Hornet Sound

JABO2009

Dear ED,

quite some details about the upcoming Version / Liveries and armament were given so far, what about the Sound ?

You have source / cooperation with active duty hornet squads to authentically record/ replicate the Engine Sound or is this up to the Modders and the Hornet will use DCS vanilla Sound first ?

Happy to learn more about this..

Cheers

Jabo09

Edited by JABO2009
  • Like 1

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

sound samples are being given to ED Directly from Boeing IIRC

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

sound samples are being given to ED Directly from Boeing IIRC

Yes, all provided directly from Boeing.

"sounds" promising ! great, thanks :thumbup:

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

really cant wait anymore for the F-18, I really hope that ED will have mercy with us and reveals the estimated release timeframe quite soon.

• Like 1

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Here is an estimate... we are a day closer to release ;)

:megalol:

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

Its great that sounds are directly from Boeing, however, I guess Boeing will deliver "internal systems" sounds (head seeker, low altitude alarm, betty and such) so I wonder what about the external "air distortion" sound?? Is ED planing something "especial" for this sounds also?

thanks!

Without actual first hand knowledge of the Hornet, how many people will know which internal sounds are real or imagineered?

Even "air distortion" is a stretch to pin an exact sound. So many variables to consider.

I guess I find this specific focus kind of funny considering there are so many other things to be ensured in/on the jet for release.

• Like 1

• ED Team
Without actual first hand knowledge of the Hornet, how many people will know which internal sounds are real or imagineered?

Even "air distortion" is a stretch to pin an exact sound. So many variables to consider.

I guess I find this specific focus kind of funny considering there are so many other things to be ensured in/on the jet for release.

F-15 sounds good to me, in the cockpit... if its that good or better, I wont complain.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Try this: open the mission editor, spawn an F-18 and click play.

Now enjoy the new sound.

I can definately confirm this..

tried this yesteday in 2.1 with an AI F18C and yeah, the engine sound changed...(dont blame me if it always was in 2.1 , Im new to this DCS Version)

sounds good to me, although Im not sure If this is already the external sound by boeing or ED's own stuff meanwhile...

Edited by JABO2009

While most of the DCS sounds are awesome, one area that has always been lacking is the external jet engine sounds.

No module so far has replicated that typical rip-roaring sound.

I hope the Hornet will sound as awesome outside as inside.

• Like 1

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

While most of the DCS sounds are awesome, one area that has always been lacking is the external jet engine sounds.

No module so far has replicated that typical rip-roaring sound.

I hope the Hornet will sound as awesome outside as inside.

The m2000 sounds pretty good imo

yeah, thats what I was talking about with the air distortion effect... the m2000 and the F-5 have some decent and close to reality external sound but no module yet has a proper/realistic external sound (jets)... I know well sound is very "tricky" and there are many variables involved on it (dynamic range, frequency response, distortion, temperature, humidity, wind direction, distance to source, reflections, etc.) but that said, I think most of us would be MORE THAN HAPPY with something sounding like how most audio/video recordings do, I mean that the problem with the external sound is not in the simulation, nor the quality, nor the dynamic range, nor anything I mentioned previously but in the fact that the external sounds we have just dont sound like the real thing (as a whole)... so if you cant simulate all the above in all the small pieces which once "cooked" together gives as a result the real sound, then maybe the best thing is to use "pre-cooked" sounds from real life and mix them in a clever way to give the ilusion of being "simulated"... just my 2 cents.

Take a look at my MODS here

on real world experience and media material :)... and dont tell me that cameras dont capture the sound as it is because while thats "true", the missing parts in recordings use to be things like quality, dynamic range, response and such but the "signature", so to speak, of the sound IS the one you experience irl if distortion is not too high and you have good devices to reproduce that recording... but even using a laptop speakers that "signature" of the sound is there in a youtube video for instance and missing in DCS.

anyway it would be important to pinpoint what external sound exactly we are talking about... in my case, I refering to the external sounds being the observer static (and considering the interaction of the ground, which is obviously the more common way people will hear planes irl), so basically "fly by" sounds which is a different thing of being a few meters away from a flying jet like in the F2 camera...

cheers

Take a look at my MODS here