Kneeboard suggestion

SilentSierra

Hi there,

I would like to suggest some improvements in the kneeboard of the DCS.

• window: draggable and resizeble.
  • map: draggable (move up/down/left/right) and scrollable (zoom in/out).
  • chapter tabs: clickable tabs to select (briefing, charts, checklists, etc.).
  • generic briefing: briefing pages with editable notes like WDP.
  • interactive checklists: each plane embed interactive checklist with clickable checkboxes like Xchecklist plugin.

PS 1: The Kneeboard Builder developer did a good job.

PS 2: If the interactive checklist software or file available for customization, community members could develop for free.

PS 3: Generic briefing generated by WDP:

OU8TLsJ1SNGygfmaSXYIKA.png

Best regards.

Edited by SilentSierra

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

One addition I would like to make is:

Redo the kneeboard as a 3D object into the cockpit, and have it be usable like any cockpit button, switch and knob.

The kneeboard should be placed on either knee, even if the pilot model is invisible. A 2D object in the cockpit as well as use of the briefing screen and the F-10 map is neither realistic nor immersive.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Redo the kneeboard as a 3D object into the cockpit, and have it be usable like any cockpit button, switch and knob.

The kneeboard should be placed on either knee, even if the pilot model is invisible. A 2D object in the cockpit as well as use of the briefing screen and the F-10 map is neither realistic nor immersive.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

+1 It would be better if the kneeboard was actually a kneeboard, though I'd think it best to have it optional so both parties are happy.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

Co-signed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

If I would add one thing to this list, it would be to have the option to make groups or tabs prior to entering the mission. This way, you could group your checklists and charts ahead of time rather than having to set the groups every time you get into the cockpit.

Apologies if I'm being obtuse (just in case you can already do this) but I'd like the ability to edit and customise the kneeboard from the mission editor, using both pre-existing assets (airfield diagrams, the Viggen has a dynamic table for waypoints, the MiG-15, Mi-8MTV2, F-5E etc also have their own special pages) as well as user images (like we can with briefings) all from the mission editor. If it's left alone it's left as default.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Let me actually write on my Kneeboard! I don't need 'MS paint'-situation or anything, just text notes to myself. :P Love these ideas and probably not that much of work for ED since most functions are already in the sim, via mission editor, normal cockpit interaction code and of course current mission planner & kneeboard.

Edited by ApoNOOB

• 6 months later...

Yes, please give us TABS. Real pain to have to go through multiple pages and back again when switching between checklist / charts / manual / etc.

Would need keybind prev / next tab.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Yes, please give us TABS. Real pain to have to go through multiple pages and back again when switching between checklist / charts / manual / etc.

+1

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

• 2 weeks later...

While we're wish listing, having coordinates, like those from JTAC, dynamically pasted to the kneeboard would be great for those of us that can't type them in before they disappear and have a VR headset on, making scribbling them down a little challenging.

A real life pilot would possibly scribble down the coordinates, maybe on the canopy rather than the kneeboard, to save having to ask the scout to keep repeating the instructions.

I know, I perhaps just need to 'git gud' at entering them faster, but at 55 I'm not sure that getting better at memorising 12-13 digits is very likely. ;)

While we're wish listing, having coordinates, like those from JTAC, dynamically pasted to the kneeboard would be great for those of us that can't type them in before they disappear and have a VR headset on, making scribbling them down a little challenging.

A real life pilot would possibly scribble down the coordinates, maybe on the canopy rather than the kneeboard, to save having to ask the scout to keep repeating the instructions.

I know, I perhaps just need to 'git gud' at entering them faster, but at 55 I'm not sure that getting better at memorising 12-13 digits is very likely. ;)

+1

Or have a log of all the comms in one of the kneeboard tabs.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

And one page to enter notes with the keyboard :book:

Good idea in principle, and nothing against it, but I suppose it will add complications as to how to distinguish between keyboard commands and keyboard input to the kneeboard. Much additional work for the devs? Extra delay to implement this (essential) feature.

Adding tabs I suspect would not be a lot of work as all they would need to add would be two new key binds (next tab, prev tab), and placing the respective images into subfolders, with not too much extra code? The kneeboard wouldn't even need to look any different (although visible tabs would be nice), it would just be a minor change to functionality.

Just having a dynamic scratchpad page on the kneeboard, that could be amended via lua scripts would allow for some innovative community mods, including keyboard input and perhaps recording the latest 1 or 2 JTAC coordinates or even the full nine lines.

With a utility like voice attack, you might even be able to dictate notes directly onto the kneeboard.

Just having a dynamic scratchpad page on the kneeboard, that could be amended via lua scripts would allow for some innovative community mods, including keyboard input and perhaps recording the latest 1 or 2 JTAC coordinates or even the full nine lines.

With a utility like voice attack, you might even be able to dictate notes directly onto the kneeboard.

Yes yes yes , this is something I've been thinking about now , even more so that the hornet is about to be released, I have no way to record coordinates without pulling off my hmd in vr, even if I could store one jtac on screen and pull it up with a command, or pause the message from disappearing. Ideally would be look at f10 map hit a key that saves the coordinates that your cursor is over to the kneeboard. Seems like something that can be implemented pretty easily.

Not trying to be a smartarse, as I too would like to see some extra features on the kneeboard, but until I even knew that there was a kneeboard in-game at all; I just grabbed my actual one and used that, though perhaps it's a bit unfair to expect people to print out manual and pocket checklist pages (writing things down with games like it's the 1980s again, having the paper part there on ones own knee meant I could write on it and all that good stuff.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Not trying to be a smartarse, as I too would like to see some extra features on the kneeboard, but until I even knew that there was a kneeboard in-game at all; I just grabbed my actual one and used that, though perhaps it's a bit unfair to expect people to print out manual and pocket checklist pages (writing things down with games like it's the 1980s again, having the paper part there on ones own knee meant I could write on it and all that good stuff.

Yes I made my own kneeboard too but its not easy to use in vr , quite impossible actually. I've been making my own in game kneeboards but still doesn't work for multiplayer targets of opportunity.

Apologies if I'm being obtuse (just in case you can already do this) but I'd like the ability to edit and customise the kneeboard from the mission editor, using both pre-existing assets (airfield diagrams, the Viggen has a dynamic table for waypoints, the MiG-15, Mi-8MTV2, F-5E etc also have their own special pages) as well as user images (like we can with briefings) all from the mission editor. If it's left alone it's left as default.

Agree with this. Nearly everything else about any given mission can be customised, except the knee board. The default pages are OK but we should have the ability to customise them all, even if its as simple as the knee board displaying a paginated pdf file or similar.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

This already exists. It's just not implemented for all modules.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=171207

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178045

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

I had no idea that this even existed. Thanks for the heads-up. Hopefully it will implemented for all modules at some point.

Quick question: Once the bookmarks are set, is it permanent, or do you have to set them up each time you start a mission?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=171207

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178045

That's really cool. My guess is that this is the default generic DCS implementation that is overridden by the custom lua kneeboards for each module. So modules which rely on the generic kneeboard will have the feature while the custom module-specific ones won't until they are improved by the respective module developers.

The keybinds are also available for the C-101 (haven't tried them yet though), so maybe not just Belsimtek aircraft?

Maybe the wish needs to be changed to: implement for all aircraft please?

Edited by Hippo