Opinions on the A-8?

MobiSev

What does everyone think about the A8 now that it has been released? I'm thinking about picking it up. Is it worth a buy?

Side question: How does it compare to the other WW2 planes that have been released in terms of capability?

Edited by MobiSev

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

2D: Textures look good

3D: Model is nicer than the others, with exception on that one obvious heavily discussed bar

Physics: Feels good as usual, kind of.

Combat: A bit more challenging but nice.

Worth a buy? If you are interested in german planes/ground attackers sure, go for it.

Bar is a terrible way to describe it, as it will only confuse people. The bottom edge of the armored glass is not transparent (and refracting light like it should), so it is blocking the view ahead of the gunsight partially. It isn't much hindrance at all though, and doesn't make it any less capable of an aircraft.

It's the latest warbird, so it has been done with the latest technology. Visually, it's one of the best looking aircraft currently. Textures and model are well done, as is the normal mapping. It is a new plane though, so it does have its bugs, but they really don't take away from the experience a lot. It handles like a school bus at low speeds, so you have to be fast. The armament is very heavy on the plane, and its victims. It will pulverize anything that crosses the gunsight. Of course, this makes it a particularly effective aircraft for ground attack. It's honestly a wonderful plane.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

... I'm thinking about picking it up. Is it worth a buy?

I'm thinking about it too .. but I dont like that it cames with too little content: No included campaign, the training is very basic with just 4 missions ... and it only includes like 3 liveries

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Side question: How does it compare to the other WW2 planes that have been released in terms of capability?

I like it so far. Power to weight ratio is a bit lower than the D-9, so its a bit slower.

But it is the most armored WW2 plane we have in DCS right now, and short of getting the IL-2 that will stay that way.

It has good firepower and its amazing in a dive. It can keep its maneuverbility up to very high speeds. Making it great for diving attacks since it can still maneuver and aim at targets quite well at very high speeds.

Its not good at slow speed turning though.

Worth a buy? If you are interested in german planes/ground attackers sure, go for it.

I'm guessing by "ground attackers", you mean strafing ground targets with guns?

In terms of bombs, the A-8 only carries an SC250... while the K-4 and D-9 can each carry an SC500. The D-9 also has R4M rockets. Or BR21 rockets. Or the option of 4 x SC50.

I'm thinking about it too .. but I dont like that it cames with too little content: No included campaign, the training is very basic with just 4 missions ... and it only includes like 3 liveries

Remeber that it is still early access. I'm pretty sure there will be more weaponry, more missions and hopefully more (or a) campaigns.

In spite of all the little bugs it still has, it is a lovely plane to fly. I don't regret buying it.

If this is your first dcs ww2 module, I would advise to get some other plane first as A8 might turn out too frustrating in PvP. It is the least effective plane in whole set and requires a strict discipline to be remotely successful with it.

Also note that it is still in very early access state so some things are still waiting to be ironed out.

+1. This aircraft is a joy to fly, but currentlyit lacks most of the content. At least 8-10 training missions + quick missions + regular missions. I miss the time when a module came with a full campaign too, like P-51D.

+1. This aircraft is a joy to fly, but currentlyit lacks most of the content. At least 8-10 training missions + quick missions + regular missions. I miss the time when a module came with a full campaign too, like P-51D.

Dudes, it is EARLY RELEASE!!! How hard is to understand that the early release module is lacking features and it still has a lot of things to be tweaked and bugs to be squashed until a polished version could be called FINAL RELEASE.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Dudes, it is EARLY RELEASE!!! How hard is to understand

Why do you assume that I dont understand what an EA is? ..

.. I just said that I dont like to purchase a Module, learn it, and then find that I’ve no missions to fly and only 3 liveries to choose from ... that’s why I didnt purchase it in spite of the 20% discount.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Dudes, it is EARLY RELEASE!!! How hard is to understand that the early release module is lacking features and it still has a lot of things to be tweaked and bugs to be squashed until a polished version could be called FINAL RELEASE.

I understand perfectly what is a EA, in fact I ordered all my modules when in EA state. But, for example I-16 was launched without any training mission and no manual (only a 10 pages quick start guide). At least A-8 has a complete manual from day one.

I like it so far. Power to weight ratio is a bit lower than the D-9, so its a bit slower.

But it is the most armored WW2 plane we have in DCS right now, and short of getting the IL-2 that will stay that way.

It has good firepower and its amazing in a dive. It can keep its maneuverbility up to very high speeds. Making it great for diving attacks since it can still maneuver and aim at targets quite well at very high speeds.

Its not good at slow speed turning though.

Where have you been on YouTube my friend? Really miss your DCS stuff it was some of the best out there. Hope to see you back soon!

• 3 weeks later...

My new favorite module

The Anton is just awesome in VR. Cranking the flywheel and then starting that big engine is just so awesome :pilotfly:

I could do that all day.

Having some problems with the tailwheel on the ground though, but as long as you lock it, it's all good. Also i noticed that sometimes the rudder is moving by itself. But could also be a wrong setup from my side.

Imo the cockpit has such a good user experience, pretty easy to get it going.

My new favorite module :thumbup:

Favorite module: F16C 💥
Currently learning F15E 👨‍🏫
13900k - RTX 4090 - 64GB DDR5 - Varjo Aero - TM Warthog Hotas - Pedals

I like the Anton, it's currently my favourite. Takeoff and landing are a piece of cake compared to the Dora or the Kurfürst. The armament works very well with soft targets and she is easier to keep on a straight course which helps with gunnery. Dive bombing is fun too. Again, the dive is easier to control, and it's easier to pull out of the dive, compared with the Dora. And I like sparring with the P-51D-25 AI (skill on average of course). SometimesI can cripple it head-on thanks to the big fire power.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

But could also be a wrong setup from my side.

The plane has autorudder and 100% takeoff assistance on by default, open the settings special tab and turn them off yourself. I always forget this with a new plane and then wonder WTH is wrong :D

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Thanks @msalama, didn't know about the auto enabled takeoff assistant :joystick:

Favorite module: F16C 💥
Currently learning F15E 👨‍🏫
13900k - RTX 4090 - 64GB DDR5 - Varjo Aero - TM Warthog Hotas - Pedals

If this is your first dcs ww2 module, I would advise to get some other plane first as A8 might turn out too frustrating in PvP. It is the least effective plane in whole set and requires a strict discipline to be remotely successful with it.

Also note that it is still in very early access state so some things are still waiting to be ironed out.

eh...I'd like to think I'm pretty disciplined with the 190 in other "sims." I know it's not a turn fighter and energy fighting is my preferred play style anyway.

I bought it a while ago and I'm loving it so far! Having success with it so far

Edited by MobiSev

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

Remeber that it is still early access. I'm pretty sure there will be more weaponry, more missions and hopefully more (or a) campaigns.

In spite of all the little bugs it still has, it is a lovely plane to fly. I don't regret buying it.

Based on all of the other WW2 modules, I don't think anyone should expect anything more in terms of content. Maybe, eventually, paid campaigns may come, but there have been none at all for axis planes yet as far as I know.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Agreed. It is the latest, so ofc graphically it's the most gorgeous, but additionally, those cannons and MG can bring a lot of pain for a long time. Anything that crosses in front of the gunsight is dead.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria