Getting into helicopters - Page 8 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-20-2020, 08:05 AM   #71
Headwarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
Here are my curves for the UH-1H Huey. Be aware I have cheap stick/throttle, but high end rudder pedals:

Collective-
Deadzone: 0
Sat x: 100
Sat y: 100
Curvature: -14
Slider: Check
YMMV but I don't like curves on my collective/throttle axes. Might be because the TMWH throttle has a longer throw than most setups I've used but I also just find more consistency in managing the collective with a linear axis as opposed to a different feel depending on whether my throttle was centered or towards the extremities. Came to the same conclusion with fixed wings, especially when attempting close formation or AAR. Just feels like I know more what to expect out of a given range of motion. Where when not using FFB, curves on a stick and rudder pedals are generally helpful.

Others may feel differently, but if you can manage a light touch.. worth checking into imo.

like I said ymmv.. nothing wrong with preferring curves if you prefer them.
Win 10 pro 64bit i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz (all cores) - EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3200 16CAS, 970 Evo 250Gb boot drive, 970 Evo Plus 1TB, pny 480gb sata 3 SSDx2, 4TB HDD - Acer Predator x34 (3440x1440@100hz), Samsung Odyssey WMR, - Peripherals = msffb2 for heli/prop planes, warthog (for jets), -Warthog throttle, Logitech G13, MFG Crosswinds
Headwarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:42 AM   #72
Passero

One thing I did notice with helicopters is that they don't seem that popular in squadrons. Many focus on the F18, F16, A-10C and they don't focus a lot on helis...

I've been in touch with a couple of groups and the message was always the same... On their servers they have missions that don't really include much for helis...

That won't stop me from flying them
Still working through the UN campaign with the Huey.
Passero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #73
Headwarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passero View Post
One thing I did notice with helicopters is that they don't seem that popular in squadrons. Many focus on the F18, F16, A-10C and they don't focus a lot on helis...

I've been in touch with a couple of groups and the message was always the same... On their servers they have missions that don't really include much for helis...

That won't stop me from flying them
Still working through the UN campaign with the Huey.
the DDCS server is the only server where I've personally flown the Ka-50 or the huey much at all. Mostly the Huey for slinging crates and deploying units. Though I did once get to fly out with several Ka-50's for some ground attack. Most of the MP action is about the fixed wings tho.
Win 10 pro 64bit i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz (all cores) - EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3200 16CAS, 970 Evo 250Gb boot drive, 970 Evo Plus 1TB, pny 480gb sata 3 SSDx2, 4TB HDD - Acer Predator x34 (3440x1440@100hz), Samsung Odyssey WMR, - Peripherals = msffb2 for heli/prop planes, warthog (for jets), -Warthog throttle, Logitech G13, MFG Crosswinds
Headwarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #74
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headwarp View Post
YMMV but I don't like curves on my collective/throttle axes. Might be because the TMWH throttle has a longer throw than most setups I've used but I also just find more consistency in managing the collective with a linear axis as opposed to a different feel depending on whether my throttle was centered or towards the extremities. Came to the same conclusion with fixed wings, especially when attempting close formation or AAR. Just feels like I know more what to expect out of a given range of motion. Where when not using FFB, curves on a stick and rudder pedals are generally helpful.

Others may feel differently, but if you can manage a light touch.. worth checking into imo.

like I said ymmv.. nothing wrong with preferring curves if you prefer them.
The negative curve makes the collective/throttle more responsive in the most important area IMO: down low.

M-2000C | F/A-18C | F-14B | Bf 109 K-4 | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | SA342
i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz | 32GB DDR4 RAM | RTX 2080
T16000M FCS | TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind.V2 Rudder Pedals
"Dialectic"
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:26 PM   #75
Blackjack_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
Well landing on the back on a ship is an extra step in your rotary wing advancement. I'm not a good teacher in this regard, but one trick is to come to a hover parallel to the landing pad (to the left or right of it) and then match the speed of the ship. Once you're in a comfortable slow speed , matching the ship, and at a low altitude, just shift over to the pad and touch down quickly.
That's pretty much how you land on a real ship...