[NO BUG] Wheel friction dry runway not causing Hornet to roll over

D4n

See video. (Sadly no trackfile, but I imagine it's easy to reproduce this bug, this isn't the first time I'm seeing this. Hope someone can reproduce.)

https://streamable.com/kik16g

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Obviously there’s differences but I went to compare this with the video of the Super Hornet doing a J turn at an air show. But I can’t find it anymore, internet is too big, must’ve been from 2006.

If you want to try and replicate it, they probably turned their anti lock breaks off, a lot of things become possible when your rear tires have no grip and are locked in place. I imagine such a thing might be possible up to a limit. There’s plenty of other modules with same behavior as long as ABS is off

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

See video ... this isn't the first time I'm seeing this.

TL;DR:

This isn't really bug but a limitation of DCS's single figure runway/ground friction co-efficient.

What you are seeing is a Hornet landing on a "Damp" runway and skidding.

Detail:

If you compare the Hornet's braking distance in game, with the RL landing charts you'll see the runway friction, etc. has been modelled for a "damp" runway.

AFAIK DCS uses a single RCR value and doesn't take weather, temperature, etc. into account.

The impression I have from landing various aircraft in DCS is that ED tend to model "damp" runway conditions (dry -> damp -> wet), while other dev's i.e. Razbam might choose "dry" braking distances.

IMHO there isn't "really" a wrong RCR value as braking distance/RCR has a wide spread moving from "dry" to "wet" but I tend to prefer ED's interpretation as it punishes landing too fast or when grossly overweight.

It does however mean that ED's aircraft need longer landing distances and skid more in dry conditions than they would IRL.

YMMV.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

thing that video dose not show

was anti skid on or off

how fast was he going when he made the turn

was NWS in hi or lo

what is the cross wind if there is any or haw bad it is

from just trying to eyeball it looks to me the runway is rather short and he tried to make the turn going too fast and spun out

and he landed with his speed brake out that is a indicator of an inexperienced pilot

• ED Team

Without a track it is difficult to say for sure,

was anti skid on? what was the weight of the aircraft?

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Obviously there’s differences but I went to compare this with the video of the Super Hornet doing a J turn at an air show. But I can’t find it anymore, internet is too big, must’ve been from 2006.

If you want to try and replicate it, they probably turned their anti lock breaks off, a lot of things become possible when your rear tires have no grip and are locked in place. I imagine such a thing might be possible up to a limit. There’s plenty of other modules with same behavior as long as ABS is off

Maybe

This super blew the tire, which is a result of the spin. Although it looked almost identical to the DCS video above.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

• ED Team
Maybe
This super blew the tire, which is a result of the spin. Although it looked almost identical to the DCS video above.

Thanks for sharing, I would say that confirms this is not a bug. :thumbup:

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Maybe

Thanks!!! Nice, shows the plane pitching backwards and most likely damaging the engine nozzles in the back there :/ but blown tire aswell, meaning this bug-report should be renamed to "... not causing blown tire".

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

• ED Team
Thanks!!! Nice, shows the plane pitching backwards and most likely damaging the engine nozzles in the back there :/ but blown tire aswell, meaning this bug-report should be renamed to "... not causing blown tire".

We model as much as we can, burst tyres will happen at high speeds and heavy landings, I can ask as a feature request, but it would be very very low priority.

Personally I don't think it is worth the dev time, spin outs don't happen often and even if they do don't always result in a burst tyre.