Dummies Guide for the “MonitorSetup.lua“ - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #21
PeterP
Veteran

Reputation power: 98
PeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8R View Post
@Peter,

A dummies guide that uses pictures and explanations is well done.
That being said, you asked for opinions, so I will offer some to help you help others...
Thanks!
Quote:
What you've done is really just the tip of the iceberg.
I know...
Quote:
I exhort you to think about going the
next level to applying HELIOS both for VGA and displayLinked USB (LCD) monitors. Ive
done this for both DCS-A10c and FalconBMS, so it can be done. Maybe these pictures will
inspire you and others...
I'm thinking about doing this.
... I will start some research.
- If you like: post some pics of DCS including the in-cockpit view and I will add them to the guide if you allow this .

Quote:
So yes, VGA main monitor plus USB monitors can be made to co-exist. Also, native sim
monitor extraction (be it DCS or BMS) can be used in conjunction with HELIOS or other
remote solutions like SPLASH XDISPLAY to display on an iPad for example.
Oh - I almost forgot - thanks for the reminder!

Serious : I wrote already big parts of the Helios part - and how to in-cooperate it in a mixed render-surface including a Virtual-display drivers and the native outputs of a GPU.
Well , all needs still a lot of polishing.

So:
Can you please tell me what was the hardest parts to do it with DCS - so I can check if I have included everything. -such kind of feed back would be really nice.

Last edited by PeterP; 07-04-2012 at 09:50 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #22
AV8R

Reputation power: 10
AV8R has a spectacular aura aboutAV8R has a spectacular aura aboutAV8R has a spectacular aura about

@Peter,

You want some A10c cockpit pics...
So here's some year old pics I made when I was doing this for DCS-A10c

Cockpit with MFDs

Cockpit with CDU as I was making work on an USB touch panel + Helios

What is not documented...
Helios is powerful but is poorly documented and thus presents a steep learning
curve for those not familiar with it and combining DCS' LUA scripts and Windows
display positioning. The whole display exportation and replication methodology
as it applies to our flight sim use is assumed and not handled well.
That's where you come in.

What I found difficult was creating an USB touch panel CDU...
The trick is to use Helios art that has a cutout for the CDU data rather than
using the screen replicator that is used to display MFDs. MFDs can be done
either with Helios software bezel and OSBs, or as I have done as LUA displayed
data plus TM Cougar MFD hardware with push button OSBs.

The other hurdle is getting Windows and the video card propeties to consistently
position and display the monitors exactly where Helios and DCS' LUAs expects them to be.
I know you are well aware of this and is what you've painstakingly wrote about.
It extremely frustrating to do when using 32 bit Vista and also throwing DisplayLink
into the mix. Then there s getting each monitor a black background so that the portions not
being displayed on don't show up as your Windows background.

Exporting from Falcon presents more challenges as its older software, but the latest BMS
coding and third party utilities make it possible to do what DCS does via LUAs. Helios
brings out the cockpit art with selectable button callbacks, to either sim. Too bad the
IL2 series didn't make it into these.

All the pictures are done via a single Q6600 computer with one nVidia
cheers

Last edited by AV8R; 07-04-2012 at 05:50 PM.
AV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #23
PeterP
Veteran

PeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8R View Post
@Peter,

You want some A10c cockpit pics...
So here's some year old pics I made when I was doing this for DCS-A10c
Thanks for the pics!

Can I use them ? - especially interested in the first :"Cockpit with MFDs" - as it shows the usual workspace of a desktop-pilot.

Quote:
It extremely frustrating to do when using 32 bit Vista and also throwing DisplayLink
into the mix. Then there s getting each monitor a black background so that the portions not
being displayed on don't show up as your Windows background.
Yeah - you telling me?

Spurious- you should upgrade to Win7-64 asap - it is alto easier to do such things .

and you should also have a look at SoftTH >>> as it can help immense to streamline your render-data and help to maintain a good fps in DCS.

Quote:
Enjoyed your cheeky responses, cheers
Well , at least you did understand it!
never mind.

-----------------------------
now something complete different:

This is how you render a black square inside DCS:
(check the negative width/height ...and it has no impact on FPS)

...and here is a example in which kind of setting it can be very useful:
>>>> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.ph...80#post1490580

Last edited by PeterP; 07-04-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #24
AV8R

AV8R has a spectacular aura aboutAV8R has a spectacular aura aboutAV8R has a spectacular aura about

@Peter,

Of course you can use my pics, that was my contribution to your effort. I would hardly think my
rig is representative of very many, but its a poor man's way to have individual MFDs and CDU or
ICP touch displays. Some would rather just put them on large VGA screens with soft OSBs or
even velcro attaching TM Bezels on to the monitor's screen itself. I would think the VipersPits
crew are likely to have individual monitors for each MFD like I did in some shape or form.

Regarding the blackout boxes...
Im not a fan of using the cockpit in a manner that doesn't look realistic, so they don't look good
to me. Just my opinion of course. That being said, I can imagine two uses for it that would be
beneficial:
a. An ATC role
b. RIO back seater or trainer mode

The Helios part of the equation is pretty poorly documented, so if you are a documentation guy
maybe you can write a section in your dummies guide to help others. It looks like you have
the main screen spread out on multiple monitors well thought out. Probably in my next PC I
will go that route when I have the horse power to run it all.

