Experienced BF-109 pilots - help needed - right roll level flight - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #31
Kappi

I followed Yo-Yo's advice about the correct ATA setting and it works like a charm for me. Correct cruise, elevator trim set accordingly and no hands needed.I really like the WW2 birds

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!
Kappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #32
muehlema

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCuvier View Post
In the "Special" tab, the Bf-109 has the ground trim for ailerons and rudder. I have set these to -22 and -20 respectively, and I can fly hands off for long times when I'm cruising. It flies like a charm! Seems to me that some people have not set these options.
Do you have to ask Ground Crew for the trim or where do you find the trim option?
muehlema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #33
BIGNEWY
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muehlema View Post
Do you have to ask Ground Crew for the trim or where do you find the trim option?
the special options / settings are in the menu in DCS, not in a mission.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #34
Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muehlema View Post
It's in the settings in DCS. In the special tab you can set parameters per aircraft.

Spoiler:
W10-x64 | Asus P8Z77-V | Core i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Noctua NH-D14
Corsair 32Gb 1600 @ 2133 10-12-12-20 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X OC
SB Audigy 2 Platinum | TM Hotas Warthog
MFG Crosswind pedals | TrackIR 5
Oculus Rift CV 1
Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #35
muehlema

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNEWY View Post
the special options / settings are in the menu in DCS, not in a mission.
Ah, thanks. I was assuming I can trim this in game. I disabled the T/O assist there
muehlema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #36
Burning Bridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCuvier View Post
But I cannot understand the hype about the "lack of roll trim problem".
In the "Special" tab, the Bf-109 has the ground trim for ailerons and rudder. I have set these to -22 and -20 respectively, and I can fly hands off for long times when I'm cruising. It flies like a charm! Seems to me that some people have not set these options.
Thanks for your settings. It's incredible how many pages have been written on this topic and how little in terms of usable settings. I have tried and tried and used -16 aileron and 0 rudder.

Now as to what you call "negativity". I never expressed a problem with the takeoffs and landings, that much has been reported by real pilots. But I don't believe either the Spitfire was so instable as it is out of the box, and I also don't believe the German put their pilots with planes that had no modicum of horizontal stability. I listened to real pilots accounts and get the impression and it seems to me they were very inexperienced (20 year old men much less flying time than 40 year old virtual pilots) and found the planes easy to fly, with the exception of start and landing where the forces were not in balance.
This may be nitpicking from the point of view of very experienced pilots, but my impression is that a lot of people develop pains in their arms and legs and give up on the planes - which would be a shame.
I agree though that a lot of it comes with the control settings, one needs to find optimal joystick curves etc but it's so damn hard to develop those settings all on your own. The planes may eventually be perfect recreations but as it is it seems harder to fly than in real life because you have no experienced ground crew to give you a plane in a flyable condition.
Burning Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #37
MAD-MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bridges View Post
Thanks for your settings. It's incredible how many pages have been written on this topic and how little in terms of usable settings. I have tried and tried and used -16 aileron and 0 rudder.

Now as to what you call "negativity". I never expressed a problem with the takeoffs and landings, that much has been reported by real pilots. But I don't believe either the Spitfire was so instable as it is out of the box, and I also don't believe the German put their pilots with planes that had no modicum of horizontal stability. I listened to real pilots accounts and get the impression and it seems to me they were very inexperienced (20 year old men much less flying time than 40 year old virtual pilots) and found the planes easy to fly, with the exception of start and landing where the forces were not in balance.
This may be nitpicking from the point of view of very experienced pilots, but my impression is that a lot of people develop pains in their arms and legs and give up on the planes - which would be a shame.
I agree though that a lot of it comes with the control settings, one needs to find optimal joystick curves etc but it's so damn hard to develop those settings all on your own. The planes may eventually be perfect recreations but as it is it seems harder to fly than in real life because you have no experienced ground crew to give you a plane in a flyable condition.

New Jets are so unstable that even Pilot can not Fly this thing with PC in the Back Round, and why the do this to enhance manoeuvrability to neutral stable Plane.
From WW2 perspective without Computer Chips in the Planes they have stable Layout, but always with Focus to reduce as much as Possible Drag and enhance Flying Characteristic, was not a help to make a easy handle Plane for the Pilot.
And there is more then once mentioned in the German Literature the Pilots make the Tail heavy Trim to over come the Stick Forces and be more agile when they get Jump from above, the Spitfire is there wonderful with little bit Training, but even the RAF claimed the Spit have a little bit to low Stickforces and hard to handle.
This doesn't make comfortable Ride for Level Flight.
German Pilots makes fun about it they have different strong Legs to counter Engine Torque because of constant ruder input....

9./JG27
MAD-MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:09 AM   #38
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:

And where is the ball now for these settings? Seems to me that the plane flies crabbing now...
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #39
Burning Bridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
And where is the ball now for these settings? Seems to me that the plane flies crabbing now...
Do you have a better idea? I currently fly with -12 aileron 0 rudder.
Burning Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #40
LeCuvier

Quote:
Pain in arms and legs? I think you are joking with a straight face...
I'm 72 and I fly mostly the 2 "Hun" planes, for hours sometimes; and it doesn't make my arms or legs hurt at all. Just fun!
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5
LeCuvier is offline   Reply With Quote