Engine startup A-10C

knightal

If you go to the options menu on the main screen of DCS, the little gear at the top....there is a tab called misc and under that tab is a setting to synchronize the game setting to the controller at mission start. That needs to be checked...

Most often than not, enabling this option didn't work properly in my DCS install. I have turned it off and have zero problems. So it definately is not necessary.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

If you go to the options menu on the main screen of DCS, the little gear at the top....there is a tab called misc and under that tab is a setting to synchronise the game setting to the controller at mission start. That needs to be checked. The Warthog throttle and the A-10C sim were literally made to work together, and there should be very little you have to change to get it to work. I use the default setup except for a few VR specific things I have added.

You are lifting the throttles back over the hump and clear into the OFF position, and not just moving them to minimum throttle setting, right? If your bindings are somehow screwed up, I think you can just delete the saved games folder and let the game reload them.

Yes I have the "synchronise the game setting to the controller at mission start" tab checked and yes I am moving the throttle all the way to the OFF position.

I did have some success by clearing all the keyboard engine start/stop settings.

It also only seems to be in "SIMULATION" game mode if I use the GAME mode and set a switch to AUTO start everything starts up OK. :book:

Most often than not, enabling this option didn't work properly in my DCS install. I have turned it off and have zero problems. So it definately is not necessary.

Well I just turned it off and all went OK. I'll try a few more cold start missions and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for the numerous offer of assistance. I believe I have found the problem.

I found the problem it was a conflict in the saved file for the throttle.

I had to delete a file called "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog" which is a LUA File (.lua). I then reset the "Throttle" to default in the throttle controller section. Then replaced the inappropriate settings and all seems to be OK.

Oh I should ad that I'm using the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS.

Edited by knightal
added some info

I was having this exact throttle issue today when trying to start the engines. I screwed around for over 2 hours and only managed to get them both started once. I'm wondering if the 2.5.4 update maybe messed something up. I have my old Saitek X45 HOTAS that normally works flawlessly. I thought it maybe had something to do with my recently acquired Cougar MFD's, but I don't think that's it. I'll try your fix...

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

I was having this exact throttle issue today when trying to start the engines. I screwed around for over 2 hours and only managed to get them both started once. I'm wondering if the 2.5.4 update maybe messed something up. I have my old Saitek X45 HOTAS that normally works flawlessly. I thought it maybe had something to do with my recently acquired Cougar MFD's, but I don't think that's it. I'll try your fix...

The location of the file is here just in case you need it:-

root DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Input\A-10C\joystick\Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua

Yes maybe the 2.5.4 update did do something I only got my Warthog HOTAS after that update so never used it on a previous build.

I also remapped a couple of the switches on my Warthog throttle namely 'ENGINE OPER' and the two 'FUEL NORM OVERRIDE' 'ENG L' & 'ENG R' I'm not at my PC now so not exactly sure what I mapped them to but it was something connected with the engine startup. Let me know if you need to know. :)

Oh and I made backups of the files once I got rid of the inappropriate controller setting 'DEFAULT' put in. That way if I later on make changes and it cause the conflict again I can easily get back on track.

My main problem has been getting the APU % gauge bottom Right to get up to 100% I've had it stall out since I changed things but think that was more an error on my side.

That said the A-10C seems to be a bit of a beast to get up and running from cold, but after so many attempts I feel I could almost do it with my eyes shut now.

Now if I could know how to launch all the ordinance as easily :book:

Edited by knightal
added a bit of extra info

The location of the file is here just in case you need it:-

root DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Input\A-10C\joystick\Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua

Yes maybe the 2.5.4 update did do something I only got my Warthog HOTAS after that update so never used it on a previous build.

I also remapped a couple of the switches on my Warthog throttle namely 'ENGINE OPER' and the two 'FUEL NORM OVERRIDE' 'ENG L' & 'ENG R' I'm not at my PC now so not exactly sure what I mapped them to but it was something connected with the engine startup. Let me know if you need to know. :)

Oh and I made backups of the files once I got rid of the inappropriate controller setting 'DEFAULT' put in. That way if I later on make changes and it cause the conflict again I can easily get back on track.

My main problem has been getting the APU % gauge bottom Right to get up to 100% I've had it stall out since I changed things but think that was more an error on my side.

That said the A-10C seems to be a bit of a beast to get up and running from cold, but after so many attempts I feel I could almost do it with my eyes shut now.

Now if I could know how to launch all the ordinance as easily :book:

I have an X45 HOTAS, so my file is for that. It doesn't have a split-throttle, so I use CTRL/ALT HOME to put them into IDLE for engine start. My biggest issue was that these wouldn't work, or would sometimes, but not other times. Sometimes the left would start the right engine too, which made no sense.

I went in the control settings again and had a look. I noticed several of my HATS were mapped to views, which is not what I want as I use a TrackHAT. I deleted these keys and my throttle IDLE seems to work now. Must have been an update or maybe installing the Cougar MFDs that messed them up.

I'm still not sure of the startup order though as there are several guides out there and they all seem to differ. I started with the game manual. The issue I'm still having is when I start the left engine and get it up to 60% (before I start the right one), shortly after (the engine cycle light goes off) I get a Master Caution and the only way to shut it up is turning off the APU GEN.

I can then start the right one normally. If you read the manual and all the guides it says to shut off APU GEN only after starting BOTH engines, so I'm not sure what's wrong here. And does it really matter when you flip the pump/inverter/AC L & R, etc, so long as it's after you turn the Power on?

