Sikorsky bombards Polish helicopter tender

Bucic

• ~4 billion dollar
  • ~70 multirole helicopters
  • final offer deadline: November 2014
  • requirements known for over a year

Sikorsky writes letters n s£*# threatening they will withdraw from the tender procedure.

Edited by Bucic

They claim the tender requirements are tailored for one of the bidders. Our MoD says the requirements result from analyses of our operational needs and these are reflected in the tender requirements as opposed to "what some company has for sale".

I can't say anything more until I make sure the info I intend to post is publicly available.

PS. What is known commonly is that currently Poland uses Mi-8 variants for the purpose of CSAR, SAR, ASW, transport etc. A lot can be deduced from this.

The Sikorsky Company has decided to withdraw from the tender procedure. I know some details behind the whole situation but I can't post anything until they are at least well hinted in the media.

Typical Tender shenanigans where often the real requirements are left short to the whims of some brown envelopes, whispers and back slapping. Same the world over.

To be fair you can't really judge such company without knowing what specific requirements they protested against. Simply put two situations are possible:

1. Company X prostests against some requirements because they touch their disadvantages against the competitors or because it would require some big effort to make adjustments to company X helicopter design.

2. Tender requirements and conditions actually have been tailored for one of the bidders' product from the very beginning, maybe even with some ridiculous provisions that fit company Y product but don't fit company X product. Example: a requirement specifying the drive of a turreted gun in great detail, so that it matches the description of company Y helicopter gun design, whereas it should only state e.g. minimum precision and reliability characteristics.

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 months later...
So they are having a sissyfit because none of their choppers meet the Polish requirments???

This would pretty much be it. Tailoring requirements so that only one competitior has a chance of winning is not unusual all over the world but it was not the case this time.

The helicopter is meant to replace our Mi-8/Mi-17 line mainstay and only the Airbus Helicopters (formerly Eurocopter EC725) comes even close with regard to takeoff weight capacity, range, number of cabin seats for equipped soldiers etc.

Sikorsky didn't even bother to offer weapons which was HALF of the bloody tender procedure. Agusta-Westland offers a de-facto prototype. And a tiny one at that.

Both companies are all over the fact that they 'have factories already in Poland'. The fact is the both 'factories' are former Polish Aviation Works taken over some time ago which are now more of assembly lines, at a fraction of their old capacity and input to the actual aviation culture and potential of Poland. Employing at ~800 dollars a month... They have also scored far less in the offset part of the tender procedure than Airbus Helicopters.

• 1 year later...
This would pretty much be it. Tailoring requirements so that only one competitior has a chance of winning is not unusual all over the world but it was not the case this time.

The helicopter is meant to replace our Mi-8/Mi-17 line mainstay and only the Airbus Helicopters (formerly Eurocopter EC725) comes even close with regard to takeoff weight capacity, range, number of cabin seats for equipped soldiers etc.

Sikorsky didn't even bother to offer weapons which was HALF of the bloody tender procedure. Agusta-Westland offers a de-facto prototype. And a tiny one at that.

Both companies are all over the fact that they 'have factories already in Poland'. The fact is the both 'factories' are former Polish Aviation Works taken over some time ago which are now more of assembly lines, at a fraction of their old capacity and input to the actual aviation culture and potential of Poland. Employing at ~800 dollars a month... They have also scored far less in the offset part of the tender procedure than Airbus Helicopters.

What about AW101?

well, if EC725 is the preferred aircraft, AW101 is probably just in a different class - AW101's empty weight isn't that far off the EC725's max takeoff weight. That said, AW101 would seem to me to be a closer replacement for the Mi17...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why yes, I did just crash...

well, if EC725 is the preferred aircraft, AW101 is probably just in a different class - AW101's empty weight isn't that far off the EC725's max takeoff weight. That said, AW101 would seem to me to be a closer replacement for the Mi17...

That!

Why Agusta and Sikorsky submitted their two microbes against the Eurocopter/Airbus Helicopters 225/725 is beyond me.

I've been working close to the tender procedure. For the past two years (or maybe even more) it was like watching paint dry. :(

Poland is back with SH70i it seems... At least for SF for now but one would need to know the country to understand why it is better that way...

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta