Is Black Shark as complete as A10C?

Taz1004

I've been looking for modules to buy and after trying them during FFA, I decided not to buy anything that's incomplete or EA.

I did own the first Black Shark and loved it.

I will buy A10C but is Black Shark 2 as complete? As bug free with complete training missions?

Also, is Black Shark 3 going to be free upgrade or discounted upgrade?

Edited by Taz1004

I do not know whether Ka-50 missions, training and campaigns are bugged or not, but aircraft itself is feature complete and I'm not aware of any game braking bugs. BS3 will be paid upgrade. BS2 will be discontinued from store but it will be playable. Keep in mind it's an older module, so no fancy features like ins drift and similar...

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

I will buy A10C but is Black Shark 2 as complete?

IMHO, yes i.e. data link, etc.

Last year I started to get fed up with the "alpha" state of the many EA modules, so switched back to the A-10C and then Ka-50 as both are complete and relatively bug free.

As bug free with complete training missions?

It's pretty bug free (some regressions were introduced with 1.5.x, etc.) but 2.5.6 is a moving target with some of those (i.e. lighting) fixed and new ones added i.e. mission scripts, triggers, AI, etc.

IIRC the training missions were originally non-interactive videos, however BigfootMSR created interactive training missions for the community (2012 ?) and these are now part of the default install.

You need to adjust your default audio levels and they are not perfect but are better than what was available by default.

Note: I haven't tested the training missions in 2.5.6, so can't be sure if they are problem free ATM.

Also, is Black Shark 3 going to be free upgrade or discounted upgrade?

BS3 is planned as an optional (discounted) upgrade for existing owners and to replace BS2 in the store once it's released.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Just jumped back into it myself.

I believe it's pretty bug free, as I don't know of any bugs. But latest updates of DCS has messed up lightning, but that goes for many modules. Messes up missions with night vision somewhat.

Truly deeply HATE cockpit reflections. Makes it hard to use the SHKVAL at night. Wish all modules could turn off reflections though.

It could probably use some more training missions, but the ones there are pretty good. WAIT until he stops speaking until you do something though, or you might get out of sync. F-18 suffers heavily from this problem as well.

Campaigns are fun. Replaying "Deployment" that comes with it. I still really like it. It "eases" you into the action. DCS has evolved so much since I played it 2-3 years ago. But. Again things have been messed up with updates. So far, mission 5 or 6. Everytime you have wingman, he tries to hump you at mission start. To solve this I enter "Misson Planner", not "Editor", pre start. I click on the Farp and drag it a little to the side. Case solved. If course it can be done and saved in the ME as well. But are we really supposed to be able to drag things around in the "Planner"? Especially farps. Well, anyway. This exact issue with wingmen spawning on top of you, now happens in the Mi-8 Spring Tension campaign as well. So I guess it's not related to the Ka-50.

Well, to sum it up. Get it if you liked v1. There are issues, but they are "core" related, not especially module related. Workarounds exist. V3 will be a first day buy for me anyway.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I have been flying some BS missions with a friend , the are a lot of fun, i die a lot, but that’s also fun

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

In OB the helicopter appears to be in a transitional phase.

The flight model feels slightly different, fuel quantity power switch is current non-functional, I've heard about sudden engine vibration and fire without prior warning, weapon pylon indicator lights are hard to see, Kh-25 aren't tracking anymore ... it's totally not bug free.

The Shkval is still terrible under specific conditions. Sometimes it's not even possible to lock a plane/helicopter silhouetted against the sky, because your locking range is artificially decreased (based on weather & TOD).

It's probably not going to be perfect before BS3 releases and even then it might need a couple of patches. To be fair it's pretty good most of the time.

If I'm not mistaken, the KA-50 Shark is one of the most complete aircraft in the game.

I think the game was actually called DCS Shark before it became DCS World.

Later Shark 2 was released, and just some weeks ago, a (free) visual refresh with new high res cockpit (and lighting fixes in the beta.)

The Shark 3 seems to be some to be some kind of expansion about a prototype vehicle that may not exist in real life, but I know little about it. I was just pleased the Shark 2 got a pretty new skin.

I recently bought the Black Shark after free to play week. Having only owned the UH1-Huey, which introduced me to DCS only very recently. The Huey is not very capable in modern or heavy combat, but is so much fun to fly.

(Others can correct my facts on Shark 1, 2 history if too inaccurate.)

Edited by DimSim

The MI-8 is the most complete chopper Sim in DCS.

The KA-50 is the most complex which may give the impression it is a complete sim like the A-!0.

But the KA-50 only lacks minor things like electrical circuits and other minor stuff.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

If I'm not mistaken, the KA-50 Shark is one of the most complete aircraft in the game.

I think the game was actually called DCS Shark before it became DCS World.

Later Shark 2 was released…

2008:

2010:

• LockOn: Flaming Cliffs 2 (+ multiplayer compatibility with the DCS: BS).

2011:

• DCS: A-10C Warthog;
  • DCS: Black Shark 2 (+ multiplayer compatibility with the DCS: A-10C).

2012:

• DCS World (+ BS2 and A-10C modules for DCS World) and DCS: P-51D Mustang;

2013:

• DCS: Combined Arms;
  • DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3;
  • etc.

Edited by S.E.Bulba
update.

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.