Remember, bring the hay off the loft down to the floor where it can be enjoyed by all. Thats
the goal of an applications note and good writer.

Cheers from Southern California

Old 07-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #25
AV8R

@Peter,

So SoftTH isnt just for "triple head to go" hardware configurations only...
In the dummies guide, it mentions this, but does not go further:
"SoftTH NEWS
– ain-sightoverviewaboutSofTH.SoftTHisdonation-wareandletyoudowhatthe big GPU company's don't allow you to do or only at high costs.
SoftTh let you render every monitor combination at High FPS in full-screen mode. You can even Mix SoftTH with AMD-Eyefinity and/or TH2GO,NVIDIA-Surround ! Especially interesting for DCS. -SoftTH let you use full-screen Mode If you export MDFS/ABRIS ect. on additional screens . You are not forced to use Windowed mode any more.
Even Helios is working with DCS in Fullscreen on all secondary heads. And Yes , it will gain your performance!"

these links get into the details, spread out in long customer support like threads (you've earne you right to be cheeky)
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=71710
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=69791&page=4
there's alot to read through in these threads, including what dlls you need and where they go.
Do you intent to augment your dummies guide's to condense this into one application's note, or is that for another
Not-so-dummies-guide follow on project? This would be what I'd be interested in.
It appears that SoftTH could be used to run any sim in full screen mode, as long as the sim has what to support it?

What do you think about Oates' CoordManipUlator script? (Have you tried it)
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...5&postcount=10

Last edited by AV8R; 07-05-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #26
neroroxxx

Reputation power: 9
neroroxxx is just really niceneroroxxx is just really niceneroroxxx is just really niceneroroxxx is just really niceneroroxxx is just really niceneroroxxx is just really niceneroroxxx is just really niceneroroxxx is just really niceneroroxxx is just really nice

PeterP your guide really helped me get started with a second monitor! Thank you very much!

27" iMac, 3.4GHz i7 Quad Core, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2Gb, Running Bootcamp, Windows 7 Home 64bit, Saitek X-52 Pro, Dell ST2220T with Helios and Loz profile.

neroroxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #27
Devrim
Veteran

Reputation power: 34
Devrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to all

Hi everyone and PeterP...

I play DCS World in 1680x1050 pixels and have nothing wrong with "Control Indicator".

When I switch to 3046 pixel for multi-monitor, Control Indicator moves in the middle of the main monitor (shown in atached image).

Have you got any idea and/or solution about this?
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_120812_025144.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	69317  

MY MODS | MY CONTROLLER PROFILE
Devrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #28
PeterP
Veteran

I don't have only a Idea - I wrote it already down...

link-list of the Guide page 17:
Quote:
Triple-head/Multi-Monitor GUI and NVG Fix
  • a “must read” for you
>>>How to move/resize the Controls Indicator:

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
OK, Pitbull- You are a lucky guy! - I had a some time on my hands for a deeper look - and I found the right triggers that are responsible for the placement of the control indicator in the cockpit-view.
(BTW : I took me only 7min to find the right lines.. be warned that will also change the position of the CTRL-Indicator in the "HUD-only" view")

... here we go:

First go to
DCS:BlackShark 1.1.1.1:
\DCS Black Shark 2\Scripts\Aircrafts\Ka-50\Cockpit\ControlsIndicator

DCS: A10C 1.1.1.1:
\DCS A-10C\Scripts\Aircrafts\A-10C\Cockpit\ControlsIndicator

than open
ControlsIndicator_page.lua
with a proper Editor (>>> Notepad++)

Than edit the size in line #14
>> local size = 0.15 -- 0.30 nearly doubles the width/height of the default one
and position in line #43
>> base.init_pos = {X-position,Y-position} -- both values can be decimal and negative

I made some quick testing and instead of posting lots of pictures that show nearly the same; I copied each different position into the same screen.

I made notes which values are used for each position.

Now you should know enough how to create your own desired spawn point of the CTRL-Indicator.
Keep in mind than you have to use different values on diffident resolutions
(...Up to now I not fully aware what exact logic triggers the spawn-point.
But up to now I can say that when moving the indicator (size 0.15) from x0 to x1 -it will equal 384 pixels and all values are bound to the centre of the XYjoystick position cross.).

See...

Its a whole different thing compared to moving the Radio-menu

Tip:

First set the wished Size - and than place it where you want it. - Because resizing it will change the relative position again , and you have to start over again.

...Please change the file path in the instruction above according DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Ka-50\Cockpit\Scripts\ControlsIndicator .

Last edited by PeterP; 08-12-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #29
Devrim
Veteran

Reputation power: 34
Devrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to allDevrim is a name known to all

Actually I read all of them. (Thank you again for all works). Ok, I can move the Control Indicators. But I'm afraid it goes to Mars when I switch to 1 monitor setup.

Thanks again. I'll struggle something.

MY MODS | MY CONTROLLER PROFILE
Devrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:48 AM   #30
PeterP
Veteran

try to use a relative value instead a absolute .
Like "screenwidth*0.2" (<< this is only a example!!! I don't know if this works -I didn't checked)

So the spawn point of the indicator window is always relative to your screen-size.

So that it should work on every monitor as long the control indicator isn't bigger than your screen.

I wish you a happy editing and please drop a post in the appropriate thread to share your findings - so others can benefit form it .

Last edited by PeterP; 08-12-2012 at 03:05 AM.