Improved FLIR Simulation

Wizard1393

Improved FLIR Simulation  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Improved FLIR Simulation

• Yes, targets are very hard to find against the terrain
    • No, keep it as is.

Maybe it is announced or not, (searched forums didn't find anything) will DCSW 2.5 have proper FLIR modeling in the new maps/theatres?

To be honest FLIR views in the TGP in the A-10C are pretty much useless now.

Trees are just as hot as vehicles and troops...

This is the dream...proper FLIR.

Edited by chrisofsweden

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it has been announced for 2.0, but it has been a long standing item on the wishlist. Unfortunately it is one that requires skinning of all vehicles in the game with a separate heat texture, which is a *massive* undertaking.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I don't think it has been announced for 2.0, but it has been a long standing item on the wishlist. Unfortunately it is one that requires skinning of all vehicles in the game with a separate heat texture, which is a *massive* undertaking.

latest?cb=20150729043615

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Well I wouldn't call it "useless" but I agree that some better FLIR modelling would be great. I asked Wags this question during one of his Q&A livestreams and he said that it is on the to-do list but we should not expect it with the initial release of 2.0. It will probably take a considerable effort to implement it and I suppose they have their hands full nowdays wrapping up EDGE+Nevada.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

• 2 weeks later...

Could it not be done via a transparent uv texture that isn't seen by the naked eye ingame.

I remember there are several layers of texture in another Sim game I use, one layer is a dirt layer which only shows after use. The texture is transparent to begin with.

Anything with a Rotary Wing is fun and challenging.

Use SRS radio.

Saitek X55 Modding

System Specs

Mixed Metals: i7 4790K@4.6, 32GB Kingston HyperX ram@2400Mhz, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, ASUS Vega 64, 3xSamsung SSD drives, FSP Aurum 1000W PSU, Custom watercooling with EK blocks, Vive, Virpil MT 50, X55 throttle.

I was just thinking out of the box on this one. We have multiple layer textures if we implement it right. Making a "human" transparent layer that it only visible through Flir should be possible..

Anything with a Rotary Wing is fun and challenging.

Use SRS radio.

Saitek X55 Modding

System Specs

Mixed Metals: i7 4790K@4.6, 32GB Kingston HyperX ram@2400Mhz, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, ASUS Vega 64, 3xSamsung SSD drives, FSP Aurum 1000W PSU, Custom watercooling with EK blocks, Vive, Virpil MT 50, X55 throttle.

• 2 months later...

That's a strange standpoint from ED. For their top products they have some sort of FLIR. Not being able to use it is strange but then commenting "guys it is on our to do list but do not expect an solution soon" is even stranger.

Martin Maaskant

FLIR in DCS A10C not working

I've seen a lot of reports about problems with the FLIR. I'm not talking about FPS drop but just that you can't make out any targets with the FLIR. I'm trying to pass mission 3 in the DLC campaign the enemy within and I understand what I have to do but I can't find targets with my TGP. A truck should light up like a Christmas tree when using a FLIR.

What I understand that (i'm not sure if this true or not) that ED is working on the problem with a low priority. i find this answer a bit strange, because you making a vital piece of equipment of one of your top modules useless.

I like to hear from ED what your plans are to solve this issue.

Martin Maaskant

I've seen a lot of reports about problems with the FLIR. I'm not talking about FPS drop but just that you can't make out any targets with the FLIR. I'm trying to pass mission 3 in the DLC campaign the enemy within and I understand what I have to do but I can't find targets with my TGP. A truck should light up like a Christmas tree when using a FLIR.

What I understand that (i'm not sure if this true or not) that ED is working on the problem with a low priority. i find this answer a bit strange, because you making a vital piece of equipment of one of your top modules useless.

I like to hear from ED what your plans are to solve this issue.

As Scaley says, working with contrast and brightness can help a lot, though it won't do any miracles. I agree it worked much better under 1.2, but the targets are still quite easy to find.

For the first group, just move your TGP directly north from the outpost, you will spot a few trucks in the closest village.

For the second tasking, you can always ask Uzi to pop smoke, it is much more visible under 1.5 even with MK-1 Eyeball than it was before. Helps a lot.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I agree it's terribly difficult to spot anything in the TGP in 1.5 right now.

I really hope this is going to get addressed soon, as it does indeed break existing missions and comes at a terrible timing regarding the Enemy Within campaign. So far I haven't heard anything in this regard, but I may have missed something.

Edit:

I agree it worked much better under 1.2, but the targets are still quite easy to find.

We must have a different understanding of the term "easy" :D

But yeah, so far in the campaign I was able to spot all targets, and most of them without looking too hard. Still I'd prefer it if ED made it easier (assuming that what we have now is unrealistic, which I think it is, without knowing for sure). I just hope there won't be situations where targets sit on an open field, which seems to be the best camouflage DCS have to offer right now :music_whistling:

Edited by Yurgon

@OP:

Having the same problems... really struggling to differentiate tanks/vehicles from surrounding objects. Attached a picture of a BTR-90 targeted. Thermal signature looks exactly the same as the trees and ground... almost as if I'm just viewing the same image but only in black and white.

2015-11-15_00001.thumb.jpg.c5add1c5caa2e9d7a9f11944f1fc5583.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I will be able to find the targets no doubt about that. It seems to me, as said by others, that the way the FLIR works is terribly unrealistic. I've seen footage of real FLIR's and then you can make out cars an people without any problem even if they are hiding behind trees. I personally found that the FLIR was not really good modeled in 1.2 but now in 1.5 Beta it is even worse. This makes me fear for DCS 2.0.

Martin Maaskant

Agreed, i mean if the ambient environment and vehicles and people all have their own temperature, i would assume it can't be that hard to achieve.

Then again i am not a programmer so ...

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

I think the lack of functional FLIR modeling is a key shortcoming of the DCS series. When I raised this question a few years back, I was told that this could only be addressed when the new engine would be released (2.0). And now that we have the alpha out, here's hoping something even remotely resembling FLIR will be eventually introduced.

Personally I do not think it helps to increase the contrast. Since the contrast of the landscape will also be increased.

My recommendation would be: Set the resolution of the MFD to a higher resolution in your Preferences. If you have not already done so.

It sometimes makes it easier to see the targets. Without it having look like a big pixel soup

Be aware that this has an impact on your FPS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

WIN 10, i7-2600K at 3.4ghz, 2x OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD RAID 0, Corsair Vengeance 16GB, Gainward GeForce GTX 590, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Track IR 5 PRO. DCS 1.5.3.52724.74 - DCS 2.0.2.52369

The terrain color in Nevada makes the FLIR work much better.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

This was never a bug and has been spoken about for years. FLIR is simply derived from the original textures placed under an effect. Yes it would be nice to have real FLIR, i'm not sure if it's fallen to the bottom of the wishlist because when i last contributed to a thread about it DCS World didn't even exist, it was merely A-10C as a standalone.

What I have noticed is that with the advent of new ground textures and vehicle textures and all the many other addons, the original design of using a graphics effect no longer holds as a useful effect. My folks especially moaned about visibility of ground vehicles on the Starway desert terrain which makes vehicles yellow too. I suspect the new graphics engine also changed the original design goal and thus we've drifted slighty from what's hoped for and maybe expected.

Given the A-10C or TGP pod is only used on one module which is out of beta and complete, there is even less recourse for action. I think ED is aware and generally if the products are workable there might not be changes. The best recourse would be to provide an un-ignorable volume of feedback, olr if Nevada or Hormuz break it even more.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *