New A-10C owner needing a little help with HOTAS

subseauk

Hi guys, just taken the plunge and bought the A-10C as I already have the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS.

I was under the impression having been told in the past that the TM Warthog would be automatically mapped to control the A-10C but having just tried it this does not seem to be the case unless I'm missing something. Can anyone help as I really don't want to go through binding everything from scratch if not required!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :thumbup:

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII HERO (wifi) motherboard ( latest bios etc )

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Corsair Domiinator Platinum 32 GB (4x8Gb ) 3600MHz RAM

EVGA Nvidia GTX 1080Ti 11Mb graphics card

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME M.2( Boot up and main program storage )

Fractal S36 AIO CPU Cooler

Oculus Quest + LINK system

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + CH Rudder Pro

Aircraft: Gazelle, Huey, AV-8B, A10C, Spitfire

Scenery etc: Super carrier, Syria, Persian Gulf, A10C Trng Qual, Worlds apart Spring 2025,

What issues are you having specifically? Are there no bindings at all? Are there bindings, but they don't match the physical HOTAS? Do there appear to be binding conflicts?

The HOTAS functions should match out of the box. You could try backing up and deleting the A-10 input folder in Config. There is also a repair function in the DCS install that you could try running.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

What issues are you having specifically? Are there no bindings at all? Are there bindings, but they don't match the physical HOTAS? Do there appear to be binding conflicts?

The HOTAS functions should match out of the box. You could try backing up and deleting the A-10 input folder in Config. There is also a repair function in the DCS install that you could try running.

Hi, I just installed the A-10 assuming that the bindings would all match up to the throttle and joystick but other than the joystick movement nothing seems to have bindings ie no buttons work. I will look when I get on tonight to confirm. I will also try deleting and repair as you suggest.

Cheers

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Scenery etc: Super carrier, Syria, Persian Gulf, A10C Trng Qual, Worlds apart Spring 2025,

Like Exorcet says, it should work out of the box. There are a few buttons that are mapped "wrong", for example the Trim hat is bound to view controls and needs re-binding to Trim, if you use a headtracker or VR to control your views.

Just a wild guess: are you by any chance running a TARGET profile? DCS is only pre-configured for the "naked" Warthog without TARGET.

Like Exorcet says, it should work out of the box. There are a few buttons that are mapped "wrong", for example the Trim hat is bound to view controls and needs re-binding to Trim, if you use a headtracker or VR to control your views.

Just a wild guess: are you by any chance running a TARGET profile? DCS is only pre-configured for the "naked" Warthog without TARGET.

Don't know about the TARGET profile, is there any way to check one way or the other?

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Don't know about the TARGET profile, is there any way to check one way or the other?

If you don't know about it, you're not using it. ;)

TARGET is a software provided by Thrustmaster that allows users of various Thrustmaster Joysticks/devices to map custom keybinds. But a profile needs to be set up, and TARGET needs to run in order to have an effect. So if you're not sure, you're almost certainly not using TARGET, and your problem has a different cause.

In this case, a DCS repair sounds like a good option.

You could also try to rename your

Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input

folder and check if the problem goes away (this is the other suggestion by Exorcet).

Let us know how it goes!

If you don't know about it, you're not using it. ;)

TARGET is a software provided by Thrustmaster that allows users of various Thrustmaster Joysticks/devices to map custom keybinds. But a profile needs to be set up, and TARGET needs to run in order to have an effect. So if you're not sure, you're almost certainly not using TARGET, and your problem has a different cause.

In this case, a DCS repair sounds like a good option.

You could also try to rename your

Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input

folder and check if the problem goes away (this is the other suggestion by Exorcet).

Let us know how it goes!

Hi, I ran up DCS last night and set the columns for the A-10C to default under the HOTAS headers and all the buttons appeared to be there. However, when I started up a training mission the buttons did not seem to function. The only one I rebound was the Chinese hat on the joystick from view to trim functions as I intend to use VR once I get the HOTAS sorted.

I know this fault may lay with me but I would say at this point I'm not overly impressed with the issue. it seems with ED that they sell you a lot of hype and then the users have to sort out the program themselves with help from guys like you who can spare time to assist. I have to admit I am not the most PC minded person having come from Apple but this way of doing business just seems very poor. I am thinking of opening a ticket with ED for their input.

Rant over :)

Thanks again for your help so far.

Cheers:thumbup:

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Hi, I ran up DCS last night and set the columns for the A-10C to default under the HOTAS headers and all the buttons appeared to be there. However, when I started up a training mission the buttons did not seem to function. The only one I rebound was the Chinese hat on the joystick from view to trim functions as I intend to use VR once I get the HOTAS sorted.

I know this fault may lay with me but I would say at this point I'm not overly impressed with the issue. it seems with ED that they sell you a lot of hype and then the users have to sort out the program themselves with help from guys like you who can spare time to assist. I have to admit I am not the most PC minded person having come from Apple but this way of doing business just seems very poor. I am thinking of opening a ticket with ED for their input.

Rant over :)

Thanks again for your help so far.

Cheers:thumbup:

For most users it does work out of the box as the others have already said before me. It's odd that it is not the case for you.

I don't know about training missions as I've never tried them, but maybe your inputs are restricted in those missions, so that the game only allows you to press a specific button that you are supposed to press. Maybe try again in a non-training mission and see if it works there?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah like others have said it should be configured first time. Open the controls and make sure you have the a10c selected. Now push all the buttons and make sure the menu responds and changes to each press so you know what each does. If that's all working ok, and you still have nothing working in 3d, then i have no idea lad.

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

Another aspect worth double checking:

The game has two "modes": Game flight mode and realistic flight mode.

The game flight mode has some simplifications and uses its own, independent set of controls.

What you should check: Options -> Gameplay -> Game Flight Mode: Off / not checked

Options -> Controls -> A-10C Real -> ...

Basically:

Options -> Controls -> A-10C Real corresponds to Game Flight Mode Off

Options -> Controls -> A-10C Game corresponds to Game Flight Mode On

The training missions enforce Game Flight Mode Off, and subsequently in the training missions the controls will always be taken from "A-10C Real".

Rebinding buttons like the Coolie Hat to trim should not cause any problems with the rest of the controls.

Also worth checking: when you're in a mission, hit ESC and then "Adjust controls" (or something like it). Like mastersetter says, once you're in the controls binding screen, the screen should immediately jump to the appropriate line as soon as you hit a button on your HOTAS. Let us know whether or not that works.

I am thinking of opening a ticket with ED for their input.

Sure, that's always an option. Just know that their resources are limited. This community forum is usually a very good place to get fast help from a big variety of fellow virtual aviators. :thumbup:

Hopefully once this issue is resolved, you'll be able to help others if they encounter the same problem. :)

"when I started up a training mission the buttons did not seem to function."

In training missions I think some buttons are inhibited to stop you ruining the mission. I think he even says something along those lines in the dialogue? Try one of the quick missions.

Stick with it- they'll be a simple explanation. Take it from me- its well worth the money once you start exploring the capabilities of the machine with a HOTAS.

Edited by Sunscreen