TM Cougar sealed magnetoresistive/ hall sensor kits - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #41
Sokol1_br
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Re4ly

Why you don't make a version of this "pot" with KMZ-41 that have analog output and so can be used in original controllers of Cougar, CH's, Saitek's.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #42
rel4y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1_br View Post
Re4ly

Why you don't make a version of this "pot" with KMZ-41 that have analog output and so can be used in original controllers of Cougar, CH's, Saitek's.
I think you are confused Sokol. It does! It has completely analog outputs. It replaces the original sensors 1 to 1, pnp. So all my Cougar, CH and Saitek sensors can and should be used with the original controllers.

The only digitally communicating sensor is the TLE5011 in the Cougar Throttle sensor, that one can only communicate with my USB standalone adapter.

I just want to make new higher res boards for those who would like to upgrade their original 8 Bit controllers to 10 or 12 Bit.

PS: I have soldered up the orders of the last couple of days and should be able to ship by tomorrow evening. The two CH sensors are still available, so feel free to PM me.

Last edited by rel4y; 10-09-2018 at 09:29 PM.
rel4y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:56 AM   #43
rel4y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
OK, but would the magnets be fixed in this solution or I'd have to mount them myself?
Hey mate, I think I got something for you. I drew up a quick sketch of an analog hall sensor mod for the Cougar Throttle. This one is based on one of my earliest tries with the Cougar. Now as you may have realized I have a distinct antipathy for hall sensors, but here you go:

What you would need is an Allegro 1324 hall sensor and a 4x4mm neodymium magnet cube, best N52 or above. Calibration involves only moving the hall sensor on one axis, so it is already miles improved over these expensive Cougar hall sensor kits other people offer.
How far you insert the hall sensor in the slot sets your maximum range, the closer the larger the voltage range you can achieve. If you are going too close to the magnet you will actually lose range. So find the sweetspot or settle shortly before that and calibrate the last bit in Software. The latter is how the manufacturers do it. Finally put a piece of tape on the back to avoid shorting the hall sensor legs on the metal mount.

I will upload the sketch to Shapeways and you can order it. Full disclosure, I think it would work on the Cougar Joystick as well. So I may be cannibalizing my own sensors here somewhat. But if you like real precision work then go for my magnetoresistive kits. Believe me, the ball bearing MR sensors are a league of their own!

Last edited by rel4y; 10-10-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:23 AM   #44
Dudikoff

Great, thanks for your efforts, I'll check it out. As I said, I wouldn't mind the magnetoresistive kit, but as I only need it for the throttle (for the tick I already got used Uber and FSSB R1 gimbals) and as this kit is not compatible with the original electronics, it won't work with Target.
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by Dudikoff; 10-10-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #45
rel4y

Hey guys,
Sorry for not responding. I got food poisoning and was knocked out of action for a few days. I am just recovering, so Ill have to keep it on the slow side for a few days.

Here is the promised Throttle Hall sensor which doesnt require my standalone adapter, but you will have to buy two extra parts and calibrate it yourself. Just to make it clear again, except for the Cougar Throttle sensor all my other sensors are plug and play and work with the original controllers and software.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KT...shop-inventory

What you will need is a N52 (or above) 4mm cube magnet and an Allegro 1324 SIP hall sensor. You can find these on ebay or much cheaper somewhere else. In electronics stores you can usually get them for under 2$. However here are some ebay links for the lazy:

Allegro 1324 SIP hall sensor on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Allegro-Mic...NlBS:rk:1:pf:0

4mm cube N52 magnet on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Stron....c100505.m3226

Assembled it will look like this. Finally put a piece of tape on the back to avoid shorting the hall sensor legs on the metal mount.

Here is my current progress on the CH conversion PCBs. It turns out is incredibly difficult to measure the distance between hats precisely. What I did was basically trace the cutouts with a pencil, then mark their middle points and measure the distance with a caliper. If anybody has an idea on how to measure it more precisely please give me a hint. The plan is to install an ALPS analog stick as slew sensor (on the Gameport version) of the Throttle. The USB version does have an analog stick, albeit its not great. The second PCB is for converting a Combatstick into a Fighterstick. Dual trigger is coming as well, I already have a plan for it.

Last edited by rel4y; 10-16-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #46
Merkin

Default MR Sensor for CH throttle

I just installed this MR sensor https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...4&postcount=25
in my CH Throttle Pro to replace the crappy
analog one.
Although no experience in this field the
replacement was straight forward.
It is as announced "plug and play".
CH Manager recognized it right away,
so did DCS.

Cheers

ps: rel4y, recommend to introduce your
product on the CH Products forum.

Last edited by Merkin; 10-16-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Merkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:16 PM   #47
Sokol1_br
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Quote:
Originally Posted by rel4y View Post
I think you are confused Sokol. It does! It has completely analog outputs. It replaces the original sensors 1 to 1, pnp. So all my Cougar, CH and Saitek sensors can and should be used with the original controllers.

The only digitally communicating sensor is the TLE5011 in the Cougar Throttle sensor...
OK, but because the above guy want keep their TQS compatible with Tm software and you suggest TLE5011 plus USB adapter and not an analog output sensor ("pno" replacement) for TQS, what will solve their problem.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:23 PM   #48
Sajarov

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Merkin View Post
I just installed this MR sensor https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...4&postcount=25
analog one.
so did DCS.

Cheers

Spikes (jittering) in the Z axis is gone?

It 's a silly question, but that's the point to replace the pot so it must be clear.
Sajarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:48 PM   #49
rel4y

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Merkin View Post
analog one.
so did DCS.

Cheers

Thank you for posting your impressions mate! Will have a look at their forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1_br View Post
OK, but because the above guy want keep their TQS compatible with Tm software and you suggest TLE5011 plus USB adapter and not an analog output sensor ("pno" replacement) for TQS, what will solve their problem.
Yeah, but then I made this to solve the problem.

Like I said earlier I cant fit the PCB of the other sensors in the Throttle sensor mount, it is just too large. And making a new PCB layout solely for the Cougar Throttle is not going to be cost/time effective tbh. Maybe Ill do it in anyway in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajarov View Post
Spikes (jittering) in the Z axis is gone?

It 's a silly question, but that's the point to replace the pot so it must be clear.
It stopped the spiking for me at least.

Last edited by rel4y; 10-16-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:00 AM   #50
rel4y

At last I have finished the CH Throttle Slew sensor. The gameport CH Pro Throttle does not have an analog stick, so I made a nice slew stick in place of the index finger hat. However, theoretically that slew fits in all hat slots. I am really looking forward to this one. This is gonna be one big fat overhaul of my CH Pro Throttle.

Big shoutout to Deltaalphalima1 who send me the STEP file of the ALPS analog stick, without which I couldnt have modeled this.

Tags
cougar, hall, sensor, standalone, thrustmaster