VR headset vs Track IR - Which do you prefer?

I have both. I continue to use both. As fun as VR is, I still enjoy breathtaking photo real graphics with high settings and at a steady, high fps. With TrackIR well-tuned, the only things I really lose are 1:1 tracking and vertical field of view. I find it more relaxing to play without a VR headset. Easier to sip on my rum and coke. I also enjoy being able to see everything around me, including all of my various controllers.

The immersion of being inside the cockpit in VR is amazing. But until the hardware and software become good enough that I can play with decent resolution with a more natural field of view and with graphics settings maxed out, I will still be spending a lot of time flying with a large TV and TrackIR.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Then I started doing some "button pushing" and came to realize being able to read the radars, the hud etc in detail was fairly hard. I also couldn't zoom in like when I use my track IR, so I had to constantly lean in to take a "closer look" and also hover the mouse over buttons to see if it was the right one. I didn't even try the hand glove thingy cuz then I have no idea how I'm going to push the button and hold the HOTAS at the same time...

I use PointCtrl and it works so much better than the controllers or a mouse in VR.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3607054

I prefer TrackIR a little more, mostly due to higher FPS and high graphic fidelity of a 4KTV. When I sit next to my 4KTV it almost covers all my visual field of view, and the graphics are crisp all the way to the horizon. That plus the freedom to type with keyboard, or operate multiple button boxes/switches without feeling blind. Right now reprojection mode to help with low FPS is not ideal because image retention when other planes fly by quickly can be annoying.

Once the VR technology rectifies all these (graphics, FPS without relying on reprojection, ability to see your input devices), it will probably be my go to mode of play.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I agree with everything you said. I have been trackir for years and a few months ago I got a rift s and rtx 2080 ti. And I must say it was amazing immersion and felt like I was really in the plane. But I also found it awkward to use keyboard and click buttons on my warthog throttle.

I found using voice attack didn't work that well, probably my Australian accent, and didn't like the fact that I had to talk out load to my pc. Lol

Reading and zoom was the big disappointment for me in vr.

Im in two minds now about trackir and vr.

I use trackir when I'm learning in the f18 because I find it easier to find buttons and watch a YouTube video at the same time.

I think vr still has some issues that needs fixed in dcs and in general. Can't wait to see what next generation of vr comes out soon.

VR for me.... no doubts.

Track IR was a great start but that sense of sitting on the harrier or A-10 in comparison to sitting in the aircraft is just to valuable to me. It really has pulled me out of pure choppers and also into Aeroplanes.

For choppers, VR is just pure bliss.

I have already started to re build my small ancillary pit and rework the Thrustmaster MFDs to better suit working in VR.

For me the straining to look behind is a bonus. However, the lack of periphery focus is a downside with VR. but just fine in a helicopter with no rear view.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Have used TrackIr for years. Finally moved to a HP Reverb and haven't looked back. The immersion factor alone beats TrackIR. One thing tho, you'll need some decent hardware to get the best out of VR

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

I bought TrackIR 5 and Rift S. The TrackIR 5 got sold. The resolution limitations you mention with VR is absolutely true. But for me, I can live with that. And I am hopeful that giant strides will be made with VR in the near and medium term futures. Exciting times.

I find cockpit interaction okay with a mouse and not being able to see a keyboard. Most HOTAS have plenty of functions. But again emerging technologies with finger sensing and iris scanning will no doubt improve this part of the VR experience too.

I can understand why someone would go TrackIR given VR's current limitations, but not for me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It all depends on what you want in your simulation. I'm not a competitive flyer and don't fly in multi-player, so I tried VR with the Rift CV1 when it first came out, and my TIR has been gathering dust ever since. I really liked the feeling of being in the plane, the 1:1 head/body movement, the depth perception, all those things. The resolution left a lot to be desired, but I was able to compensate for that quite a bit just by turning the DCS PD up to about 2.0. I thought I had something really good going there, and then I got the Reverb Pro, and I realized just how much better it could get. I was able to not only see, but identify, other aircraft that I didn't even know were there in the CV1. I also no longer needed to use the "VR zoom" feature to read some of the smaller things in the cockpit. The main advantage of VR that I noticed was that, due to the depth perception and 1:1 head/body movement, I was able to evade incoming AAA and SAMs MUCH easier because of the fact that I now instinctively knew exactly which way to point the jet. Most of the time, I'm defeating missile shots with maneuvers alone and rarely use chaff or flares. Count me in as one of those who went VR and never went back. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

VR all the way. No way I could go back to watching it on TV... be like the difference between and drone pilot and aircraft pilot.

Lots of things to get used to, keyboard needs to be worked out so you use mouse/key binds as much as possible. I have put a ring of tape around a couple of my throttle switches so they feel different. I know much more quickly which one i'm on then. Button box is good, my is homemade so I have buttons well spaced and mostly use it for game controls not plane controls. Don't bind anything you can use easily with the mouse.. it may be cool to flip the APU on with a switch, but pointless in VR. You are better off mapping that to something like the kneeboard, pause, comms menu or even a view. Things that aren't available in the cockpit and aren't time sensitive, like gear for instance.

I couldn't do BFM on TrackIR, just kept losing my sense of direction, turning my head away from my screen and looking through the corners of my eyes all the time. VR BFM is great, much better sense of direction and distance, along with being a real rush! For those that have difficulty turning/with FOV use a swivel chair to even up the odds.

I have been on and off sims for around 15 years. On because I love flying planes, off because it always gets too awkward. VR is now the difference I have been waiting all this time for!!

I really enjoyed the TrackIR when I got it, to be honest it was a leap forward for me. However, since I've been using VR, I'd never go back.

I find the natural feel of VR to be the deal breaker vs the "look out of the corner of your eye" issues that TrackIR puts you in. Even with a triple monitor setup, I found that an immersion breaker. Looking behind is also something that VR does very very well and TrackIR can't come close to that.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Despite all its cons, VR is the way to fly.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I use VR for combat sims like DCS, IL-2 or racing simulators (AC, ACC).

Trackir for more relaxed stuff like FSX, P3D, ETS2.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Trackhat clip for configurations / quick test flights for particular issues, VR the rest of the time.

Like some others here it is the spatial awareness that swings it. I have a low mounted mouse pad in front of my right chair armrest for VR use - makes the mouse easy to find and have a Razer Tartarus pro next to my throttle for functions such as escape.

I also use VoiceAttack / Vaicom but like having to take my hands off the HOTAS to flick switches

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

As much as I love the thought of VR I think the future is actually a monitor you fit your head into allowing you to actually look down and see your real life self and controls.Like an extra large helmet that attaches to back of your chair that you swing into position and then kinda squeeze into chair and when you sit upright your head is surrounded by monitor.Or another thing would be very thin,lightweight and flexible monitor panels that you can clip together to form domes etc.

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

As much as I love the thought of VR I think the future is actually a monitor you fit your head into allowing you to actually look down and see your real life self and controls.Like an extra large helmet that attaches to back of your chair that you swing into position and then kinda squeeze into chair and when you sit upright your head is surrounded by monitor.Or another thing would be very thin,lightweight and flexible monitor panels that you can clip together to form domes etc.

Lol. A VR headset is two monitors strapped to your face.... With your idea, how would I lean forward??? Monitor panels have drawbacks with depth of field and FOV. That's why VR has one for each eye. Makes for a more natural viewpoint.

The future is VR headsets getting smaller, lighter, easier to wear for long periods and very easy to power at high frame rates. I think in 5yrs some people will be using them instead of a monitors for general PC use in an augmented reality mode - so you can have small or large screens all over your office depending on what you do.

A dome type monitor is still only going to be showing 2 dimensions though, which defeats the whole purpose of VR.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I'm actually going to go back on what I said previously. Lack of clarity, less detail and just hit and miss with FPS, I've gone back to TrackIr. As I sit in a sim frame and have a 43" 4k monitor not far in front, I decided to try and get TrackIr set up better then before. I followed Jabbers tutorial on how to set up TrackIr correctly and wow, what a difference. Immersion is still there and with max details and excellent frame rates, I'm going to give VR a miss till the hardware is more advanced and DCS gives VR a bit more love.

Immersion is still there

I´m sorry to disagree but that´s where TIR can´t overcome VR, not matter how big or wide monitor(s) you own, or 4K or 8K resolution.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

You know what they say about opinions? Anyway I'm enjoying DCS again. I will go back to VR in the future.