Offline Mode (2.5.1 and beyond)

• ED Team
Since you brought it up, Steam doesn't work the way ED has implemented it. If I go out of town and start up my laptop and start Steam without connecting to the internet, it asks me if I wan't to go offline and when I click yes then all of my games work. In the case of DCS, I would have to set it to offline before I unhooked the laptop at home.

I didn't say it did work the same way, I just added it as another example of how verification or drm works.

ED have the offline mode, and they have the login verification, it works the way they want it to.

ED have provided an offline mode for users who will be without an internet connection. For everyone else who does have a connection there is no problem.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

If you live in an area where you have a very inconsistent connection, by all means that is something you should consider.

I'm just wise. Some months ago, a truck as knocked down the phone pole at the entry of my street and I hadn't internet neither phone in my house during some days. But happily tha's happened just before you implement the 3 days of DRM. And now, my box disconnects twice a days to reboot iwith a lower bandpass, and my provider says " we will do works ASAP".

You, ED, are well placed to know what ASAP means. I'm afraid that my phone line goes worst each day. They're saying that we'll have optic fiber next year, but you know how the providers are... That's why, I prefer to switch on Offline mode but once never knows when a connection crash arrives and how long it will continue.

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

This is all nice and comfortable as long as you have a steady ISP, live in the northern hemisphere, preferably 1st world country, have a top notch computer that won't break in years, never change Bios's...( so not a new machine, they get Bios' every few weeks..meh )

I am unsure if this really fits the global aspect of DCS and ED.

The fact & statement that it is as it is, means nothing in terms of customer satisfaction, it's rather counterproductive.

Steam takes care that you can use what you pay for, anytime.

..and anytime I visit one of my pals, he has a new pirated Steam game from some .ru site on his PC. That is the price Steam pays for user convenience, almost every game is cracked.

This aint easy to solve. As long as ED Support has an open ear for unlucky guys, all is fine for me in Germany, superb ISP, new PC and an almost ripe Bios.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

What exactly is meant by chaning BIOS? Updating BIOS to newer version or just changing some values (voltages, frequencies...)?

It is connecting another hard drive considered as changing hardware?

Seems a good compromise between protection and letting legitimate users have access.

Nothing will be perfect but the truth of the world is that some people will seek something for nothing and as a legitimate user who has spent many $ on modules and maps I am all for protecting future development whilst enabling me to use DCS without internet.

The DEMONS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Go to Heaven for the climate,Hell for the company

Check us out on page 23 in the squadron directory, on the multiplayer forum and send me a private message.

he means flashing a new updates version of his PC BIOS

which means DCS will see that as a new computer ?

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

he means flashing a new updates version of his PC BIOS

which means DCS will see that as a new computer ?

This could be an important issue. Although most will not be likely to run into the situation, if change of BIOS includes just tweaking settings then it is a problem. If it means updating the BIOS, which would generally require a network connection, then it is no big deal.

I am far more concerned with the idea that if your internet fails, unexpectedly, you have no way to convert to offline mode and your game is unplayable.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hi

I don't understand something:

for exemple, I go in holidays and come back home after a week, and bad surprise: My internet connection is down.

That means that I can't validate offline mod ?

I guess you’d better make sure your bills are paid before you go on holidays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't many here also have good 4G cellular network? I would use this if my network went down, never has tho. I Tether an Internet Connection with my Android while away with a laptop. Makes for a good backup internet connection.;)

-

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

• ED Team
This could be an important issue. Although most will not be likely to run into the situation, if change of BIOS includes just tweaking settings then it is a problem. If it means updating the BIOS, which would generally require a network connection, then it is no big deal.

I am far more concerned with the idea that if your internet fails, unexpectedly, you have no way to convert to offline mode and your game is unplayable.

How often does your Internet fail you? And if it does fail often, then I guess you would spend more time in offline mode. And if you are in offline mode and you want to adjust your BIOS or do some major changes, exit offline mode, and if your internet is currently down then wait till your internet comes up, exit offline mode, adjust your computer, go back into offline mode.

