Q about failures.

dooom

Another thread in this forum started my thinking on this subject.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=50418

My question is this.

Jim Mack indicates on page 2 mission failures can include engines, hydraulics and stability controls.... Is that all we will ever see? While i appreciate that DCS Black Shark has such a level of high and working fidelity in its current build version - I hope that future patches and offerings are not off the table.

In particular - I would like to see electrical consequences from battle damage. i.e. ABRIS Failure, Radio Faure (thus Datalink) etc etc. I think it would add more immesion if i had to fall back upon either visual navigation or ADF/HSI approaches home, for example..... mind you, I have seen my schkval knocked out quite a few times... but nothing else.

Is this a realistic ask in terms of actual probability of things going wrong in battle?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Well, knocking out the ABRIS for example isn't all that likely to happen, since it isn't a dispersed system. It basically sits there in cockpit, talks to the sat receiver for positioning and can get some info back from the datalink. To take it out you basically need to nail the unit inside the cockpit, or kill it's power supply.

There's quite a few other systems that can be killed, though - you can lose your flare dispensers, your doppler ground radar (for altitude measurement) can get killed, your HUD can drop out due to damaged power lines and sucs, you can lose your pitots and statics and several such things. It's just that several of these failures are most likely to happen as a minor bother beside something a lot more serious simply due to their placement - something much more serious (like your hydraulics) will tend to get popped before most other things.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I think that's what he is asking. In other words, would a generator failure shed some non-essential avionics and would a dual generator failure shed even more? Are electrical failures or degradations even modeled in DCS? Personally, I'm satisfied with the current basic level of failure modeling but I can see how others would like more.

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

Yes, generator failure will cause some systems to lose power. Essentially it will be as if the generators were offline. (You'll lose your radar altimeter and a couple such systems.)

I don't believe a single lost generator will (I haven't tested that). I believe the setup is such that they are redundant.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/index.php?lang=en&end_pos=1630

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Hi,

I started a similar thread some time ago.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=43768

Back then, I couldn't manage to break the engines without anti-ice in icy conditions, but that problem was solved ;) .

Another important part for me was the system checking prior to start. I would love to see an indication lamp fail when checking them (or at least to know that it could happen). Otherwise, I get lazy and do not check lamps, since broken indication lamps are not modelled.

Bye, bfeld