New Hornet Pilot...Where to Begin?

WytchCrypt

Hi all,

I'm in the process of getting a new laptop so I can better run DCS 2.5.x and specifically the Hornet - had no idea 2.5 high quality required my entire existing SSD! I have a few days waiting for it to show up and was wondering the best place to begin studying how to fly the Hornet? I have Chuck's FA-18C Hornet Guide and have taken my first pass through it...wow, there's a lot to learn! Is that the best place to start or is there a specific thread or other guide I should be looking at?

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

^ What he said. Watching youtube tutorials and doing at the same time is what I did. I watched the hornet startup so many times before the module came out I just hoped in and started it. The hornets learning curve is pretty shallow relatively speaking.

Joe

:helpsmilie:

A suggestion: Learn the airfield pattern, and what it means to fly “on speed”. Then take it to the carrier. Learn nav, comms and refueling (which will teach you fine control). Find a wingman and learn two-ship flight procedures. Once you have full command of the a/c, then focus on employment. For a/g, start simple building from guns, rockets, dumb bombs, then move into smart weapons. For a/a, again start simple and build out: dogfighting using Shaw, aim9, then Radar/BVR. Above all, enjoy the journey itself and don’t rush it.

The most important question is how much about aircrafts do you already know ?

If you are new to aircrafts, this will be useful for you :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3961481&postcount=6

Just ignore the last part where I talk about going from the F-18 to the F-16 off course.

But if you already know a lot well as other peoples said, learn first about startup, learn the cockpit layout, functions, avionic and then with Chuck's guide + in game tutorials and the Hornet Mini-Updates which details new features and how to use them, you are basically covered.

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

Eat the elephant one bite at a time. Learn what you immediately need, whatever that is. You're stuck? Get on youtube (you will become very apt at typing "DCS World") and learn it. Multiplayer and voice comms (Teamspeak or Discord) is a very good way to learn. Also know that all aircraft come with written documentation: See folder .\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Doc\

The point is: learning stuff you don't need at the moment (e.g. precise-coordinate JDAM delivery) you will soon forget. Even stuff you need you will forget at first. Being a real fighter pilot is a full time job; it takes way more time than most of us can invest in gaming.

Rejoice and be happy with that one thing you learned today. Rinse. Repeat.

Good luck.

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I've been flying the Su27/33 since the DOS days, but the Hornet will be the first US bird I've flown...so much to learn :thumbup:

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

The training missions that come with the F/A-18C module are decent for learning the basics.

If you want some kind of written reference for learning maneuvers, this US Navy flight school Intermediate Jet Familiarization publication is a great place to start feeling your way through flying the Hornet.

https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/local/docs/pat-pubs/P-1212.pdf

It's written for the T-45C, but you can apply the same principles to the Hornet fairly easily. I recommend starting with this as opposed to the NATOPS because that publication assumes you've been through the undergraduate T-45 syllabus.