Possibly visiting Pheonix Az in Jan - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-20-2017, 01:54 AM   #1
Cap'n kamikaze

Reputation power: 5
Cap'n kamikaze has a spectacular aura aboutCap'n kamikaze has a spectacular aura aboutCap'n kamikaze has a spectacular aura aboutCap'n kamikaze has a spectacular aura about
Default Possibly visiting Pheonix Az in Jan

As the title says, possibly visiting in Jan, bringing jobs to America, and while I'm there I plan to go have a look at Luke AFB, is there any good spots to watch from?
Cap'n kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:55 AM   #2
javelina1

Reputation power: 20
javelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to AZ! I don't live on the west side, but I know a few folks from that part of town can pipe in as to where to watch the "birds". (I'm over in the east, near the former WAFB).

Is this your first visit to Phoenix?

Gigabyte Z87-HD3, i5-4670K O/C 4.2ghz, NH-U12S cooler, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1080 SC, SoundBlaster Z sound card, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 2x 256GB Samsung SSD, 1x 500GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudders, TM MFD's, Enermax Case, 39" Samsung HDTV, 21.5" Acer VT220 touchscreen (for Helios & Ikarus), TrackIR5, JetSeat KW-908, Oculus Rift CV1
javelina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #3
Cap'n kamikaze

Cap'n kamikaze has a spectacular aura aboutCap'n kamikaze has a spectacular aura aboutCap'n kamikaze has a spectacular aura aboutCap'n kamikaze has a spectacular aura about

Yeah first visit, it's a working trip, helping set up a new factory, if I have time I was going to see if I could get to Luke for a couple of hours.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
javelina1

Reputation power: 20
javelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of light

if you have some time to kill, take a little drive down south:

http://www.pimaair.org/

Davis-Monthan is nearby, I'm sure you'll see some 'Hawg's buzzing by... :-)

Gigabyte Z87-HD3, i5-4670K O/C 4.2ghz, NH-U12S cooler, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1080 SC, SoundBlaster Z sound card, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 2x 256GB Samsung SSD, 1x 500GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudders, TM MFD's, Enermax Case, 39" Samsung HDTV, 21.5" Acer VT220 touchscreen (for Helios & Ikarus), TrackIR5, JetSeat KW-908, Oculus Rift CV1
javelina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:08 PM   #5
Cap'n kamikaze

Thanks, sounds like a good place to go.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:51 PM   #6
Harry.R

Reputation power: 10
Harry.R is a jewel in the roughHarry.R is a jewel in the roughHarry.R is a jewel in the roughHarry.R is a jewel in the roughHarry.R is a jewel in the roughHarry.R is a jewel in the rough

You can get to one end of the runway at Luke for approach shots. Check out the CAF museum at Falcon field, they usually have their B17 flying daily.
Harry.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
Cap'n kamikaze

I had a look on google maps, I think I know where you mean, there's a road right along the southern boundary, near the approach, is that it?
Old 10-24-2017, 04:09 PM   #8
ST0RM

Reputation power: 8
ST0RM is a jewel in the roughST0RM is a jewel in the roughST0RM is a jewel in the roughST0RM is a jewel in the roughST0RM is a jewel in the roughST0RM is a jewel in the roughST0RM is a jewel in the rough

To answer the OP's actual question, check this page out. Using Steve's guide, I've gotten great shots and views during my visits to Luke. Just stay out of the fields. Some Dutch spotters/photogs were careless and got the land owners angry. So that is now off limits.

http://aviationphotodigest.com/wp-co...OG-ver-1.2.pdf

ST0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:19 AM   #9
Cap'n kamikaze

Thanks Storm