Studder non stop on new machine

This is the latest BIOS for your board, if you aren't confident in updating the BIOS, maybe the shop could do it for you. New mobo's are the latest technology so it normally takes a few BIOS revisions to get them working trouble free. I would still recommend joining the ROG forum as someone on there could have had the same, or similar problem. It could be that one of your 3 x M2 drives is causing it, it is just a crap shoot at the moment and if it is hardware related the ROG forum is another option for you.

ROG ZENITH II EXTREME ALPHA BIOS 1101

01. Improved system performance and stability.

02. Updated CastlePeakPI1.0.0.

Z790, 13700K, RTX4080, 32 gig RAM, Warthog,  WarBRD base , Virpil Pedals, Pico 4

• ED Team
Hi BIGNEWY,

It's amazing the time you spend helping so many people, so I wanted to say thank you for all your help all over the forum. I know a lot people would be lost without your help. Yes I've have been reading your threads all over the forum helping everyone. Absolutely amazing. So thank you.

Now back to business. I tried all that you mentioned above: different USB ports, removing all USB devices that are not necessary, updated all windows and video drivers, but the only thing I did not mess with was the motherboard and bios since the machine is brand new and I'm not that familiar with it. It was built by Digital Storm so I had there technician remote into the PC and check every thing he could. He also ran several utilities like AMD Ryzen Master to check CPU voltage and temps, FurMark, Heaven and Superposition (4k Benchmark 11876) Benchmarks to overload the CPU and GPU and they all ran smoothly. I tried running these utilities with Track IR running in the background and saw no problem. I see a lot of talk about refresh rate, but it does not matter what refresh rate I have set. What I see is a very rapid FPS drop and then backup and when that happens their is a stutter.

I'm guessing their is some recourse that Track IR and DCS are sharing, but when I hit the hot key to pause Track IR in DCS the stuttering seems to stop, so I am wondering if its worth uninstalling Track IR and reinstalling the software again. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Feetwet

Update:

I just tried reinstalling Track IR 5.4.2 drivers and it had no effect.

No problem, I wish I could get around to every post but it isn't always possible, I try my best, and thanks for the kind words.

More ideas

make sure TrackIR has admin permission and also DCS has admin permissions in properties.

In task manager when DCS is running try giving DCS a higher CPU priority, do you notice any difference?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

This is the latest BIOS for your board, if you aren't confident in updating the BIOS, maybe the shop could do it for you. New mobo's are the latest technology so it normally takes a few BIOS revisions to get them working trouble free. I would still recommend joining the ROG forum as someone on there could have had the same, or similar problem. It could be that one of your 3 x M2 drives is causing it, it is just a crap shoot at the moment and if it is hardware related the ROG forum is another option for you.

ROG ZENITH II EXTREME ALPHA BIOS 1101

01. Improved system performance and stability.

02. Updated CastlePeakPI1.0.0.

Hi Bearskin,

I joined the ASUS ROG and Natural Point the makers of Track IR forums. Buy the way, thank you for the suggestion. First things first. You were right their are a lot of people having this same issue and their is even a tread on the DCS forum going back to 2018 with a petition asking Natural Point to fix this problem. As good as this all sounds Natural Point says their aware of the issue, but they sound like they don't know what's causing it. They asked me to make video of it and suggested I use the video recording software built into Windows 10 (Windows Key followed by G). All new to me. When I tried doing this in DCS, it brings up a screen on top of DCS with several recording buttons and it darkens the screen. What's interesting when I do this is the stuttering goes away. WHY??? Please any one know why? Also, is DCS aware of this issue and is their any one at DCS that could help me with trying to fix this problem. I know that is a lot to ask for just one individual, but I have always dreamed of one day learning to fly DCS and I'm not ready to give up on that dream just yet. S anything ED or DCS can do would really be appreciated. The more I dig into this problem the more confusing it gets.

In the mean time I spoke with Digital Storm and ask them to help me make sure my Bios and motherboard software is up to date. Hopefully they will get back to me today and let me know if I need to update.

Please DCS I am asking for your help if their is anything you can do.

Regards,

Feetwet

Checkmate, you didn't confirmed this yet...

More ideas:

make sure TrackIR has admin permission and also DCS has admin permissions in properties.

In task manager when DCS is running try giving DCS a higher CPU priority, do you notice any difference?

Also: from AVSim forum: maybe worth a try.

