Identifying aircraft

Warkip

I have a oculus rift but when i fly ww2 i cant identify aircraft till im right on top of them, this is kinda a big problem for ww2 online server. Does annyone know a good workaround?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Turn on labels. Until we get higher FPS (to get rid of the ghosting) that's about the only thing that can be done. VR zoom can also help a little but it's pretty limited.

The labels LUA file can be edited to only show within a certain range and to only resolve IFF at a certain range as well I believe. So it can be made to work somewhat realistically.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

Turn down your PD in DCS. The higher the PD (super sampling), the smaller the the objects at distance become. Unfortunately that's the only solution. For the CV1 1.7 PD is as high as I'll go and I can spot aircraft up to about 6 miles. YMMV

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Turn down your PD in DCS. The higher the PD (super sampling), the smaller the the objects at distance become. Unfortunately that's the only solution. For the CV1 1.7 PD is as high as I'll go and I can spot aircraft up to about 6 miles. YMMV

That might help with spotting the enemy, won't help identification in the slightest.

The only current solution is labels, and the most well known WW2 server doesn't use coloured labels, meaning that that don't help IDing the aircraft in the slightest.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Bind VR Zoom in the controls setting..

If only it was anything like close to what's available to monitor users...

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

That might help with spotting the enemy, won't help identification in the slightest.

The only current solution is labels, and the most well known WW2 server doesn't use coloured labels, meaning that that don't help IDing the aircraft in the slightest.

i missed the WW2 part. Good luck.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I have a oculus rift but when i fly ww2 i cant identify aircraft till im right on top of them, this is kinda a big problem for ww2 online server. Does annyone know a good workaround?

Can you give me a specific example? I'll recreate it in my Reverb and report back? Can you give me some sample BRAA and equipment?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Go have a scan on the Burning skies server. Let us know what range you think you're at when you're able to identify (NOT spot) an aircraft.

Go have a scan on the Burning skies server. Let us know what range you think you're at when you're able to identify (NOT spot) an aircraft.
Thats where i tried to fly with the ocules, but i really needed to be right on top of them to identify them, i think its around the distance from where you normaly shoot, or maybe even a bit closer

Can you give me a specific example? I'll recreate it in my Reverb and report back? Can you give me some sample BRAA and equipment?
What do you mean with BRAA?

I fly with a ryzen 5 and a gtx 1070 8gb, so not on the highest settings, alto its more that there just arent enough pixels to display enough to properly identify an aircraft.

Mostly i still fly on my monitor, but when i thied my oculus on The burnng sky server, i just couldnt identify aircraft till i was already good in shooting range.

Spotting wasnt anny problem tho

What do you mean with BRAA?

I fly with a ryzen 5 and a gtx 1070 8gb, so not on the highest settings, alto its more that there just arent enough pixels to display enough to properly identify an aircraft.

Mostly i still fly on my monitor, but when i thied my oculus on The burnng sky server, i just couldnt identify aircraft till i was already good in shooting range.

Spotting wasnt anny problem tho

I thought it was an instant action mission. I didn't know you were playing on the Burning Sky server. BRAA is - Bearing / Range / Altitude / Aspect. I was just curious what distance you had trouble identifying the target. I know you don't have a radar in WWII birds.

I guess the best thing to test is to create a mission with different WWII birds at various distance to see if I can identify the aircraft.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thats where i tried to fly with the ocules, but i really needed to be right on top of them to identify them, i think its around the distance from where you normaly shoot, or maybe even a bit closer

You're not alone.

I have the same issue and have tried making this point a number of times in the last year or so.

Spotting is NOT an issue in VR. Identification is a MASSIVE issue, and is miles adrift from what is possible for monitor users with their telescope level zoom.

It's not helped by the fact that the Dot labels were updated a little while ago, making them more difficult to change.

You're not alone.

I have the same issue and have tried making this point a number of times in the last year or so.

Spotting is NOT an issue in VR. Identification is a MASSIVE issue, and is miles adrift from what is possible for monitor users with their telescope level zoom.

It's not helped by the fact that the Dot labels were updated a little while ago, making them more difficult to change.

Have you tried VR Zoom?

Have you tried VR Zoom?

Yes of course, and it’s MUCH less effective than with a monitor. Hence my concern, gives a significant advantage to monitor users.

VR users went that route for its own significant advantages over monitors, most even knowing about the tradeoff in visibility due to the resolution issues. Sounds like a case of "Eating your cake and having it too....."

There is only so much that can be done with low resolution to provide details.

VR users went that route for its own significant advantages over monitors, most even knowing about the tradeoff in visibility due to the resolution issues. Sounds like a case of "Eating your cake and having it too....."

There is only so much that can be done with low resolution to provide details.

I've got to ask, are you a VR user? My guess is no.