TrackIR or VR? why?

One's view and experience with VR is a very subjective thing.

Everyone's takes on it will be somewhat different.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The 3D effect is so realistic that I was blown away, and the sacrifice in resolution and frame rates is worth it IMO. I occasionally find myself trying to lean against the canopy rail.

HAHA, I have to laugh because I experienced the same immersion. I was lowering the canopy on my F-18 and had my left hand resting on the arm rest of my chair and I jerked my hand out of the way because I instinctively thought the canopy was going to close on my hand. That's how real it is. I use a Lenovo Explorer WMR unit because I didn't want to spend tons of money and maybe not like it or have my computer not be able to run it. The Lenovo Explorer only cost me $118 on Amazon and it was the best thing I ever bought for DCS. I haven't used my TrackIR since. I can never go back.

just a lower end home use desktop I guess

Processor: AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C +8 3.5GHz

Ram is 12GB, 10.9 usable

64 bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 10

This system won't run DCS VR at any useable quality. In my opinion 1080ti or better is minimum. 1070 will run, but with great compromises in quality which only add to already poor resolution of current VR headsets.

We are at 1st generation of VR headsets. Not sure if there will be a 2nd gen anytime soon, because of poor adoption across the board, mainstream VR seems to be going the way of low powered standalone headsets/mobile phone extensions with exception of a very few super niche companies trying to develop high res headsets (which don't have any backup in gfx hardware at the moment, maybe next gen after 2080). The immersion is great (wow effect fades away after some hours though, so first contact "reviews" aren't that valid), so is 1:1 tracking but poor resolution/screen door effect and other compromises are there and very visible.

Outside DCS VR is quite fun - there are games which are made for it and they look/play great.

My opinion is (in DCS context) - if you have money get both, TrackIR and VR headset. If money is an issue VR is not something I'd consider.

ps. I have both and use 2D monitor more, but I'd miss VR if I didn't have it.

Edited by mdee

IMO VR is superior for the non -PVP experience. However, if you're into competitive online play where you'll be dogfighting other human opponents, TrackIR will bust a VR player's butt in most cases, and I'm happy to demonstrate this (I have owned and used several Vives, Rifts, Odyssey, Odyssey+ now, and a Pimax 5k, as well as been playing competitively with the trackIR system since it's inception).

VR doesn't simulate your eyeballs peripheral vision very well, which means in order for your eyes in VR to see airborne targets behind you in that cone of vulnerability, you have to turn around in your chair and look almost directly at them. With TrackIr this isn't the case, you can scale it and remain in your seat almost motionless with regards to your body, and only need slight head movements to look 360 around your aircraft, which makes a massive difference in the ability to rapidly, comfortably, accurately, and consistently put your eyes on threats, particularly in your rear quarters, hold them in visual contact, while simultaneously using your hotas controllers to maneuver with them.

Just my opinion, but most who fly competitively in this game or others against other online players will echo this, and again, I'm happy to demonstrate me in trackIR vs anyone in VR if they disagree.

VR does an exceptional job right now of creating an immersive feeling in flight, and I do much of my DCS time in the Odyssey+, Vive 2.0, and now in the near future my Pimax5k. When I'm going to be playing against other opponents online though, the VR comes off, and tir comes on, as I'm just far, far more effective in fighting with it for the reasons stated above.

If forced to pick just one, it'd likely go to VR as I just couldn't give up the immersion factor now, and I'd just be much slower/crappier at head 2 head.

Edited by Gman109

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I play DCS on a 27" 4k monitor at 120Hz and Gsync.

The graphical fidelity of this setup is without competition, VR simply can not replicate the feeling of actually seeing the beautiful details of the DCS world, airplane instruments.

With TrackIR and super high resolution, you get the feeling like you're actually in the sim, and not like you're looking through blurry tunnels with tons of visual aberrations.

Until we get super high res screens and performance to match (like with foveated rendering), VR is just not there to go all in yet (maybe Vive Pro Eye?). It's a fun little experience, but it just can't compare with 4k.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Again it is very subjective to the individual. VR is very much not a one size fits all, same as 4k gaming is not.

For me the best feeling of actually being in the game, comes from being in VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Definitely VR for experience, but be prepared to invest heavily in a high end machine. the incredible immersion makes up for any lack in resolution.

If budget is an issue, go for TrackIR.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I hear swivel chairs are nice for checking six in VR. I'm in obutto pit and the chair doesn't swivel, so I tend to have to lean as I turn my head to look behind me. I tend not to fly without friends these days lol.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Definitely VR for experience, but be prepared to invest heavily in a high end machine. the incredible immersion makes up for any lack in resolution.

If budget is an issue, go for TrackIR.

I'd say the opposite, if you're on a low budget, go with VR since you won't be able to get high resolution (4k) easily but you should be able to push pixels on the low resolution VR headset.

If you have the large enough budget, go with 4k @120hz, nothing comes close to the realism and immersion of crystal clear picture. It's like you're literally in a cockpit looking out over the Persian Gulf, it's amazing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The graphical fidelity of this setup is without competition, VR simply can not replicate the feeling of actually seeing the beautiful details of the DCS world, airplane instruments.

With TrackIR and super high resolution, you get the feeling like you're actually in the sim, and not like you're looking through blurry tunnels with tons of visual aberrations.

Until we get super high res screens and performance to match (like with foveated rendering), VR is just not there to go all in yet (maybe Vive Pro Eye?). It's a fun little experience, but it just can't compare with 4k.

Asus or Acer? I have 2 of the Asus PG27UQ myself right now, and have precisely the same opinion. The $ these monitors cost ($2000 CAD on sale during Black Friday and Boxing day) is worth it. As good as the prior 27 and 34" 1440p Gsync Alienware and Asus/Acer monitors I have are, these new ones with the very high nit/brightness levels along with the HDR, 4k, etc etc features....incredible.