TrackIR > High priority for stutterfree looking around:

Just as I needed to do with FSX DX10 (with the Fixer) I found out that the same trick does wonders in P3D 2.0 too. With TrackIR at the normal priority there is some sort of sluggish, stuttering behaviour when I look around, even when fps itself is good. But with TrackIR at High priority looking around is as smooth as can be!

So if you use TrackIR and experience slight stutters when looking around, this might be due to TrackIR needing more priority and not to P3D performing bad!

If you, like me, want to make this a permanent option, then go to the shortcut of TrackIR, rightcklik on it, choose Properties and change the target to this:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /high TrackIR5.exe

From now on TrackIR will automatically start at high priority whenever you doubleclick that shortcut.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• ED Team

Someone has recently suggested to me that removing all NVIDIA Drivers and software, including the NVIDIA control panel and geforce experience and allowing windows 10 to install the driver only had helped with performance and stutter.

might be worth a try

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Just as I needed to do with FSX DX10 (with the Fixer) I found out that the same trick does wonders in P3D 2.0 too. With TrackIR at the normal priority there is some sort of sluggish, stuttering behaviour when I look around, even when fps itself is good. But with TrackIR at High priority looking around is as smooth as can be!

So if you use TrackIR and experience slight stutters when looking around, this might be due to TrackIR needing more priority and not to P3D performing bad!

If you, like me, want to make this a permanent option, then go to the shortcut of TrackIR, rightcklik on it, choose Properties and change the target to this:

From now on TrackIR will automatically start at high priority whenever you doubleclick that shortcut.

this can also be done as a registry setting

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

If it’s a track ir issue that everyone has it’s not going to be fixed. If the game is unplayable bc of stutters then that is completely fixable.

It’s very hard to even help you bc no one here can figure out what stutters your having, game breaking or pause track ir and moving ur mouse to move the camera lag free?

I had asked if your just using full screen or window full screen and still never got a reply.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

Now this entire problem rang a bell from the beginning, seems i played a roll in it but completely forgot about it (oh that old brain):

https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=9701

Main problem was the SSD, my first one, a Kingston. Had quite a bit of general stutter problem with it. Even had a long mail exchange with Kingston about it. When using the SSD as main drive with Windows on it, it always gave stutter in some sort. Only solved it entirely by putting Windows back on HD and use the SSD for DCS.

Later on i bought a 2nd SSD (Samsung) and i had no problem with this one when used as OS drive.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Hi Lange

I did try this and I'm sorry I forgot to respond, because it sounded like a great idea. It did not have any effect, but let me explain how I did it in case I did it incorrectly. Also, Thank you for providing the idea.

I launch both programs and then used the Task Manager and found their names running under the details tab. Then I right clicked them each one at a time and set their Priority to High. Then went back into DCS to see if the stutter was gone, but in both cases the stuttering was still there.

I call them micro stutters because they happen very fast. The FPS does not have time to go down to zero, but it feels like it does. If you look really carefully you will see the AI stop moving for a millisecond and the scenery stops momentarily as well. A simple 360 roll feels more like a ten point roll.

The stutters are very fast and I'm trying to figure out how to capture them on video even though I know others have seen them. I have to believe that something like this is fixable. I can't figure out where to focus my efforts on getting this fixed. When I watch the Frame Rate is say it's dropping from 60 down to 30 and then back up, but if that were the case I would think this would still look like things are moving smoothly not micro stuttering every second. I'm not a programmer so I just guessing at the problem, but I do see other people posting videos and their screens look smooth as they fly. My guess is a machine like this one should be able to handle a smooth frame rate, but I could be wrong, I'm still learning as I go.

Regards,

Feetwet

If it’s a track ir issue that everyone has it’s not going to be fixed. If the game is unplayable bc of stutters then that is completely fixable.

It’s very hard to even help you bc no one here can figure out what stutters your having, game breaking or pause track ir and moving ur mouse to move the camera lag free?

I had asked if your just using full screen or window full screen and still never got a reply.

Will,

I tried full screen and then I lowered the resolution and notice the stutters were still happing at the same frequency. If I do not load Track IR or I use a hot key to Pause Track IR the stuttering goes away. I did not try using the mouse, but if I use the Num Keypad to move my head around I do not see any stuttering even though this is a hard way to fly since it's hard to get your head pointed this way when you need to locate a switch to push.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Feetwet

Checkmate, just as a side venture, could you go into control panel > Administrative tools > Event Viewer > then click custom views and a drop down should appear called administrative events, click administrative events and check the logs for any WHEA errors, just to make sure your CPU is getting enough volts.

