AV-8B Status

Prowler111

On 1/28/2021 at 11:15 PM, Fri13 said:

Check the thread:

I just tested the Harrier at night. It is nearly impossible to fly and operate as FLIR is unusable if there is any burning objects in the FOV. and FLIR in HUD is useless, you see better without it at night in full moon, and the MFCD's are just useless as you can't really read anything - especially from the TPOD video if at Night mode. In Day mode you can see the text barely, but the TPOD video is just bright green.

Here is best I could get with TPOD FLIR WHOT when there was nothing burning:

You don't see any text really. The MFCD is unreadable. Only way to activate laser was knowledge that first to Arm it, then switch it from the TRNG to LASR and then press FIRE to get it going. To confirm that laser is firing I needed to check the HUD that L is flashing there.

Once the first target exploded, the screen turns like this, and it stays like that no matter where you really point it as long there is any fire in the FOV:

This has always been the case with high contrast subjects in the FLIR, esp when caused by fire, even in other planes like the Hornet.

Switch to CCD mode and play with the gain and contrast controls. I can't speak for the text, they appear quite clear on my screen even at night.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 1:10 AM, crispy12 said:

This has always been the case with high contrast subjects in the FLIR, esp when caused by fire, even in other planes like the Hornet.

This is not like with the Hornet, where you can just aim little off and you get again good picture. And the Hornet problem was more that you had smoke as opaque.

This is that whole display area is sensitive for anything heating up and it will render it bright.

On 1/30/2021 at 1:10 AM, crispy12 said:

Switch to CCD mode and play with the gain and contrast controls. I can't speak for the text, they appear quite clear on my screen even at night.

Can't really do so as the symbols are invisible as you can see on the screenshot. The only way to use CCD mode is to first have something burning there to generate enough light and then hope that other units are near that one. And then I need to eye ball the crosshair on target by just trying to place the slightly visible unit to center of the screen and hope that the automatic target lock would happen.

Switching to daytime mode the DDI gives some symbols to be visible but not really readable and that turns the DDI so bright that it is again difficult to see anything.

The problem is not really that the video feed turns brighter but symbols blends with everything and screen becomes just green big square in the cockpit.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

4 hours ago, Fri13 said:

This is not like with the Hornet, where you can just aim little off and you get again good picture. And the Hornet problem was more that you had smoke as opaque.

This is that whole display area is sensitive for anything heating up and it will render it bright.

Can't really do so as the symbols are invisible as you can see on the screenshot. The only way to use CCD mode is to first have something burning there to generate enough light and then hope that other units are near that one. And then I need to eye ball the crosshair on target by just trying to place the slightly visible unit to center of the screen and hope that the automatic target lock would happen.

Switching to daytime mode the DDI gives some symbols to be visible but not really readable and that turns the DDI so bright that it is again difficult to see anything.

The problem is not really that the video feed turns brighter but symbols blends with everything and screen becomes just green big square in the cockpit.

Yep the labels are a little messed up 

Hold sensor select right long to switch between CCD and FLIR
Press sensor select right short to toggle between BHT and  WHT

Not perfect answer but it works

1 hour ago, crispy12 said:

Yep the labels are a little messed up 

Hold sensor select right long to switch between CCD and FLIR
Press sensor select right short to toggle between BHT and  WHT

Not perfect answer but it works

As I already explained, FLIR is unusable. The CCD comes visible but unusable as symbols are not usable. It is literally then just trying to put the target center of the DDI and use it as targeting. Blindly pressing OSB to fire the laser and use the HUD to check that laser designation is active.

The AV-8B Harrier lost its more advanced night attack capability. That is the problem here as well than just readability to even fly at day time.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.