I am sure we can think of lots of WHAT IF scenarios, but that really doesnt help make the system better, because those WHAT IFs might never happen, if they do, and you need to contact support, they are there to help you.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

How often does your Internet fail you? And if it does fail often, then I guess you would spend more time in offline mode. And if you are in offline mode and you want to adjust your BIOS or do some major changes, exit offline mode, and if your internet is currently down then wait till your internet comes up, exit offline mode, adjust your computer, go back into offline mode.

I am sure we can think of lots of WHAT IF scenarios, but that really doesnt help make the system better, because those WHAT IFs might never happen, if they do, and you need to contact support, they are there to help you.

You miss my point. Please reread my post. Beyond what I have already said, I am withdrawing from this thread since my concerns are not personal but general.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• ED Team
You miss my point. Please reread my post. Beyond what I have already said, I am withdrawing from this thread since my concerns are not personal but general.

ED's approach is the best one for them and us, the users.

It works and allows offline play, while still giving ED the protection it wants. I understand some want to pick holes and find faults with it but some of the "what if" scenarios are stretching it a bit.

If anyone ever has any problems we have a dedicated support team who will be happy to assist.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi,

I want to break down the "no internet situation" into two simplified cases:

Warning: the chance percentage is really made up by myself. Everybody may disagree or think about different percentages for himself.

1. internet down because of unforseeable situation (80% of all cases)

2. internet down because of "other reasons" (20% of all cases)

Again, I just made up those numbers, and I for myself think they might more or less reflect reality. The Offline Mode can just help in case 2, but this only tackles those immaginary 20% while still leaving the problem for the other 80% unsolved. Not sure if this point of view is too simple, but without more insight this seems reasonable to me.

I personally dont understand why this 3 days period isnt extended to like 10, 15 or even 30 days. This would solve most of the issues people raise here. Of course if someone hasnt played for 30 days and wants to play on day 31 while internet is down will still leave him in this situation. As I said in my other post before, you cannot cover all situations, but it is much more likely that everyone plays more or less at least once a month instead of every 3 days. If the revalidatino persiod is expanded by "many" days, players probably would almost never run into this problem again.

ED will probably not explain their reasons as such things are usually not discussed with the public and thats fine. I dont expect them to justify their reasons. I just want to add my opinion and want to express that, without insight, I dont see much sense in this tight 3 days grace period. If someone cracks DCS, he could play it for 3 days until it revalidates again. Even if this person could play it for 10, 15 or even 30 days without revalidation I am not sure if this would mean such a financial loss to ED. Their product would still be protected with the longer validation period, but we as the paying customer would have less of a burden to handle it (while I must confess at least for me personally its not a big issue)

Think of Witcher 3 which was released on GOG without any DRM and sold like hotcakes.

Edited by Ayindi

I dont think some users are understanding what Changes a System's Hash (Fingerprint.)

So Here's some Examples. Things Like the Items Below will change your System's Hash:

-Changing Hardware Addons (removing/adding GPUs, SPUs, etc)

-Changing Hardware Addresses (Moving GPU from SLOT 0 to SLOT 3)

-Changing Memory Addresses (Adding More Memory, Removing Memory, or Switching Memory Sticks)

-Changing CPUID (Changing the CPU for another of a Different Model or ID)

-Changing BIOS Settings (RAM Timings, CPU Clocks, CPU Features, Supporting Chipset Items etc)

-Flashing BIOS (Upgrading or Downgrading or Restoring Defaults)

-Changing Mainboard (Even if it's the same Model Number, the BIOS Version or Settings May be different).

-Changing -> Moving Windows Install from A HDD to Another HDD (HDD Device Serial ID Change)

-Changing Windows Product ID / License Type or Major Version (Upgrade from Home to Premium, SP1 to SP2 etc)

-Changing the Computer Name (This is usually set during windows install by OEM Installer, Can be changed through RedEdit, or System Properties)

There's like more things that can cause a System Hash to Change, but these are the Major Items that can cause most DRM to de-activate and even windows itself.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

This is a good option, and I've been waiting for a long time. But would it be possible to avoid the windows returns when we go from offline to online and vice versa. Could not we go back to the old menu that offered us move from one to the other without leaving the game? Of course while keeping the new option.

