Confused about DCS setup

JCook

I'm really confused about my DCS setup and not sure how to proceed - hopefully someone can assist.

About a month ago I clicked on the DCS World Download button and apparently the 2.5 version of DCS was installed. I also recently purchased the F18C - which I guess needs the beta version - which I don't have installed as far as I know. I don't have much interest in running Beta versions and even less interest in installing yet another version of DCS World. According to my file system installing the Beta would make four DCS file systems on my PC.

Right now I have two DCS icons on my desktop, but three different DCS folders.

The Icon labeled DCS World 1.5 points to the folder:

"D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 1.5\bin\DCS_updater.exe"

Clicking on this icon starts version 1.5 and the Main screen shows Version 1.5.8.12823 in the lower right corner. The Module Manager Shows 6 Modules I have available for installation:

DCS-A10C Warthog

DCS Flaming Cliffs 3

A10C Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification Campaign

A10C Operation Piercing Fury

A10C Basic Flight Training

A10C The Enemy Within

According to the DCS 1.5.8 and 2.2.0 to 2.5 transition discussion:

My 1.5.8.12823 install was an optional thing for me and something I didn't really need since all my campaigns and purchased modules are supposed to work in the new 2.5 release. I seem to recall it may have asked if I wanted to keep v1.5.8 around when it was doing the new install, I assumed I needed it because previously some modules weren't working in the 2.0 beta.

So If I am correct I didn't need to keep 1.5.8 and I don't need it now.

Is that correct? Any reason to keep it around?

The Other Icon on my desktop is labelled DCS World points to the folder:

"D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\DCS_updater.exe"

Clicking the Icon, it had me upload the latest installer and then a dialog popped up:

Do you want to update to 2.5.2.18736.400?

Currently Installed version is 1.5.8.12823.414

Update Now or Later

I chose Later since I'm not sure of what is going on at the moment. The DCS Main screen the opens. The version showing in the lower right corner is 2.5.0.15365

Checking the Module Manager, my A10C and Flaming Cliffs 3 modules are installed here. My A10C Campaigns showing under the Campaigns tab include:

A10C Basic Flight Training

A10C Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification Campaign

A10C Operation Piercing Fury

A10C The Enemy Within

A10C 16- RedFlag

My Nevada 2.5.0 and Caucasus Terrains are also showing under the Terrains tab. It also asks if I want to install A10C 16-2 Red Flag Campaign.

This is confusing - not sure about this so I am going to cancel it for now until I find out what is going on. The Red Flag Campaign did not show up in the 1.5.8 version - so I am guessing it only works in the 2.x version? Is that correct?

Since the other six campaigns / modules are listed in both I assume they can be installed in either version. But installing in two different versions would eat up two install keys. Is that correct?

When I go into the A10C Campaign list from the main menu I see the above listed campaigns I purchased plus the DCS default campaigns - however they are all Inactive.

I really only need one version of DCS World and I may have inadvertently kept and older version by misunderstanding the process. I'm looking for some suggestions on how I should proceed.

I'd also really like to get that Hornet that I paid for - don't see it anywhere, but I am guessing that is because I don't have the 2.whatever beta version.

questions.jpg.5a706e527884141d36c7cb415d8348e2.jpg

No need to keep 1,5 or 2.0 alpha versions if 2.5 works.

Nevada could only be used in your 2,0alpha before and will now work in 2,5 along with any module , terrain, or campaign.

Installing in 2 versions does not eat up 2 activations. modules ae registered to your computer not to an install.

My opinion,

I think it would be best to uninstalled and clear the folder. Down load the latest version, found here

https://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

or

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/stable/

Once DCS is installed, you can go into the game and installed all the terrains, aircraft, etc. through the game. Make sure you log in since DCS need you log in to verify your modules.

Right now beta and stable version are the same 2.5.2.18736.400

For future updates, this might help

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I think reinstalling everything is my last resort - it may come to that. I think the next step is letting it do this update:

Do you want to update to 2.5.2.18736.400?

