Aries Radio System

towsim

Hi Prinz,

a reworked version is already in the queue. The crash at the end was resolved in 1.22. Nevertheless, there is a synchronization error between Aries Radio and TeamSpeak Client. It causes Aries Radio sometimes to stay too long in a critical section object. Since all DCS export.lua extensions are chained, if one causes timing troubles, all others are affected.

I am working on it,

BOSSHOG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Rivvern

Please send the following protocol files from that session to support@ariescon.com:

C:\Program Files\TeamSpeak 3 Client\plugins\AriesRadio\AriesRadioLog_log.html,

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\AriesWings\AriesAirborneRadio_log.html

Regards,

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First i did a manual install as installer was giving me trouble.

Now i tried to reinstall with installer and it went through without error. Seems to work now.

Not sure if the logs are much use to you now. Ill check them later.

EDIT: Sorry. Logfile is reset.

Edited by Rivvern

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are looking for Swedish members!

http://www.masterarms.se

I am sorry for that. The upgrade to version 2.0 will have a configuration spread over a couple of pages. So the size of the window can be held small. But don't expect version 2.0 soon. The next will be 1.233 with some stability enhancements.

Regards

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Manual installation doesn't work, I'm afraid. When starting AriesConfigurator, it exits stating.

"The location of DCS World could not be determined. A configuration is not possible. Aborting the application..."

DCS is installed, by the DCS World installer, in a folder other than the default. The location is not modified since the install, so it matches that in the registry.

In other words, the prerequisite

Normal application folders mean, that the applications were installed with their normal installation programs. Even, if you select a special folder with the installation program.

The key is, that the registry entries, made by the installation programs, must point to the right application folder.

Abnormal application folders mean, moved to a different location, so that the registry entries do not match anymore.

is fulfilled, so I should really be able to use the normal automatic install? But that one exits with more or less the same error message.

Cheers,

/Fred

Please ensure, that AriesConfigurator.exe is started out of:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\AriesWings

or wherever the AriesWings folder was created by the installer. The program checks the local directory to find the corresponding .INI files. If started from a different folder it would show this message. But you should check first the registry for the DCS entries. It could be:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World

there should be a 'path' variable which shows the path to DCS World. If the path found does not match the actual path or the key was not found then the program checks the local directory with the name 'AriesWings'. If all that fails, the described message comes up. The attached ZIP file contains a configurator, which has an extended log file output. Please copy the ' AriesConfigurator.exe' to theAriesWings folder in DCS World. If you experience the error with the special configurator, please send the log file 'AriesConfigurator_log.html' to support@ariescon.com. You find the log file in the AriesWings folder.

When inspecting the registry, use extreme caution. Every manual change may impact your system stability.

Regards

Mike

PS

Make sure, that you use the 64 Bit RegEdit.exe for the registry.

AriesConfigurator.zip

Edited by towsim

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lo and behold! The key was there, but somehow the DCS World installer had failed to set the path value! It was set for the modules, but not for DCS World itself.

I set the path value manually, and of course the configuration tool works.

Thanks a lot!

I'll have a shot at the automatic installer as well, see if it can work with this now. Edit: Quick installer works. Good job!

Makes me wonder if anything else is amiss with my install. Perhaps I should do that clean reinstall after all...

Cheers,

Fred

Edited by effte

• 2 weeks later...

New Radio Version 1.234

Dear Aries Radio user,

Version 1.234 of Aries Airborne Radio is available as free download at http://ariescon.com/index10.html.

The following changes and enhancements were made:

• The shutdown sequence was reworked one more time to ensure a stable mission end.
  • The versions between LUAC and the Airborne Radio DLL is tested. If the versions do not match, a protocol file entry is initiated.
  • The new version is tested with the latest releases of DCS World and TeamSpeak.
  • TeamSpeak may be restarted during a running session. This avoids to restart the multiplayer session in case of a TeamSpeak crash.
  • It is now possible to change the TeamSpeak channel or server during a running mission.

The new version may be installed over the existing version in case of an upgrade. The existing configuration settings for the radio will be saved.

Before installing the new version, please consult the quick installation guide for details. For users, who had troubles with the windows installer, a new manual installer is available in parallel.

Have fun

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The crash at the end of a mission should be solved in version 1.234. DCS has shorten the time for cleaning up resources in a mod DLL. It could even be, that they never took care of mod DLLs. Nevertheless, if the time exceeds 30 ms, DCS will crash. So I decided to kill all my threads instead to end it controlled. For some installations this time seems still to be too long. I keep an eye on it.

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dear towsim,

First of all great job on this piece of software!

Our squadron went testing and found a small problem which I hopefully did not miss in one of these 14 pages.

When on the actual VHF AM panel when I dial the 9 from 129.000 to one position up, it should go to 120.000, which it does! However on the Aries GUI the frequency changes from 129.000 to 130.000 and not 120.000.

Then if I dial again plus 1 on the 0 from the VHF AM panel, the Aries GUI re-syncs itself by going to 121.000, which is perfect! However when I then go back on the VHF AM panel from 121.000 to 120.000 the Aries GUI displays 130.000 again!