Someday I hope VR headsets have the same resolution and quality, that'll be 5 years IMO, but worth the wait.

I hear swivel chairs are nice for checking six in VR. I'm in obutto pit and the chair doesn't swivel, so I tend to have to lean as I turn my head to look behind me. I tend not to fly without friends these days lol.
TBH they don't make that great of a difference in my experience. I have a few different "racing/gaming" chairs, DXRacer/etc types which swivel very well, yet try swiveling around while using your HOTAS accurately simultaneously. It can be done, sort of, but it's much, much slower than TrackIR, and much less accurate as well IMO.

If VR ever solves the peripheral vision thing, it'll be a huge step forward on this issue. Also I saw one guy who had a home pit with an actual Hornet (I think, it was some F series fighter anyway) partial cockpit with the handgrips up top on the rails, and when in VR he uses those just like in real life to help turn his body to look in the rear quarters. His demonstration of this looked like it work very effectively. I'll try and find the YT video of this and link it.

Edited by Gman109

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Asus or Acer? I have 2 of the Asus PG27UQ myself right now, and have precisely the same opinion. The $ these monitors cost ($2000 CAD on sale during Black Friday and Boxing day) is worth it. As good as the prior 27 and 34" 1440p Gsync Alienware and Asus/Acer monitors I have are, these new ones with the very high nit/brightness levels along with the HDR, 4k, etc etc features....incredible.

Someday I hope VR headsets have the same resolution and quality, that'll be 5 years IMO, but worth the wait.

I have the Asus, got it on sale for $1800, and then got another "employee relative" 35% discount, so a total $1170 including tax. :D

I'm hoping that HTC cranks up the pixel density on the Vive Pro Eye by 50%, so that with foveated rendering we get higher quality picture for about the same performance, and we might literally be just a few months away... I hope.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TBH they don't make that great of a difference in my experience. I have a few different "racing/gaming" chairs, DXRacer/etc types which swivel very well, yet try swiveling around while using your HOTAS accurately simultaneously. It can be done, sort of, but it's much, much slower than TrackIR, and much less accurate as well IMO.

If VR ever solves the peripheral vision thing, it'll be a huge step forward on this issue. Also I saw one guy who had a home pit with an actual Hornet (I think, it was some F series fighter anyway) partial cockpit with the handgrips up top on the rails, and when in VR he uses those just like in real life to help turn his body to look in the rear quarters. His demonstration of this looked like it work very effectively. I'll try and find the YT video of this and link it.

the FOV of the Pimax5k and 8k headsets might help with the peripheral. Idk. My answer is wingmates, or a trusted GCI. But it definitely feels like you got a pair of thick goggles on when you're trying to look over your shoulder.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I'm hoping that HTC cranks up the pixel density on the Vive Pro Eye by 50%, so that with foveated rendering we get higher quality picture for about the same performance, and we might literally be just a few months away... I hope.

Vive Cosmos "may" have higher res, in fact it absolutely will, it's just guarded intel right now with regards to how much. I think the Vive Pro Eye will have the same res as the Pro, just with the eye tracking. I'm hoping the Cosmos has much higher res too...

Systems

I used TrackIR for many years and I loved it. I remember it being a massive game changer for me. I have been using VR for about a year and a half and my TrackIR is gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere.

I got TrackIR out once, in the summer to see what it would be like to go back and it lasted a few minutes and went straight back to its dormant state.

VR is the future in flight simming. How long that takes for it to be the dominant interface I don't know. I know I am glad to be alive after 20 years of simulation to be able to witness it like it is. Even if we are essentially the first generation to do so. It's simply brilliant.

I used TrackIR for many years and I loved it. I remember it being a massive game changer for me. I have been using VR for about a year and a half and my TrackIR is gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere.

I got TrackIR out once, in the summer to see what it would be like to go back and it lasted a few minutes and went straight back to its dormant state.

VR is the future in flight simming. How long that takes for it to be the dominant interface I don't know. I know I am glad to be alive after 20 years of simulation to be able to witness it like it is. Even if we are essentially the first generation to do so. It's simply brilliant.

Yeah , those of us who have been flight-simming a long time are literally seeing dreams come true .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yeah , those of us who have been flight-simming a long time are literally seeing dreams come true .

:thumbup:

Very true!

Little warning about going VR though. It tends to make one spend some serious bucks on their rig...

:cry_2:

Don B

you got that right! This is what I always dreamed about.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

:thumbup:

Very true!

Little warning about going VR though. It tends to make one spend some serious bucks on their rig...

:cry_2:

I'm actually looking forward to that part :thumbup:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

While I like the way high-res DCS looks (and it looks nice). I gotta disagree on the immersion, you're in the sim thing, at least compared to VR. With VR you feel like you are there even if it looks not so good due to resolution issues, with a flat screen, you are flying looking at a flat screen even with TIR.

I think the future of all flight sims is gonna be VR. Once the resolution/performance issues are ironed out at least. And we get some better ways to interface with cockpits. But even Gen1 occulus is "ok" for me from a looks standpoint. And realistically once the ppd goes from the low teens to where it is now with gen1 to the 30's (hopefully gen2) that will be good enough (i.e. about double "ish" from where its at now). And from the 30's its another doubling of ppd to get to retinal level res.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

My vote , just delivered .

20190124_182923.thumb.jpg.0265393bc236a9b3c72871f82c3d7865.jpg

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

My vote , just delivered .

Sweet! we expect a detailed report there buddy! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Wait until you have your first crash in VR Bahahaha :music_whistling::D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Wait until you have your first crash in VR Bahahaha :music_whistling::D

oh my, remembered that! No worries SVsmokey, you're going to love it! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control