Edited by aleader

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

I wouldn't be too concerned about that Master Caution during the start sequence. In fact, you may even consider it a confirmation of a properly functioning warning system you're not likely to hear any other time. When the AC Gen L&R switches are in the ON position, either generator will come on line as soon as the engine spools up enough. At that point, it will come online and trip the APU Gen offline. ( The electrical system is redundant, like everything else, so one generator is sufficient to power the entire aircraft.) When the APU Gen is tripped offline, the system senses that the switch is in the ON position, but the generator isn't supplying any power to the bus. This is the condition that generates the Master Caution. You can either silence the Master Caution and shut off the APU Gen switch later in your checklist, or shut it off now and silence the alarm at the same time. That's what I do. I've tried at least 10 different Cold Start procedures and eventually distilled all I learned into one that works for me, but isn't exactly like any of the ones it's derived from. In all that study, the best advice I got was that there is no single right way to do it because there are so many ways that it can be done that work just fine. Some groups of items have to come at somewhat certain points in the procedure in order to proceed. Others may have to be performed pretty much together, but it doesn't make much difference if you do them early or late. When it's all said and done, you have a set list of tasks to accomplish. If at the end of this list, you have both engines running properly, all systems up & ready, no warnings, you understand how and why it all got that way AND you can do it again any time you need to, then you have arrived at YOUR proper Cold Start Proceedure. Once I started looking at it that way it really made things easier. I hope it helps you.

I wouldn't be too concerned about that Master Caution during the start sequence. In fact, you may even consider it a confirmation of a properly functioning warning system you're not likely to hear any other time. When the AC Gen L&R switches are in the ON position, either generator will come on line as soon as the engine spools up enough. At that point, it will come online and trip the APU Gen offline. ( The electrical system is redundant, like everything else, so one generator is sufficient to power the entire aircraft.) When the APU Gen is tripped offline, the system senses that the switch is in the ON position, but the generator isn't supplying any power to the bus. This is the condition that generates the Master Caution. You can either silence the Master Caution and shut off the APU Gen switch later in your checklist, or shut it off now and silence the alarm at the same time. That's what I do. I've tried at least 10 different Cold Start procedures and eventually distilled all I learned into one that works for me, but isn't exactly like any of the ones it's derived from. In all that study, the best advice I got was that there is no single right way to do it because there are so many ways that it can be done that work just fine. Some groups of items have to come at somewhat certain points in the procedure in order to proceed. Others may have to be performed pretty much together, but it doesn't make much difference if you do them early or late. When it's all said and done, you have a set list of tasks to accomplish. If at the end of this list, you have both engines running properly, all systems up & ready, no warnings, you understand how and why it all got that way AND you can do it again any time you need to, then you have arrived at YOUR proper Cold Start Proceedure. Once I started looking at it that way it really made things easier. I hope it helps you.

Yeah that pretty well sums it up. After I did the mission where you are playing the part of the Russian stealing the A-10C I learnt the quick way to get the Hog into the sky. :pilotfly:

Just for a laugh at my expense;

I've had the TMWH duo for longer than I can remember. Always had trouble with the startup sequence too.

Only a couple years ago I realised that you can lift the throttle levers up to pull them into the cut off area. So much easier!

I was by myself at the time and burst into hysterical laughter at such a simple oversight.

Then again, I think it was only last year that I discovered the nose wheel button doubles as the laser. Doh!

Now that I’ve been trying this for a few days, I think I found the fix to engines not starting properly with the TMWH...

Just make sure that when you start the sim, the throttles are in the idle position. After you’re in the cockpit, move them to the cutoff position, then start your engine start sequence. It doesn’t like when I load into the sim with throttles in the cutoff position. It’s been working 100% of the time since I started doing this.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Any movement will do. It's a little less effort if throttles are already above zero, as GTFreeFlyer says, but if you start with them already down in the cut off area, you just need to lift them, push forward and pull them back.

I try to do what GT is saying before loading in, but my memory and my self discipline were left at a bar somewhere in my 20's.

Just for a laugh at my expense;

I've had the TMWH duo for longer than I can remember. Always had trouble with the startup sequence too.

Only a couple years ago I realised that you can lift the throttle levers up to pull them into the cut off area. So much easier!

I was by myself at the time and burst into hysterical laughter at such a simple oversight.

Then again, I think it was only last year that I discovered the nose wheel button doubles as the laser. Doh!

That's so funny. It's often the simply things in life that cause us the most problems. :lol:

Any movement will do. It's a little less effort if throttles are already above zero, as GTFreeFlyer says, but if you start with them already down in the cut off area, you just need to lift them, push forward and pull them back.

I try to do what GT is saying before loading in, but my memory and my self discipline were left at a bar somewhere in my 20's.

Strange. I never ever had to do that: when I start DCS with the throttles in the cut-off position, it's also the setting in the game. Only thing that is NOT synced when I startup, is the position of the flaps regarding to the position of my TMWH flap selector. Always have to move the flap selector one notch up or down, and it's synced with the game. But throttle setting was always ok...

Ah yeah. There is a setting to sync controls which would alleviate the issue. Used that for a while. Forget what made me turn it off, must have been something I forgot to reset each time. Flaps is a very likely one. Now that I have the Logitech Switch Panel, all hell could break loose if I start airborne and everything is set to 'off'. (While I think of it, testing right now...and it's safe, only HOTAS controls are synced)

If you use the throttle in other games, the switches could be anywhere if you forget to reset them.

Still, it is worth trying it out for yourself. May reduce more frustration than it causes.

To turn this on, from main menu screen, go to: Options - Misc - "Synchronize Cockpit with HOTAS Controls at Mission Start"

(Haha, continued to fly the mission I loaded for the above testing. When I had a SAM launch at me and reached the thumb over for countermeasures, I realised I had forgotten to change flightsticks. Virpil stick has a button there, not the 4+1 of the TMWH)

Edited by Opy