Probably nothing to do with the problem you are having but its good to check.

When I upgraded to the board I am using now, I was getting bad micro stutters playing BF3, it maybe was a placebo effect as I tried quite a few different things and upping my CPU volts seemed to fix the stutters as I was getting WHEA errors, so not enough juice to run the CPU effectively.

Edited by Bearskin

Z790, 13700K, RTX4080, 32 gig RAM, Warthog,  WarBRD base , Virpil Pedals, Pico 4

Now this entire problem rang a bell from the beginning, seems i played a roll in it but completely forgot about it (oh that old brain):

https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=9701

Main problem was the SSD, my first one, a Kingston. Had quite a bit of general stutter problem with it. Even had a long mail exchange with Kingston about it. When using the SSD as main drive with Windows on it, it always gave stutter in some sort. Only solved it entirely by putting Windows back on HD and use the SSD for DCS.

Later on i bought a 2nd SSD (Samsung) and i had no problem with this one when used as OS drive.

Lange,

I thought that this might be a problem with one of my M.2 drives, so I reinstalled DCS on another M.2 drive and still got the same stutters. Not sure this ruled it out, because all the M.2 drives could be causing the problem, but since it only happens when Track IR is running I focused on Track IR.

I did see a post from back in 2018 with a petition for Natural Point to fix their driver and I did speak with them on the phone and they were aware of such a problem, but they would not acknowledge if their driver was the cause and I can only hope that they would contact DCS and look into it.

Thanks Again,

Feetwet

I tried full screen and then I lowered the resolution and notice the stutters were still happing at the same frequency. If I do not load Track IR or I use a hot key to Pause Track IR the stuttering goes away. I did not try using the mouse, but if I use the Num Keypad to move my head around I do not see any stuttering even though this is a hard way to fly since it's hard to get your head pointed this way when you need to locate a switch to push.

Hi Checkmate, I'm wondering: could't the stuttering you are experiencing be tied to the TrackIR alone? After all, you haven't tested it with another game, have you?

Can you tell us more about your TrackIR settings please?

What TrackIR are you using? TIR4 or TIR5?

TIR.png

What is the version of your installed TrackIR software? v4.x or v5.x ?

TIR-soft.png

Now, you want to ensure that your head tracking device works properly. I'm guessing your are using the v5.x software. Here is the latest manual.

Please go page 18, and find the beginning of "5.9 Visual Preview" chapter. I'd like you to test both the 3D View and the Camera View. Try to use your TrackIR and monitor what happens on each view.

Here is what you are supposed to see when it works fine (no head bobbing at all - note that I use v4.x software):

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

so the stuttering does seem to come from track ir. if the game is playing smooth w/out it or paused.

track ir does have a led camera view, it will show red dots if there is some type of interference, green dots showing good rx signal. have u tried testing this? there is also some freq adjustment u can try as well. hope this may help u out some.

but as u stated if u pause track ir all works fine and smooth, i get it and dislike track ir just for that reason -when i use VR i get no head movement lag at all, no idea why track ir and using a 2d monitor cause's this input lag. maybe one day it will be solved, fix or someone will sell a better product.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

Hi Checkmate, I'm wondering: could't the stuttering you are experiencing be tied to the TrackIR alone? After all, you haven't tested it with another game, have you?

Can you tell us more about your TrackIR settings please?

What TrackIR are you using? TIR4 or TIR5?

TIR.png

What is the version of your installed TrackIR software? v4.x or v5.x ?

TIR-soft.png

Now, you want to ensure that your head tracking device works properly. I'm guessing your are using the v5.x software. Here is the latest manual.

Please go page 18, and find the beginning of "5.9 Visual Preview" chapter. I'd like you to test both the 3D View and the Camera View. Try to use your TrackIR and monitor what happens on each view.

Here is what you are supposed to see when it works fine (no head bobbing at all - note that I use v4.x software):

Hi Flappie,

I'm using Track IR 5 with the latest software version 5.4.2.27545 You bring up a good point and I did as you suggested and went into the Track IR software and used 3D Preview mode and Camera view, the head movement is very smooth. The other thing I noticed is the stuttering I am seeing is only showing up in DCS with Track IR running. I did install another game called IL-2 and looked very carefully for any stuttering, but did not see any in IL-2.

