Resolution INDEPENDENT Model Visibility Imposters

I made the model visibility imposters resolution independent with literally one line of code in the imposter shader.

This means that they’re the same size regardless of what resolution you play at. Previously, the lower your resolution, the bigger and easier to see the imposters were. Conversely, the higher your resolution, the smaller and more difficult they were to see.

Resolution INDEPENDENT (scales with resolution). Size of the impostors is exaggerated for clarity.

1SvsMp9.gif

Resolution DEPENDENT (stays a fixed size, regardless of resolution)

CJR5Sa7.gif

The first gif is with my fix. The second is what happens normally. You can see how dramatic a difference this makes.

The reason this is such a big deal is that you cannot even begin to decide what setting is realistic for seeing targets at a distance when nobody is even seeing the same thing. With this, the settings in the imposter.lua (which decide how big they are at each setting) are normalized to 1080p, and scale appropriately up or down with changes in resolution.

Attached is a JSGME compatible version of the mod. If you have JSGME, just put the "Resolution Scaling Imposters" in your JGSME mod folder. If you want to do it the old fashioned way, then extract the contents of the "Resolution Scaling Imposters" into your DCS folder.

Something else worth mentioning: I took the screenshots above with an imposter.lua that is similar to what the initial 1.5.0 values were. This is not what imposters look like in 1.5.2 or 2.0.

Right now, the settings ED has put on the game are very strange and you'll see imposters that don't look like planes, but often lines or a series of dots. This is because the maxsize is both very low, and lower than the minsize. I don't like the current model visibility settings because they're prone to flickering and are in general inconsistent in appearance.

FixedImposters.zip

Edited by Why485
  • Like 10

+1 Excellent work! :thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I think the model visibility fixes in 1.5.2 and 2.0 are kind of bugged. As for this mod, its great news for those who feel that visibility settings are some kind of cheat. I play at 1080p so it doesn't really affect me but still, good work.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

this is awesome, i too hope this makes it into DCS........great job......;-)

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals