[NO BUG] Wheel friction dry runway not causing Hornet to roll over - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 10:48 AM   #1
DanielNL
Veteran

Default [NO BUG] Wheel friction dry runway not causing Hornet to roll over

See video. (Sadly no trackfile, but I imagine it's easy to reproduce this bug, this isn't the first time I'm seeing this. Hope someone can reproduce.)

https://streamable.com/kik16g
Dell Visor WMR, Ryzen 5 3600 (6C/12T), RX 580 8GB
AV-8B VTOL-pilot, JF-17 AKG-A2A pilot, F-16C pilot, F-14 pilot - PvP campaigns since 2013
Old 09-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
AeriaGloria
Veteran

Obviously there’s differences but I went to compare this with the video of the Super Hornet doing a J turn at an air show. But I can’t find it anymore, internet is too big, must’ve been from 2006.

If you want to try and replicate it, they probably turned their anti lock breaks off, a lot of things become possible when your rear tires have no grip and are locked in place. I imagine such a thing might be possible up to a limit. There’s plenty of other modules with same behavior as long as ABS is off
Old 09-11-2020, 02:01 PM   #3
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielNL View Post
See video ... this isn't the first time I'm seeing this.
TL;DR:

This isn't really bug but a limitation of DCS's single figure runway/ground friction co-efficient.

What you are seeing is a Hornet landing on a "Damp" runway and skidding.

Detail:

If you compare the Hornet's braking distance in game, with the RL landing charts you'll see the runway friction, etc. has been modelled for a "damp" runway.

AFAIK DCS uses a single RCR value and doesn't take weather, temperature, etc. into account.

The impression I have from landing various aircraft in DCS is that ED tend to model "damp" runway conditions (dry -> damp -> wet), while other dev's i.e. Razbam might choose "dry" braking distances.

IMHO there isn't "really" a wrong RCR value as braking distance/RCR has a wide spread moving from "dry" to "wet" but I tend to prefer ED's interpretation as it punishes landing too fast or when grossly overweight.

It does however mean that ED's aircraft need longer landing distances and skid more in dry conditions than they would IRL.

YMMV.

Last edited by Ramsay; 09-11-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:04 AM   #4
squid509

thing that video dose not show
was anti skid on or off
how fast was he going when he made the turn
was NWS in hi or lo
what is the cross wind if there is any or haw bad it is

from just trying to eyeball it looks to me the runway is rather short and he tried to make the turn going too fast and spun out
and he landed with his speed brake out that is a indicator of an inexperienced pilot
Old 09-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

Without a track it is difficult to say for sure,

was anti skid on? what was the weight of the aircraft?

thanks
Windows 10 Pro x64, NVIDIA MSI RTX 2080Ti VENTUS GP, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3000, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, TM Warthog, Jet provost rudder pedals, VIVE Cosmos

Old 09-15-2020, 05:57 PM   #6
=Panther=

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeriaGloria View Post
Obviously there’s differences but I went to compare this with the video of the Super Hornet doing a J turn at an air show. But I can’t find it anymore, internet is too big, must’ve been from 2006.

If you want to try and replicate it, they probably turned their anti lock breaks off, a lot of things become possible when your rear tires have no grip and are locked in place. I imagine such a thing might be possible up to a limit. There’s plenty of other modules with same behavior as long as ABS is off
Maybe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66K8WXQvb90 This super blew the tire, which is a result of the spin. Although it looked almost identical to the DCS video above.

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
Spoiler:
Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP
Old 09-15-2020, 06:52 PM   #7
AeriaGloria
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Panther= View Post
Maybe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66K8WXQvb90 This super blew the tire, which is a result of the spin. Although it looked almost identical to the DCS video above.
Yup thanks!
Old 09-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #8
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

Quote:
Thanks for sharing, I would say that confirms this is not a bug.
Windows 10 Pro x64, NVIDIA MSI RTX 2080Ti VENTUS GP, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3000, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, TM Warthog, Jet provost rudder pedals, VIVE Cosmos

Old 09-16-2020, 08:10 PM   #9
DanielNL
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks!!! Nice, shows the plane pitching backwards and most likely damaging the engine nozzles in the back there :/ but blown tire aswell, meaning this bug-report should be renamed to "... not causing blown tire".
Dell Visor WMR, Ryzen 5 3600 (6C/12T), RX 580 8GB
AV-8B VTOL-pilot, JF-17 AKG-A2A pilot, F-16C pilot, F-14 pilot - PvP campaigns since 2013
Old 09-16-2020, 09:30 PM   #10
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielNL View Post
Thanks!!! Nice, shows the plane pitching backwards and most likely damaging the engine nozzles in the back there :/ but blown tire aswell, meaning this bug-report should be renamed to "... not causing blown tire".
We model as much as we can, burst tyres will happen at high speeds and heavy landings, I can ask as a feature request, but it would be very very low priority.

Personally I don't think it is worth the dev time, spin outs don't happen often and even if they do don't always result in a burst tyre.

Closed Thread