Working on a CAS Mission

Wesjet

Hey guys, I'm diving into the mission editor and going to work out a CAS oriented, primarily co-op with some H2H - mission. I'll outline it here, hoping to gain some input and with good luck and enough spare time to finish it - create a well polished MP mission that we can all enjoy!

Mission Title: TBA

Primary Mission: CAS, ground assault by BLUE.

Objective: City of POTI and Sukhumi Airfield (Secondary).

Season: Summer

Weather: Partly cloudy, light winds, 22 degrees C.

Mission Start Time: 6:00AM Local.

BLUE Start: Batumi (Fixed Wing), Grigoleti (Ground), FARP 'Dallas' near Grigoleti (Helo).

RED Start: Sukhumi (Fixed Wing), Poti (Ground), FARP north of POTI (Helo).

BLUE Force:

6x A10-C

2x A10-A (for those that like things 'old fashioned')

1x Tanker

2x Ground Command

2x Su-25T (SEAD)

4x Helo (KA-50, UH-1H - 2/2 or 4/0...not sure yet)

4x F/A-18C (AI Controlled SEAD flights) 2x2

RED Force:

4x SU-25T

2x SU-25

3x Ground Command

4x Helo (Mi-8/Ka-50, 2/2 or 4/0)

Description:

The mission will open up with RED force occupying the city of POTI, with enough ground units to defend it from attack, and enough SAM/AAA to keep CAS away. AI Controlled F-18s will take off from a carrier off the coast to fly SEAD, there will be 4 aircraft in flights of two - I hope to work in a lot of partner work, this is a hint. The F-18s will be tasked to remove the big threats, and shouldn't delay the mission for players but much if anything as I plan to use all cold-starts for player slots. After these flights, there will be some remaining SAM and AAA threats (nearly all AAA). BLUE force players will have access to Su-25Ts and Ka-50s to work on the remaining air defences. KA-50s will also be useful for recon I hope. However, I do plan to give RED helicopters aswell. I am leaning away from KA-50s to avoid accidental fratricide, but the element of identifying friend or foe intrigues me. Ground command on BLUE will have access to a large supply of units to assault the city - however, minimal collateral damage is key aswell as keeping casualties as low as possible. Re-supply would be limited, and should BLUE take Poti, they can roll out to Sukhumi - where the additional units are a benefit.

RED forces will have ground command to break the predictable tactics of AI, SU-25Ts to run their own CAS and either Mi-8s or Ka-50s. BLUE would be required to capture a RED FARP on the way to Sukhumi. RED will start out with superior number in ground units - however between BLUE CAS and reinforcement, the tide will be in BLUEs favor the entire time. Essentially, RED won't win unless BLUE players get extremely frustrated or have to leave for other obligations. RED force's primary objective will be to hold POTI and use aircraft and ground command to interrupt BLUE's work and make an otherwise easy day hard.

So if you like ruining somebody's day - play RED. If you like coordinated teamwork, pick BLUE.

I am considering AWACS, and Fighters (both sides, very limited) but am unsure how to implement this with it creating a small impact on the CAS. I would like the mission to run smoothly even without a lot of players - and in this case even 1 fighter could be too many. So fighters are likely no-go.

The battle for POTI will be a coordinated effort, I hope to see A-10s in pairs, sharing SPIs, buddy-lasing, and generally using PGMs. Ground units will be moving into the area to assault - so watch danger close! Once POTI is secured, the run to Sukhumi will be rather long but feature sporadic, uncoordinated RED attacks. This is the open killing field, A-10s would be free to attack at their own discretion - with safety of only friendly force movement and aircraft to keep in mind. At this point, there would only be the odd AAA unit. BLUE helicopters can fly close to ground troops and provide talk-on to A-10s or mark targets.

Throughout the whole mission there is chance for A2A engagements. Be prepared to cancel that gun run and dogfight!

Blue force would be making use of the following routes:

E70, E60 & E97

Link to mission planning photos:

http://s277.photobucket.com/user/ApacheC424/library/DCS%20World/ME%20Project

Anyhow, that is all I have got for now! Going to do my best to take my time at this and make sure it turns out good. Which also means there will be lots of testing! :joystick:

Edited by Tiburtius
Updated information.
  • Like 1

My Rig:

CPU: i9-9900k - Corsair H150 Cooler. RAM: 32GB, 3200Mhz.

Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS Formula XI - Main Drive: 512GB NvME SSD

DCS Drive: 512GB NvME SSD - Graphics: GTX 1070 Ti. Display: 23" 1080p LG LCD.

Input: Razer Naga & Blackwidow Ultimate, TrackIR 5, HOTAS Warthog & MFDs (x4), Saitek Rudder Pedals, TurtleBeach PX22 Headset.