Changing Bios settings is a bit far off imho.

I mean, look at how many guys buy new rigs and have to chew through many Bios' until they are stable, not even talking about changing settings in one of those many versions you will run in a matter of a few months.

As I said earlier, just saying "This is how it is" does not change our POV and neither does it satisfy those who will be struck by the limitations.

I could agree with many things, but changing Bios settings is a joke imho, a bad joke.

You have the moral responsibility towards your customers to come up with something smart.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Openly spoken,

I feel like this:

ED ultimately protects their investment, in question, the decision is made in favour for ED and the customer has the bad card.

Now, lets turn this around. When your Software is bugged and wont work, waiting for patches, etc etc. what is with our money. YOu can still use it 100%, it's in your account. We have no means to decide if you can use it even if the software is partly malfunctioning.

This is very biased.

I try to be fair in my thoughts but I cant come around this feeling that we are positioned on the shorter end of the pole and can only swallow or leave it be.

I wouldnt need to care about as my ISP is stable and I likely wont be hindered by this in years to come, but the smell it produces gets in my nose too and I think it is partly unfair. The non-possible late-offline activation is the hurdle I wont take in my head. That imho is hindering the user because you couldnt find the technical solution that pleases both parties. So skip costs and let the user outside ?

Changing BIOS Settings Changes the System Hash, its' that simple.

You can Trigger Windows Activation by changing BIOS Settings as well.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Changing BIOS Settings Changes the System Hash, its' that simple.

You can Trigger Windows Activation by changing BIOS Settings as well.

Really? I have played with many BIOS settings and never had a Windows activation issue.

I do know why that offline mode is how it is. Steam Offline mode is their Achilles tendon and where they are usually cracked. Everybody in the scene knows this, that is no secret. The team

responsible for this is also well known.

Do we still have 10 activations btw ?? or has this been tossed/replaced with this new system ?

Really? I have played with many BIOS settings and never had a Windows activation issue.

oh heck, yes. What have I played with Bios' and still do. I could say, my 2nd wife is called AMI :lol:

they never deactivated by changing values alone. Never happend iirc.

I do know why that offline mode is how it is. Steam Offline mode is their Achilles tendon and where they are usually cracked. Everybody in the scene knows this, that is no secret.

True, but it is a situation where they compare the most good for the consumer vs. an acceptable level of loss for the company.

• ED Team
Changing Bios settings is a bit far off imho.

I mean, look at how many guys buy new rigs and have to chew through many Bios' until they are stable, not even talking about changing settings in one of those many versions you will run in a matter of a few months.

As I said earlier, just saying "This is how it is" does not change our POV and neither does it satisfy those who will be struck by the limitations.

I could agree with many things, but changing Bios settings is a joke imho, a bad joke.

You have the moral responsibility towards your customers to come up with something smart.

So make sure you arent in Offline Mode when you start tweaking your system. Problem solved. If you forget, then send a message to ED support to get it resolved.

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

So make sure you arent in Offline Mode when you start tweaking your system. Problem solved. If you forget, then send a message to ED support to get it resolved.

That is a fine plan unless your router dies. Even with Amazon Prime it could take three days to procure a new one.

How does this impact Steam clients?

• ED Team
That is a fine plan unless your router dies. Even with Amazon Prime it could take three days to procure a new one.

How does this impact Steam clients?

ED isn't Steam first off.

How often does your Router die secondly?

I thought you bowed out of this thread thirdly?

There is always going to be something that makes ANY solution not perfect. ED can only do the best they can, while maintaining protection of their products, and I shouldn't have to explain how that helps all of us at the end of the day.

PS I just checked Amazon, I can get two quality 'gaming' routers tomorrow if I needed them.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png

1. ED sells through Steam so that is all that matters. Steam customers don't care who or what ED is.

2. My router only dies once, then it gets replaced.

3. I bowed back in, which is my privilege.

I understand ED's need to protect their IP. However, there is a line between serving the company and serving the customer. I think ED is operating on the wrong side of that line.