TM Cougar sealed magnetoresistive/ hall sensor kits - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
rel4y

Default TM Cougar sealed magnetoresistive/ hall sensor kits

Hey guys,

After some time the analog pots of my very nice Thrustmaster Cougar started putting out erratic values and were spiking all over the place. These pots seem really cheap and even if there were still replacement parts from TM available, in my eyes it would not make much sense to replace them with the same low quality parts.

I have been tinkering with my idea of contactless sensors for the Cougar now for around a year and I think I am finally satisfied with what I got. These sensors are plug and play, fully sealed, make use of a ball bearing on the axle and use a N52 neodymium magnet for contactless angular measurement. The PCBs are only 14 x 20 mm (0.55 x 0.78 in) and were quite the hassle to make all the necessary ICs and SMD parts fit in. The housing is a two part SLS 3D print from Shapeways, which is a very tough material. I use it for all sorts of mechanical parts.

(Here you can find development pictures: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...er#Post4419858) I also plan on releasing the same sensors for CH and Saitek products as direct drop in replacements.

These sensors in reality are not hall sensors, but instead use next gen magnetoresistive sensors which are heavily used in the automotive industry and have basically replaced hall sensors there. The main advantages are higher sensitivity and actual angular measurement instead of only measuring the magnetic flux (as hall sensors do).

The same type of sensor is used eg in Baur BRD devices in form of MagRez or RAMS. These devices are known for their great precision and I wanted to make use of the same sensor in the Cougar.

Installation is as easy as stick it in, screw it tight, plug it in and done. You can calibrate them as you normally would via the Hotas Cougar Control Panel and the whole thing stays fully TARGET compatible as well.

Now enough talk, here are some pictures.

If you are interested just make a post or PM me.
PayPal is no problem, but I would have to charge you the fees.

Price: 42€ (set of two sensors) + 6.5€ tracked & insured international shipping (from experience shipping within Europe is around 1-3 days and to the US 10 days)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TM Cougar Throttle standalone USB adapter + digital contacless 14 Bit GMR sensor

I also have made a USB standalone adapter for the Cougar with a high res 14 Bit GMR TLE5011 digital sensor on the Throttle axis. This one is similar to the TUSBA, but half the price and with an added extension bay that supports extra shift registers, encoders, buttons, analog and digital axis. You can buy the USB standalone adapter without the new digital sensor and simply keep using the original pot. However you can not use the digital sensor without the USB adapter, as it communicates via a digital 6 pin serial protocol. I have been selling these on the german Craigslist/ ebay since April 2018 and people were really enthusiastic about their performance. Click here for a more extensive description. (link translated with google)

Price is 30€ and 15€ for the sensor + 6.5€ tracked & insured international shipping (obviously not necessary if combined with the sensor kit above)

TM Cougar Throttle hall sensor kit

I can now also offer a simpler Hall effect sensor kit for the Throttle. It consists of an Allegro 1324 hall sensor + cable and a 3D printed casing + N52 magnet. It is plug and play for the Throttle unit without my USB standalone adapter and similiar to older hall sensor kits for the Cougar. The difference is it requires no fancy mounts and is fixed in the correct position in two out of three axis for more precision. The third axis is dependent on magnet strength and can be hardware and or software calibrated. By hardware calibration I mean depth of insertion into the 3D printed case, nothing to it really.

Currently the mod is only compatible with the 5V mainboard version! The 5V and 3.8V versions differ in a resistor on the VCC line. Here you can check which version of the Throttle mainboard you have: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...&postcount=130

The solution to this problem is currently in production and will cost ~3€ extra: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...2&postcount=67

Price is 20€ + 6.5€ tracked & insured international shipping

CH Pro Throttle, CH Fighterstick, CH Combatstick, CH Pro Pedals etc. magnetoresistive sensors

The cool thing about these MR sensors is that they replace the standard CH pots 1 to 1, but contrary to them they work contactless. That means you can simply connect these sensors to your CH mainboard and done. You will never have to worry about deteriorating or dirty pots again. The CH Control Manager recognizes this sensor normally and you can calibrate it within the software.

Important installation instruction:
Spoiler:
For installation you can simply pinch the original crimp connectors a bit with a pair of pliers, but I always recommend soldering! Then just stick them ontop of the header pins and your good to go. Your wire colors will be different since this is a gameport CH Pro Throttle. On the sensor PCB the pins are labled as GND, OUT and VCC. For the USB CH Pro Throttle green = GND, yellow = OUT and blue = VCC.

Price is 20€ + 6.5€ tracked & insured international shipping

Last edited by rel4y; 03-05-2019 at 05:04 PM.
rel4y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #2
xoxen

Great development. Unfortunately I sold mine. But I have great respect for people like you helping others with cool things like this. Great.
Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z-97 Pro Gamer, 32 GB G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400, Asus GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Hotas Warthog with 7cm extension and Analog Slew Mod, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals
xoxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:19 PM   #3
rel4y

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxen View Post
Great development. Unfortunately I sold mine. But I have great respect for people like you helping others with cool things like this. Great.

Thank you for the kind words xoxen!
Old 09-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
Sokol1_br
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Rel4y

Great work!

An "PnP" potentiometer replacement.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
rel4y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1_br View Post
Rel4y

Great work!

An "PnP" potentiometer replacement.

Thank you Sokol. And also thanks for all the great help I got from you in the past! Your posts basically inspired me to make these things in the first place!
Old 09-26-2018, 08:27 PM   #6
The_Nephilim

Will these sensors give me Full Deflection on the stick ingame?? meaning will it go all the way to the left/right and up/down fully on the Stick ingame?

Last edited by The_Nephilim; 09-27-2018 at 12:06 AM.
The_Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:38 AM   #7
rel4y

Yes they will. The maximum deflection angle is hard coded in the PCB via a set of resistors. That is why there was some considerable effort involved in getting the values correct and for CH pots I have to use different resistor values eg. The trim pot on the back fine tunes the center point which is for every sensor a bit different because of slight variations in the magnetic plane or minimal variations in resistance. I do however use 1% rated resistors across the board.

With hall sensors you have the problem of getting the magnetic flux strong enough to reach gimbal limits, therefore you have to put the magnet very close to the sensor and generally have to use the most sensitive models anyway. Now a slight off axis setting will cause non linear readout and putting the magnet at the incorrect distance will not give full detection range. Not so with the magnetoresistive sensors.

Last edited by rel4y; 09-27-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:54 AM   #8
The_Nephilim

OK If possible can I reserve a set for myself.. I will be able to pay in about 13 days..

I will definitely buy them just need to know if you will hold a set for me until then..

Thank You
Nephilim'
Old 09-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #9
Dudikoff

Does the sensor fit the throttle and is compatible with stock electronics?
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #10
rel4y

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim View Post
OK If possible can I reserve a set for myself.. I will be able to pay in about 13 days..

I will definitely buy them just need to know if you will hold a set for me until then..

Thank You
Nephilim'
You are the same Nephilim from SimHQ, right? I will make another batch once the first is gone, so dont worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
Does the sensor fit the throttle and is compatible with stock electronics?
As shown in the pictures above the Throttle sensor directly replaces the potentiometer without any fancy mounts. But as it communicates via digital SPI protocol (6 wires), it only works with my USB standalone adapter. I thought about making a plug and play sensor for the Throttle as well, but since there is 3.3v and 5V version of the Throttle trouble is bound to happen sooner or later.

Tags
cougar, hall, sensor, standalone, thrustmaster