Will the AV8B N/A be able to Taxi and Take Off from Unprepared Surfaces

SUNTSAG

Hi All,

I know the AV8B N/A will have the ability to be placed on the map as take off from ground and take off from ground hot, an option currently available to helos but will it be able to taxi an take off from anything but Roads/Taxiways and Runways?

I know that if any aircraft currently deviates from a prepared surface, it will become bogged down and immoveable. I am hoping this will not apply to the AV8B but could someone please confirm? Many thanks.

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great question.......I spent some time testing the Viggen and found most roads on Caucasus map were good with the exception of the small bridges.

Nevada was similar on flat terrain. Landing on mountains tends to have clipping issues for me...(crashing or getting stuck) Can't wait to hear the results...

School

You can add the Harrier as ground hot and ground start, just like a helo, whether the surface you stick it on Allows it to roll is another story, probably depends on the surface

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Hi Jabbers,

I would really appreciate it if you could test both an RVTO (Rolling Vertical Take Off) and STO (Short Take Off) from unprepared ground and provide feedback please? I mention these two methods specifically as they are SOPs for field based operations. Thanks in advance if this is possible. Cheers.

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If it can be spawned at a FARP I'm good

Can't see why not:

CX413jWWYAA_DKA.jpg

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Hi Jabbers,

I would really appreciate it if you could test both an RVTO (Rolling Vertical Take Off) and STO (Short Take Off) from unprepared ground and provide feedback please? I mention these two methods specifically as they are SOPs for field based operations. Thanks in advance if this is possible. Cheers.

Pretty sure the RVTO was just done in MUDSPIKES video that released today, but sure, as for STO I kinda did this already, but can probably do again.

I am curious, why do you need a video of this? To prove that ti works (I doubt it is this, since we can assume it does), or just to see it, you wanna learn it? I just don't see the appeal personally for this demonstration, not that I wont oblige given the appropriate time to make it.

Would like to see you attempt it in a video, From a farp as a request?

Ya perhaps whatever the next video I do is, I can just start at a farp

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

To be honest Jabbers I wasn't contemplating a video, I know Coxy was regarding the FARP scenario.

I wanted the RVTO and STO from unprepared ground testing and not a runway, road or taxiway, which I believe have been shown in the videos I have watched....but if you want to throw in the tests from unprepared ground with the take off from a FARP video that would be a bonus for me and much appreciated. Thanks.

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To be honest Jabbers I wasn't contemplating a video, I know Coxy was regarding the FARP scenario.

I wanted the RVTO and STO from unprepared ground testing and not a runway, road or taxiway, which I believe have been shown in the videos I have watched....but if you want to throw in the tests from unprepared ground with the take off from a FARP video that would be a bonus for me and much appreciated. Thanks.

I have a new idea for a video, so if i do it, maybe ill start next to a farp

Hi All,

Bearing in mind the lack of response to the question thus far, I will have to presume that despite the AV8B enjoying the ability to be placed on the ground in the ME at mission start (which is a distinct plus) that it is actually unable to RVTO or STO from unprepared ground.

It is disappointing that this appears to be the case otherwise a tester would have answered the question directly by now, particularly as a number of questions have already been answered. I also realise that this will not be down to RAZBAM to implement but more of an ED issue to resolve.

So based on that particular premise it would suggest that the AV8B is almost ready for DCS but DCS is not completely ready for the AV8B. It therefore begs the following question "can we expect this functionality moving forward"? I look forward to the response. Many thanks.

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi All,

Bearing in mind the lack of response to the question thus far, I will have to presume that despite the AV8B enjoying the ability to be placed on the ground in the ME at mission start (which is a distinct plus) that it is actually unable to RVTO or STO from unprepared ground.

It is disappointing that this appears to be the case otherwise a tester would have answered the question directly by now, particularly as a number of questions have already been answered. I also realise that this will not be down to RAZBAM to implement but more of an ED issue to resolve.

So based on that particular premise it would suggest that the AV8B is almost ready for DCS but DCS is not completely ready for the AV8B. It therefore begs the following question "can we expect this functionality moving forward"? I look forward to the response. Many thanks.

I actually havent answered this cause I havent had time to test it.