Thanks for ideal.

Regards,

Feetwet

so the stuttering does seem to come from track ir. if the game is playing smooth w/out it or paused.

track ir does have a led camera view, it will show red dots if there is some type of interference, green dots showing good rx signal. have u tried testing this? there is also some freq adjustment u can try as well. hope this may help u out some.

but as u stated if u pause track ir all works fine and smooth, i get it and dislike track ir just for that reason -when i use VR i get no head movement lag at all, no idea why track ir and using a 2d monitor cause's this input lag. maybe one day it will be solved, fix or someone will sell a better product.

I agree, hope one day someone decides to fix it. I don't know if DCS is aware of it, but I see talk about it in other threads. Maybe someday in a future release of DCS they might be able to address this. Or Maybe if this is a Track IR issue then Natural Point might do something about it. In the mean time I do what I do best wait and get older. Maybe sometime in my life time they will fix it.

Regards,

Feetwet

Checkmate, just as a side venture, could you go into control panel > Administrative tools > Event Viewer > then click custom views and a drop down should appear called administrative events, click administrative events and check the logs for any WHEA errors, just to make sure your CPU is getting enough volts.

Probably nothing to do with the problem you are having but its good to check.

When I upgraded to the board I am using now, I was getting bad micro stutters playing BF3, it maybe was a placebo effect as I tried quite a few different things and upping my CPU volts seemed to fix the stutters as I was getting WHEA errors, so not enough juice to run the CPU effectively.

Bearshin,

Not sure where to find that in Windows 10. Did a search, but not coming up with anything that looks like the admin tool. I do remember that in Windows 7 so I know what it use to look like.

We did check the CPU voltage with AMD Ryzen Master and CPUID HWMonitor while running DCS and everything according to Digital Storm's tech said that everything look normal.

Regards,

Feetwet

Edited by Checkmate

It could be useful to look for system and software error messages in the Event Manager, anyway.

1. Press Windows key

2. Type "event"

3. Click on "Event Manager" icon.

image.png

Yes, first thing we should do is to setup some of the diagnostic utilities and the recording software and explain you how to record it on the same computer with software without affecting the sim.

But ... I sent you a PM over how we should proceed, I think we shouldn't pollute this thread with talk about installations and configurations.

I will create tutorials and guides and post them publicly in the recently created forum subsection for just that anyway, so others definitely won't be cut short on this process.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

They asked me to make video of it and suggested I use the video recording software built into Windows 10 (Windows Key followed by G). All new to me. When I tried doing this in DCS, it brings up a screen on top of DCS with several recording buttons and it darkens the screen. What's interesting when I do this is the stuttering goes away. WHY??

I've just tested this on my side, and the TrackIR keeps working with Game bar on. Is it the same on your side? This would mean the Windows Game bar temporarily deactivates what's causing the bad interaction between DCS and the TrackIR. And I think it might be your mouse, since it is used by the Windows Game bar.

Would you please test a flight session with your mouse unplugged ?

If you have USB game controllers other than your HOTAS (ie. gamepads), please unplug them as well.

Edited by Flappie

Just had a quick scan through this thread again and in one post checkmate you mentioned your monitor had a USB plug and you weren't sure why, I would say it is just a pass through USB, so you plug the monitor USB into your tower, which then enables a female USB port on your monitor so you can plug a USB device into your monitor just for ease of use.

I'm having a studder issue as well, but it seems to be a consistent problem. I was wanting to know if this is the same problem that I was having.

Every fifteen or so seconds, my game, CPU and GPU usage will stop. This stop only lasts roughly a half second, but it happens consistently every 10 or 15 seconds.

I have found that there is a RAM clearing utility which does work some of the time in clearing 'standby' RAM. This clears the studders completely, but I do not know if this is just a coincidence or the cause of my problems.

Everything else about DCS is perfectly smooth aside from those stutters.

old problem I and other investigated for long time , there is only 1 solution to this problem : cap fps to 60.

That's all, I wrothe several post and threads about it.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

He did say he set refresh to 60hz... but maybe he never tried VSync or a specific frame-rate cap...

CheckMate... How did you set that?

Also... why not just pick up an HP Reverb? They're superb.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)