New damage model

bart

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just flew DCS for the first time in a while, after finally updating to 2.5 finally. Good news is it runs fairly well, I'm on medium settings with good FPS with only a few stutters. Still hoping to get those figured out.

However I did one dogfight mission, P-51 against 109s, and boy did I realise why I stopped playing. There's just no fun in fighting against the AI at the moment with this kind of damage model. One 109 was peppered with shots, streaming from both radiators and then black smoke from the fuselage. He flew back to base.

The other 109 I hit with probably 20-30 rounds, holes in the fuselage, wing, huge hole in the tail section, but he kept flying (at super high performance as the AI likes to do) and I had to escape to base.

The new DM would really bring me back to this sim as it is very fun otherwise. Right now only ground striking would be fun...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS:WWII 1944 BACKER --- Fw. 190D-9 --- Bf. 109K-4 --- P-51D --- Spitfire!

Specs: Intel i7-3770 @3.9 Ghz - NVidia GTX 960 - 8GB RAM - OCz Vertex 240GB SSD - Toshiba 1TB HDD - Corsair CX 600M Power Supply - MSI B75MA-P45 MoBo - Defender Cobra M5

As far as i know the new DM is only for human players first. Not for AI

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I believe some resources were shifted towards the Yak. The Yak is coming to a close, so I will start asking about the WWII DM again very soon.

Holyyy shit..................................................

[sIGPIC]http://www.settimostormo.it/images/Firme/racetrack.png[/sIGPIC]

"Volare è utile, atterrare è necessario"

"Se non guardi a ore 6 almeno ogni 5 secondi non parlarmi di combattimento aereo, piuttosto fai il comico"

Since the last couple of updates AI planes don't keep flying and kicking your @ss while belching black and white smoke. They fly on more conservatively, then eventually their engine dies and they bail out. Have you noticed? Maybe it's the first step towards the updated DM?

I wondered about this too! . . it seemed different, but I wondered if it was just Placebo effect.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Definitely not placebo. Before, when fighting against MIG-15s, even when they were smoking they would climb like redstone rockets...now I got one smoking, he started flying funny, then 20-30 seconds later he lost control and ejected. I experienced the same when I clobbered a 109 yesterday. His prop eventually stopped, and the pilot bailed out.

Definitely not placebo. Before, when fighting against MIG-15s, even when they were smoking they would climb like redstone rockets...now I got one smoking, he started flying funny, then 20-30 seconds later he lost control and ejected. I experienced the same when I clobbered a 109 yesterday. His prop eventually stopped, and the pilot bailed out.

So... it's only you and me who have noticed so far?

If this is true, then it's a big change IMO. I'm going to do some more testing I think.

If this is true, then it's a big change IMO. I'm going to do some more testing I think.

It always seems so many changes aren't stated in changelogs that it's quite possible.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Not just you and Reflected, Phil. I noticed this whilst in the course of flying the Epsom Campaign, has been this way for some months now. Might be a 2.x version thing though, not sure that legacy 1.5.8 users benefitted from it.

It's definitely a refreshing and much more immersive behaviour change, even if they can still pull off some less credible manuoevres.

• ED Team

AI should respond to damage better, yes. Its an on going thing, I wish more things like this were listed in the change logs, but the changes are so fluid sometimes they just flow in and are there.

Nick made a guest appearance in a meeting I was in the other day, and we talked about WWII and DM is certainly heavy on the teams radar, and they know its a big deal. I know all this talk is just talk, but we will get there, but glad some of you are seeing the changes starting to trickle down, expect more fanfare when player DM gets the love it needs.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

AI should respond to damage better, yes. Its an on going thing, I wish more things like this were listed in the change logs, but the changes are so fluid sometimes they just flow in and are there.

Nick made a guest appearance in a meeting I was in the other day, and we talked about WWII and DM is certainly heavy on the teams radar, and they know its a big deal. I know all this talk is just talk, but we will get there, but glad some of you are seeing the changes starting to trickle down, expect more fanfare when player DM gets the love it needs.

Fantastic news for me 9Line.

I quite like the drip-feed of regular small tweaks and changes to be honest, even if not all of them make it to the patch notes. It just re-assures us that things are moving forward, and that WW2 in particular has not been forgotten.

It just re-assures us that things are moving forward, and that WW2 in particular has not been forgotten.

if you're addicted to the comforting feeling of reassurance

that is a personal problem

dont make it ed's problem

Did a few not-so-scientific tests.. results look good.

Nothing has changed for the human player DM. There is no difference in the DM itself, just additional AI plane behaviour. They just changed the ability to damage the engine and make the pilot bail out after recieving damage for the AI.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

• 1 month later...

Has nothing more been known about the new damage model, is it being developed, being tested, at what point is it located?

Maybe give some information would not be bad just to get an idea of how the work proceeds also because, objectively, a lot of time has passed since it was announced ..

:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...