New GME software - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
sedenion

Default OvGME - New Generic Mod Enabler

OvGME is a Mod manager based on the idea and concept of JSGME, it take the GME acronym from JSGME which stands for Generic Mod Enabler. The main purpose of OvGME is to provide an easy way to import and enable mods for games then restore original files when disabling mods. OvGME works by comparing the destination folder file tree with the given mod file tree, then identifies what files to replace, create and save as backup.

OvGME implements the following key features:
  • Support for multiple destination folder (game, software, etc.) through the main GUI.
  • Custom mods and backup folder for each configuration.
  • Destination folder file tree snapshot and comparison based on xxHash.
  • Zipped Mods files (Mod-Archives).
  • Mods description (readme.txt).
  • Mods versioning.
  • Mods enabling profile for each destination folder.
  • Mods network repositories.
  • Mods online updating and downloading.
  • Zip Mod-Archive creation tool.
  • XML repository creation tool.
  • Detailed embeded Help.

Official Homepage :
http://www.ovoid.org/ovgme

Direct Dowload Links:
v1.7.4 Setup for 64 bits version: https://github.com/sedenion/ovgme/re...4_setup_64.exe
v1.7.4 Setup for 32 bits version: https://github.com/sedenion/ovgme/re...4_setup_32.exe

v1.7.4 Zip Setup for 64 bits version: https://github.com/sedenion/ovgme/re...4_setup_64.zip
v1.7.4 Zip Setup for 32 bits version: https://github.com/sedenion/ovgme/re...4_setup_32.zip

If you already use JSGME:
Please read carefully the "OvGME and JSGME" chapter in the embedded help before doing anything.

If you like it, share it.

Last edited by sedenion; 11-13-2017 at 12:32 PM.
sedenion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
BitMaster
Veteran

What a great idea

Big THANK YOU !!!
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3200/3600MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #3
zaelu
Veteran

Awesome! Thank you for doing this!!!

Next feature would be (online or offline) sources for mods updates and in app notification of update available!

P.S. How is it doing the backups?

Last edited by zaelu; 08-07-2016 at 10:27 AM.
zaelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
BitMaster
Veteran

It doesnt seem to accept .zip files. It works if I unpack them.

Any idea why it wont see zipped files ?
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3200/3600MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
sedenion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitMaster View Post
It doesnt seem to accept .zip files. It works if I unpack them.

Any idea why it wont see zipped files ?
I think it's because your zip is not recognized as valid mod. Zip archive structure must follow some rules to be identified as a valid mod, this to keep a working standard:

( i copy past the help )

Mod archive (Zip)
So to say, the mod archive is only a zipped version of a directory mod. However, to be recognized as a valid mod archive by OvGME, it must follow some simple rules

- The archive must be compressed in ZIP format
OvGME does not support rar, 7z, gz or any other compression format.

- The archive must contain the properly named mod directory at its root.
The zipped archive root must contain the mod root directory (and not directly the mod files). Also this mod directory must have the same name as the archive itself but without the .zip extension. For example, if you have a mod archive named "My Super Mod.zip", it must contain the folder named "My Super Mod" where mod files are stored, like in the uncompressed version.

- The archive can contain a description text

OvGME automatically checks if a .txt file is in the archive root. If this .txt file has the same exact name as the mod directory, OvGME will take it as the mod description. For example, if you have a mod archive with mod directory named "My Super Mod", the description file must be named "My Super Mod.txt".

For example, if the game file tree is the following:

MyGame
....Textures
........Landscape
............picture1.dds
............picture2.dds
........Vehicles
............picture1.dds
............picture2.dds

And if your mod consist of changing some .dds texture files in "MyGame\Textures\Vehicles" your mod archive should be structured as follow:

MyTextureModV1.0.zip
{
....MyTextureModV1.0.txt
....MyTextureModV1.0
............Textures
................Vehicles
....................picture1.dds
....................picture2.dds
}

Last edited by sedenion; 08-07-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
sedenion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaelu View Post
Awesome! Thank you for doing this!!!

Next feature would be (online or offline) sources for mods updates and in app notification of update available!
Argh... network code is totaly other... paire de manches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaelu View Post
P.S. How is it doing the backups?
The backup simply copy original files in the application home directory, in a game dedicated sub-folder. The backup data is unique by game (one game, one backup data tree) so to say: all mods shares the same backed files for the same game (this prevent some backup corruption when mods have files that overlaps). if you want more details ask me.

The backed game files are stored in a "root" named sub-folder in the game sub-folders within the OvGME application home directory indicated by your system. Usually "<User>\AppData\Roaming\OvGME\<game sub-folder>\backups\root"

My first apporach was to zip all backup data to reduce weight, but
1 - zip compression / decompression take time a lot of time (zip don't like 20Mbs DDS textures files... ).
2 - backup archive can become quickly very large (with textures).
3 - there is no efficient way to remove a file from a zip archive except by re-creating the entire archive (read the full archive, modify, then WRITE the full archive again).

1 + 2 + 3 = the backup process becomes quickly horribly slow... So i decided to keep a simple file to file copy, this take more space, but it is incomparably faster.

Last edited by sedenion; 08-07-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #7
Strut

Great mod thanks, i will give it a whirl !

Struts Skins in User Files

Strut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
f4l0

Which name should the mod description file have?

Feel the brrrrttt:
[Official] SimShaker for Aviators Forums thread at ED forums
SimShaker blog - transfer game effects into the real world
SimShaker Soundmodule with Voicemeeter Banana Setup: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2469416

DCS Toggle Switches

System specs: Intel i7-8700k, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia 1070 GTX, lots of SSDs
Flightgear: Oculus Rift, Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Bass shaker
f4l0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #9
zaelu
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedenion View Post
Maybe you find someone that knows and can help you. It would totally change the way we "mod" dcs now.

Do you know nexus mod manager? Something like it would be really powerful.

Quote:
The backup simply copy original files in the application home directory, in a game dedicated sub-folder. The backup data is unique by game (one game, one backup data tree) so to say: all mods shares the same backed files for the same game (this prevent some backup corruption when mods have files that overlaps). if you want more details ask me.

The backed game files are stored in a "root" named sub-folder in the game sub-folders within the OvGME application home directory indicated by your system. Usually "<User>\AppData\Roaming\OvGME\<game sub-folder>\backups\root"

I found them. Looks Good! The only small downsize of this approach is is people have little space in C:\ and they manage multiple games/versions with big mods.. it might clutter the C drive. Maybe an option later to change the Backup Path?

Quote:
My first apporach was to zip all backup data to reduce weight, but
1 - zip compression / decompression take time a lot of time (zip don't like 20Mbs DDS textures files... ).
2 - backup archive can become quickly very large (with textures).
3 - there is no efficient way to remove a file from a zip archive except by re-creating the entire archive (read the full archive, modify, then WRITE the full archive again).

1 + 2 + 3 = the backup process becomes quickly horribly slow... So i decided to keep a simple file to file copy, this take more space, but it is incomparably faster.
I agree and I think your choice is valid. It activates mods very fast (I have 51 active... )
Old 08-07-2016, 12:06 PM   #10
f4l0

Quote:
Maybe a simple rsync might work?

Feel the brrrrttt:
[Official] SimShaker for Aviators Forums thread at ED forums
SimShaker blog - transfer game effects into the real world
SimShaker Soundmodule with Voicemeeter Banana Setup: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2469416

DCS Toggle Switches

System specs: Intel i7-8700k, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia 1070 GTX, lots of SSDs
Flightgear: Oculus Rift, Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Bass shaker
f4l0 is offline   Reply With Quote