• ED Team
Hi All,

As tester's we can not always answer questions due to NDA. If a streamer with a preview build gets time to try that is great.

I will say during testing I have landed, rearmed and refuelled at a FARP, and then left the FARP with a short take off.

Hope that partially answers your query.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

As tester's we can not always answer questions due to NDA. If a streamer with a preview build gets time to try that is great.

I will say during testing I have landed, rearmed and refuelled at a FARP, and then left the FARP with a short take off.

Hope that partially answers your query.

I can appreciate how the original poster is frustrated considering the simple nature of his question, but nobody can answer straight forward. Either rolling on grass will destroy the landing gear like other modules, or it wont. Either way we will find out in Two More Weeks.

To be fair Jabbers this question wasn't specifically aimed at you as there are a number of ED Testers in the forums and any one of them could have responded.

For me and I can only speak for myself here...... I personally consider this to be airframe specific core functionality but I also realise some may disagree with that statement and that's fine. I would have thought if this option was available it would have been tested by now along with the autopilot VR and the NVGs to mention a few of the questions that have been raised and answered so far.

Let me be the first to confirm that I would be only too happy to be proven wrong in my assumption/presumption, raised in my earlier post. Thank you for taking the time to respond, it is appreciated.

PS. I have just noticed further posts as I write this so I will post this and catch up. Thank you.

• Like 1

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
I can appreciate how the original poster is frustrated considering the simple nature of his question, but nobody can answer straight forward. Either rolling on grass will destroy the landing gear like other modules, or it wont. Either way we will find out in Two More Weeks.

Yes I understand, and to clear things up for the OP, generally testers are not allowed to divulge any information about testing or unreleased features without prior consent from ED.

All information is given in news letters when ED are ready or occasionally by the devs themselves.

Hope that will save any future frustration about testers not replying regarding unreleased features.

• Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@SUNTSAG I know it wasnt directed at me, Posting here (on the forums) is tough as BIGNEWY has pointed out. I do have an NDA to respect, and I take that very seriously. I also need to fact check things I since I do not only test on the early access build I was given but on internal builds as well, and due to this I need to be careful of what I say works and doesnt work. Sometimes its just better to stay quiet ;)

I may get a chance to test this tomorrow in the early access build, if I do I will report back here. Otherwise, release seems to be around the corner, so not much time to wait to find out for yourself anyway.

Hi All,

When I left the RAF having served 11 years (some of those years with the Harrier force)... I moved into Sales and Marketing where I have been gainfully employed for the last twenty years. So I am fully conversant with NDAs from both sides of the coin (being subject to them and putting them together). Therefore I do understand and appreciate your position.

What continues to astound me is EDs Lack of commitment to allow you to respond during what is clearly the key marketing phase of a new module release. You are allowed to comment upon what Razbam are working on and fixing, following testing but not what ED is doing to accommodate the new module.

So as it currently stands I do not know if this ability will ever be available in DCS moving forward and for me (and I can only speak for myself here) it has a significant impact on my early access and longer term purchasing decision. I know it will not be the same for others and I can appreciate their position but this is a real concern for me. Don't worry I am not expecting things to change by making this post but I felt it needed to be said.

Please note this is not a rant just an opinion coupled with an expression of disappointment. Thank you to all those that took the time to respond to this thread. :thumbup:

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Lets not get offtopic discussing ED policy with tester NDA's, it is what it is.

I have been testing the unprepared surfaces with the Harrier, specifically on grass, weight is a huge factor of course, but it is possible.

There is work still going on around this feature so I wont say anymore, we only have another week to wait for early access so expect more open discussion then from us testers.

Edited by BIGNEWY

• ED Team
EDs Lack of commitment to allow you to respond during what is clearly the key marketing phase of a new module release.

Just to add another point to this, these modules either from ED or from 3rd Party have producers, these people are the ones that decide to release info and when it is released. ED Test team are there only to help test and document bugs for ED, They don't know what features are being worked on, the status of features being added or the timeline of such things. The fact that the Harrier isnt even released yet makes it more important that a number of people dont chatter about this module beyond the lead on this product.

Once the module is released, and bugs are reported from the public, Testers can comment on whether or not things are reported, etc. No tester wants to step on Zeus' toes and give out some misinformation by accident.

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png