Field Carrier Landing Practice

Gandalf_56

+1

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

• 2 weeks later...

In the actual issue of PC Pilot, there is an interview with Wags about the upcomming DCS F/A-18C Hornet. He also answered regarding the question of NOLF & IFLOLS:

Question:

Is there any possibility that ED might include a Naval Outlying Landing Field (NOLF) with an Improved Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System (IFLOLS) as part of one of their stock or DLC sceneries. Perhaps this is something that the community could be tasked to come up with?

Answer (Wags):

Yes, this is something we hope to include. We‘d want to do so as placeable object so it would be up to the mission designer to decide to place such equipment at an airfield.

• 2 weeks later...

+1

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

1+

IFOLS not needed for Swiss Hornet ops. Happy having the cables only ... ;)

Swiss_Hornet_Cabletrap3.jpg.4a88be8b3e5be41596bd6e132e16e0b7.jpg

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
In the actual issue of PC Pilot, there is an interview with Wags about the upcomming DCS F/A-18C Hornet. He also answered regarding the question of NOLF & IFLOLS:

Question:

Is there any possibility that ED might include a Naval Outlying Landing Field (NOLF) with an Improved Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System (IFLOLS) as part of one of their stock or DLC sceneries. Perhaps this is something that the community could be tasked to come up with?

Answer (Wags):

Yes, this is something we hope to include. We‘d want to do so as placeable object so it would be up to the mission designer to decide to place such equipment at an airfield.

No news until now but the hope is there!!!!:thumbup:

I believe in learning to fly the F18 before blowing things up and constantly crashing at a carrier to learn the ball etc get awfully madding a FCL lighting system would make it more enjoyable learning

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

You do have the ability to practice field carrier landings

It's carrier BOX drawn on the runway and the runway is not moving right. How about you use the carrier and just park still? Like I have setup for this training mission I've been playing with lately.

Just remember on the downwind 180 you need to go past the abeam of the ship about 1 mile. This is because there is no carrier speed moving away from you or wind pushing you, so you need to allow for this in the pattern as needed to allow for the wind only.

Field_Carrier_Landing_Practice_On_Carrier.thumb.jpg.cfd00f17c7795ab3e88ff67dfa3a723d.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

You do have the ability to practice field carrier landings

It's carrier BOX drawn on the runway and the runway is not moving right. How about you use the carrier and just park still? Like I have setup for this training mission I've been playing with lately.

Just remember on the downwind 180 you need to go past the abeam of the ship about 1 mile. This is because there is no carrier speed moving away from you or wind pushing you, so you need to allow for this in the pattern as needed to allow for the wind only.

is that a mission

you will down load or just for your use

Edited by RePhil

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

is that a mission

you will down load or just for your use

Still working on it when I can, I'm seeing if there are any negative training to using the "Optional" (Radio F10 other) rings and very small boats as references when learning or getting to know how this case 1 is done at an airfield / stationary carrier.

I don't think it would? If you were to fly case 1 patterns at the airfield you could find yourself using markers on the ground for reference, see you don't have that when out at sea. In this mission you could so have an off set wind direction as they do IRL when training at an airfield which you don't generally have at the aircraft carrier as they turn the ship into this wind.

What are your thoughts? I will post a thread very soon to see if anyone would like to try this out.

Edited by David OC

+1 :thumbup: :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb