official forums.
Developers Blog: http://combathelo.blogspot.com/

Officiall SIMHQ Longbow Combat-Helo Forum: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/216/1/Longbow_Combat_Helo.html

weapons_in_editor2.jpg

apache_closeup.jpg

The campaign is near real-time, there's no "between" screens. No "end mission" screen. Once your in the game, you're in it till you leave or transferred to another map (camp). You land, exit the chopper, perform other duties. Fly another sortie.
We're re-creating the style and excitment of the great sims made in the 90s made popular by Origin and Microprose. Using new technology we can turn the traditional 2D screens into 3D interactive environments. That's actually less work than having to make a whole set of between mission art, code, user interfaces and jumping between them. Making this project work has all been about doing more with less, that's been my mantra from the start and the only way I think we'll see a resurgence of combat sims that don't take years to make.
It's a question of "who has authoritah!!!!". Our vehicles have a 'hook' system for positions. The Longbow has two internal, and two external infantry hooks on the wings (oh yes). Internally flight controls are duplicated, but the aircraft will only accept input from one client, we have voice cues for "You have control/I have control" responses to indicate transfer of input authority.
We'll divide up down the various weapons and sensor commands accordingly. For example the pilot having command of the chain gun, cp/g operating AGMs. TrackIR is working great btw.
External hooks are for players to jump on if needed (if we ever add Little Birds - nudge nudge). Ever had to perform an emergency landing in your sim but stuck with nowhere to go? This is where you find out who your friends are.
I´m happy that a new combat helicopter simulation is in the works!:cheer3nc:
Edited by EagleEye

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has some potential to kick ass. Love the first person aspect to it, when you're in the war, you're in it. That's great. That little tease about the little bird is cool to. I have no doubt your wait wouldn't be too long. There is a long line of rescue pilots who'd love the chance to come pick you up. :)

The pictures look really neat. The video looks like a development version but still very intruiging! Looking forward to how this will shape up!

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

Interesting. I like the approach of actually walking around instead of clicking through GUIs, but I wonder how this will work out in a simulation for mission planning, armament and stuff like that.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

We're re-creating the style and excitment of the great sims made in the 90s made popular by Origin and Microprose.

I love sims that tell a story, like Wings of Glory and Strike Commander, where a world exists beyond the confines of the cockpit. Missions need more context and purpose than a wall of text presented just before the mission starts. They need a home base that oozes atmosphere, filled with characters and stories that immerse you in the world. You should personally know your wingmen and feel bad when they die. Modern sims lack the human touch, they are all avionics, physics, faceless AI and robotic missions with no heart.

I love sims that tell a story, like Wings of Glory and Strike Commander
I agree with Coax on that point. Strike Commander was really good with getting the player into that world but it would be a pitty if the Flight physics avionics or anything else technical that makes it so "deep" gets less attention. So we finally have a pretty arcade "sim" with a mind blowing story but far awy from reality. I think it´s a matter of budget and time to make both elements working together in one product.

EDIT: I guess Longbow Combat-Helo can´t get that realistic from the Start as I thought many systems are classified and he isn´t working with any AH64D Pilots or the manufacturers together. At the moment he doesn´t even have enough reference Pictures for the Cockpit :P

I would be miles more interested in a Mi-24 /35 Sim than into this old AH64 thing. Anyone who has never ever been flying an Apache? Guess not.

Edited by BKLronin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spot on. Great news, cheers. I'm browisng the forums atm actually, and it looks too good to be true.. Infantry..

Originally Posted By: ricnunes

1- Will this sim also model a "counter-insurgency" campaign (fighting against non-conventional forces) similar to the current Afghan or Iraq war? IMO, it would be great to see "counter-insurgency" campaigns and not only the usual conventional-war ones that we see in other combat helo sims.

Currently the aim is to include 5 'factions'. The US army, the Iranian army, The Taliban, Tajik forces/ANA, and civilians. The initial combat missions you fly will be against Taliban forces. They will be moving between settlements on the map forcing the civilians over to their 'side'. You will be tasked with providing CAS to your ground forces and pushing Taliban forces out of civilian areas.

2- Will we see lots of infantry foot soldiers in this sim? IMO, the biggest flaw in most combat helicopter sims (like Jane's Longbow 2 or EECH) is that infantry foot soldiers are almost unexistant (where it should be exactly the opposite). IMO the only helicopter sim that modeled infantry foot soldiers properly was DI's Hind.

This is a key aspect we are aiming for.

3- Like Vegas already asked, is there a general timeline to project completion?

It's near impossible to make any realistic estimates at this time.

Cheers

Too many cowboys. Not enough indians.

GO APE SH*T

If the game has the same functionality as LB2, with a bit better graphics and works well with newer Windows system, I play it. A lot.

Well keep in mind this sim has only been in development since September of last year; I'm sure the graphics will come along.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Very promising. I hope they will finish it!

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

This looks very promising. I really like the collidable trees and the cockpit detail. Let's hope he will get it as high fidelity as possible.
If you read the blog you'll see that they are, sadly, not aiming for a high fidelity sim...

I do hope folks realise that Combat Helo is not going to be a military spec simulator, it's a worry that my idea of the game isn't going to be other peoples idea. As an indie group of only a few people (2 mostly atm) and a timeline of less than a year, to prove that we can make sims fun again doesn't require intense levels of detail. Details you're never going to look at, or are important to entertaining people and making them feel like a super-cool pilot for an hour in the evening.

• 5 months later...

You bite your tongue. Just kidding, the more the merrier I say.

" . . . Details you're never going to look at, or are important to entertaining people and making them feel like a super-cool pilot for an hour in the evening."

So, I'm not a super-cool pilot? Darn you ED, darn you.

Edited by hassata

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]