Really weird by our book and hopefully you can fix it. Hopefully my story makes sense..

Kind regards,

Reaper

The bug is well known since DCS World version 1.2.6.17746. There is a increment / decrement problem in DCS. A lot of gamers reported this bug even without an installed Aries Radio. They complained, that the tanker frequencies cannot be dialed. They have to go 10 Mhz higher than the published frequency. Aries Radio does not evaluate the single digits. It takes the complete frequency from the box, which is delivered in Hz and calculates the 100, 10, 1 and the fraction digits from that number. Vice versa, to set a frequency, the entire value in Hz is given to the radio box. The DCS internal logic then sets the single digits.

What I checked out by protocol:

• VHF Box 1 is set to 129.000
  • The second turn button at the box is set from 9 to 0 (129.000 to 120.000)
  • The Box shows 120.000 which seems to be the expected value
  • But DCS internally sets the frequency to 130001568.0, which corresponds to 130.000 MHz, which is shown on the Aries Radio.

If I set the frequencies by the Aries Radio Panel :

• Decrement the third digit from 0 to 9 (130.000 to 129.000)
  • Aries Radio sends 129000000.0 Hz to DCS VHF Box1
  • DCS internally sets the frequency to 130001320.0 Hz

There is even no logic behind the DCS frequency evaluation. So I am not able to compensate this bug. I would expect DCS to repair the logic with the next update.

Regards

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

The current Aries Radio was successfully tested with TeamSpeak 3.0.13. Even a mix of older versions and the latest TeamSpeak Version work without problems. Nevertheless, a small limitation with TeamSpeak 3.0.13 seems to be an increase in package latency over the internet. It takes about 0.5 seconds until a voice package arrives at the receiver. This is a subjective observation. If someone experiences the same, please post your observations.

Regards

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

The Plugin doesn't read the Saved Games folder location in a flexible way, maybe with:

$HOME\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\Export.lua

but with the rigid and way less versatile

C:\User\.....\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\Export.lua

I have all the Documents folders, including Saved Games folder, moved to a second HDD, and the Plugin is not able to locate the Export.lua

There is a simple workaround for overcome this issue??

Edited by flanker0ne

The Plugin doesn't read the Saved Games folder location in a flexible way, maybe with:

$HOME\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\Export.lua

but with the rigid and way less versatile

C:\User\.....\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\Export.lua

I have all the Documents folders, including Saved Games folder, moved to a second HDD, and the Plugin is not able to locate the Export.lua

There is a simple workaround for overcome this issue??

Yeah, I ran into this problem and informed them about it but unfortunately they didn't seem very interested in changing it.

You could use a Symbolic Link from C:\User\... to the actual location of your Saved Games folder as a workaround. I find this software quite easy to use for that http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

It work, many many thanks!

You're very very welcome :)

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

I have a problem with my Aries:

when in cockpit, using the keys to activate PTT on uhf, vhf am or vhf fm are not triggered.

The yellow led of "radio selection" turns on, but the green one (the one thate shows radio traffic) do not work, and others cannot hear me.

Can you help me with this?

Issue for the Ka-50.

When the plug-in is active the function of the SPU-9 selector is altered.

it seems as if passing by have 4 to 5 positions, losing the ability to cycle backward (from VHF-2 to Crew)

An annoying sound (Trrrrrrrrrtrttrtrtrtrt) is reproduced in loop when the SPU-9 is in VHF-2 and sometimes in VHF-1

In both A-10C and Ka-50, the only way to turn on the green led is by pressing the Common PTT button.

I tried with both the installer and manual installation version of Aries, DCSW 1.2.6 update 2, TS3 3.0.12

Edited by flanker0ne

@flankerOne

At the moment we have to accept a known bug in DCS World. The frequency selection shifts the frequency by 10 MHz. If you hear the terrible sound then the resulting frequency set is outside the admissible range for Amplitude Modulation (AM) or Frequency Modulation (FM) , which causes the sound.

I just made the check for the radio selector and the PTT + select. The behavior is as intended in my DCS World version which is the latest published.

@OttoPus

I apologize, if I speak even about the simple thing, because I don't know your actual configuration.

Open the Airborne Radio configuration program (ARD icon)

The behavior of the PTT + select in the setup program depends of the definition of Common PTT. It is not possible to use 'Common PTT' and' PTT + select' together. If you want the PTT function together with the' box select', make sure, that Common PTT is not defined. Means, that there is no definition in the 'Button/Key' column for Common PTT. If there is one, press the 'arm' button of Common PTT. You will notice, that the definition disappears from the edit field. Unpress the 'arm' button to take over the deletion.

To be sure , that there is no misunderstanding, the select + PTT means, that you have to push and hold the selected device button as long as you speak.

If you still have troubles, please send the file DCS World\AriesWings\AriesAirborneRadio.ini to support@ariescon.com. I will check if there is a mismatch in there (even for FlankerOne).

Regards

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]