Currently Installed version is 1.5.8.12823.414

Update Now or Later

I am assuming with this update the hornet would appear in my modules manager. Is that a correct assumption?

Any ideas if it is going to ask me anything else during the install, like "do I want to keep version 1.5.8"

The install instructions in the F18 manual indicate installing from an Administrator account. Since I keep admin and user privileges separate - I usually do everything from my user (non-admin) account and start any installs from there and wait to be prompted for admin access if the installer needs it. Has anyone run into any problems doing it that way?

Thanks

So If I am correct I didn't need to keep 1.5.8 and I don't need it now.

Is that correct? Any reason to keep it around?

You are correct and most likely dont need it.

The Red Flag Campaign did not show up in the 1.5.8 version - so I am guessing it only works in the 2.x version? Is that correct?

Thats correct, all Nevada Campaigns require a DCS 2.0 or higher.

Since the other six campaigns / modules are listed in both I assume they can be installed in either version. But installing in two different versions would eat up two install keys. Is that correct?

No, that's not correct ... the keys are recorded on Windows' registry and you only need one key for the whole PC, it doesnt matter how many DCS installs you have on that Windows.

If you ever re-install Windows then you would need to deactivate your DCS DLCs prior to performing the reinstall of Windows, and activate them again after you have changed your Windows.

I really only need one version of DCS World and I may have inadvertently kept and older version by misunderstanding the process. I'm looking for some suggestions on how I should proceed.

If you dont need the space, then you can keep 1.5 ... if nothing else it runs better under VR and if you are planning on going VR at some point it could be useful.

If you need the space, then you can just delete it's folder.

I'd also really like to get that Hornet that I paid for - don't see it anywhere, but I am guessing that is because I don't have the 2.whatever beta version.

Most likely the Hornet will be made available on the 2.5 stable really soon, so I wouldnt worry about it ... however if you cant wait to try the F-18 then you can convert your 2.5 stable into 2.5 openbeta, look for Skatezilla's utility if you want to go that route.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hornet is on the stable version which is version 2.5.2.18736.400

I am assuming with this update the hornet would appear in my modules manager. Is that a correct assumption?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/hornet/

Requires DCS World version 2.5.2 or above!

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• 2 weeks later...

Repair? Reinstall?

Recently - I tied to do an update, the updater performed a 2+ hour 24GB download; then DCS displayed the message that it was removing unneeded files. I think this is because I had chosen not to keep the 1.5.x version. That removal process never made any progress and after two hours I killed the two DCS Installer processes that were running and some errors popped up - I've attached the error files to describe what I have seen. The system was pretty sluggish when I killed the process. Seems it was just spinning there for two hours doing nothing.

The next day I restarted DCS World and it asked me if I wanted to update to the new version, which is the same thing it asked me the previous day - so this update strategy really isn't moving forward.

I've asked support to advise me on how to fix this, but after a week of waiting I still haven't heard anything.

My gut feeling is that its going to come down to a complete reinstall, but I wanted to try the cleanup and repair options first.

Question: Given my strange DCS file structure which I described in my first post, are the cleanup and repair options likely to resolve the issue? I don't want to mess things up more than they already are...

wtf-1.JPG.7ad1f5926fc555a8438fbd15c0a114b5.JPG

wtf-2.jpg.d358ca4fab251da7a1149f62fb5e6321.jpg

autoupdate_templog.txt

cp-DCS.JPG.a081385b0ccea1b41f2aec5fc2a49604.JPG

I think I would first check the folder structure in the DCS World and DCS World 1.5 folders. If they are similar, I’d do the repair and update out of the DCS World “bin” folder. After that, I’d try to do the update out of the same “bin” folder.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

If you only want one version installed then, IMHO, I would nuke the entire folder and install the version that you want to play. You will, otherwise, always have a mess on your hands.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: