Marianas islands Map

Silver_Dragon

What a nice surprise !!!!

btw. I hope it will be fro free, completing the Caucasus map.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

That is awesome news. Hopefully a really big ocean space to let fleets stretch they’re legs.

Also looks stunning.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

ED, I am a fanboy since the first piece of the flanker series, but what a waste of ressources. . . sorry. . . no one needs that. never heard before that this island is ever existing in real world. . . why no area with historical background, e.g. cold war, balkans. . . i dont need a holiday map.

The map is looking nice! I'm concerned however about its playability for non-carrier planes. I know is a kind of stupid question to make for a largely ocean map, but if there's going to be just 1 airfield PVP MP servers are going to have a tough time including the maximum variety possible of planes, basically restricting the teams to the F-14, F-18, Harrier and Su-33. Could we have a map of the surrounding area? At least some information about the airfields present in the zone. I'm excited for this map but I can't help but feel this is going to be an exclusively PVE map because the other side will have few or none options to operate on it if it isn't via air spawns.

Main: MiG-21bis, because pocket rockets are fun

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

ED, I am a fanboy since the first piece of the flanker series, but what a waste of ressources. . . sorry. . . no one needs that. never heard before that this island is ever existing in real world. . . why no area with historical background, e.g. cold war, balkans. . . i dont need a holiday map.

No history around Guam??? ehm do you even research?

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry, you’re wrong.

I have been asking for this kind of map for a long time.

Do bear in mind that this will have used nothing like the resources of a full map to develop, and it will still let you fly there. Lastly, it’s not that you’re even having to pay for it.

An additional thought is that some of the new building and trees should be re-usable for other Far East conflicts

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Damn I was so close with my Kuriles guess. But actually this is better than the Kuriles, not for perhaps a hotspot, but for gameplay online, both in WW2 and beyond. Guam is most likely included, there's 14 islands surrounded by deep blue Ocean, which is exactly what we asked for.

Thanks and good pick ED! This will see us through a multitude of needed scenarios across the years and satisfy a broad range of communities whilst being "fairly" cheap to produce.

I think the only question is... Modern airbase, old airbase or some hybrid?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

:helpsmilie:

You've never heard of Guam? What cave do you live in?

+ 1000

Some guys like to fly over water / ocean

:D

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

+ 1000

https://m.ww2db.com/battle_spec.php?battle_id=10

smh guys,

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

fantastic news. looks great.

let's just hope, we'll also get a wwII retrofit for this map. i know it's much to ask, but it would be a waste of potential, if this wasn't made into a wwII map also.

looking forward to reading the newsletter!!!

:helpsmilie:

You've never heard of Guam? What cave do you live in?

So .. to my knowledge, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, the Battle of Guam wasn't really an aerial battle. It was bombed from the air by the US B-24s .. but as far as I know the Japanese fielded no aircraft in that battle at all. Even if they did .. there aren't any Japanese planes in DCS. Nor are there B-24s .. we have the P-51 but I can't find any references that says it fought in the Battle of Guam. It might be possible to use it for Battle of the Philippine Sea .. but AFAIK that happened a fair way away from Guam, like more than 500km to the west .. and we don't have any of the planes for that on either side .. nor WWII carriers. Also IRL it was a notorious roflstomp: the Great Marianas Turkey Shoot.

I'm also not sure how you could make a realistic modern scenario out of it. I mean I suppose you could do a modern fantasy "Russia declares war on the US and decides to invade the Marianas Islands" type scenario but it'd be pretty contrived.

Honestly .. it's a nice island and the screenshots look great .. but I'm not sure what we're supposed to do with it.

Edited by Tomsk

+ 1000

There's a simple calculation to be made. How much does it cost (you)?

Apparently the guys that like "free" also want 3 years of placing millions of houses including their own back yard modelled in three different eras.

Terrains, with the current engine are modelled with a large attempt at accuracy, you can find such examples in the current priced DLC. Things like sam sites, army bases, ports have reasonable accuracy. Over that many million of objects the hope that you would get something with city terrain for free was always a choice between Bob Hope and No Hope.

A sea based "terrain" made sense in the current direction not only for ED but it's surrounding marketable DLC and assets as well as being requested many times by customers. The Black sea is closed to US Carriers, A Nimitz cannot get on any free current map in DCS and now, it will be able to.

And if one couldn't work that out, then one's expectations are set unrealistically. You wont get something like PG for free, the effort is ridiculously high to create.

Sure I'd like the world too. But an argument against common sense is literally that.

• Like 1

170829201837-03-north-korea-missile-launch-0829-exlarge-169.jpg

So .. to my knowledge, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, Guam wasn't really an aerial battle. It was bombed from the air by the US B-24s .. but as far as I know the Japanese fielded no aircraft in that battle at all. Even if they did .. there aren't any Japanese planes in DCS. Nor are there B-24s .. we have the P-51 but I can't find any references that says it fought in the Battle of Guam.

I'm also not sure how you could make a realistic modern scenario out of it. I mean I suppose you could do a modern fantasy "Russia declares war on the US and decides to invade the Marianas Islands" type scenario but it's a little contrived.

Honestly .. it's a nice island and the screenshots look great .. but I'm not sure what we're supposed to do with it.

Defend it?

So .. to my knowledge, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, Guam wasn't really an aerial battle. It was bombed from the air by the US B-24s .. but as far as I know the Japanese fielded no aircraft in that battle at all. Even if they did .. there aren't any Japanese planes in DCS. Nor are there B-24s .. we have the P-51 but I can't find any references that says it fought in the Battle of Guam.

I'm also not sure how you could make a realistic modern scenario out of it. I mean I suppose you could do a modern fantasy "Russia declares war on the US and decides to invade the Marianas Islands" type scenario but it'd be pretty contrived.

some links about WW2 campaigns....

https://m.ww2db.com/battle_spec.php?battle_id=10

During the day of 19 June 1944, between Ozawa's attacks on the American fleet and the attacks on Guam and Rota, 429 Japanese planes were shot down. The Americans lost 29. This battle was commonly referred to among the US Navy men as the "Great Marianas Turkey Shoot". Many historians agree that this event marked the end of Japanese naval air power. Coming events would force Japan to rely on the guns of its battleships and cruisers, driving the Japanese to believe even more deeply in seeking Mahan's decisive battle with the US fleets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariana_and_Palau_Islands_campaign

I'm just wondering, do the folks that don't know what to do with Guam from a geopolitical points of view only play the 2008 invasion of Georgia by Russia on Caucasus with realistic Orbats, or the WW2 Nazi invasion of the Maykop oil fields when they pushed to the SE looking for oil? How many servers only play Operation Preying Mantis on PG? Is this a sandbox or are folks stuck in only recreation of things that happened, because if you aren't stepping outside that box, you ar emissing the best part about DCS guys, come on, use your imagination, Guam has been directly threatened by a rogue nuclear nation for the last couple of years at least and it also has history during WW2.

I feel like i'm defending a great choice against some really unimaginative naysayers that got disappointed with a free offering :)