HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

The entire file...

On the lenses these are plastic. Any type of solvent like alcohol can harm them. I have packets of wipes for when I go to the theater (or now use my home theater) for my glasses only and don't use them on the VR headsets (I have three of them). Oculus cautions against any liquids.

{

"driver_Holographic" : {

// Increase back buffer size so that larger superscale values do not get a resolution reduction

"renderTargetScale" : 2.0

},

"driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {

// Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation

// motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection

// auto = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate

"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

// Automatic motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected

// green = off because application can render at full framerate

// light blue = on because application is cpu bound

// dark blue = on because application is gpu bound

// red = off because application running at less than half framerate

"motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : true,

// Some people may experience increased discomfort such as nausea, motion sickness, dizziness,

// disorientation, headache, fatigue, or eye strain when using thumbstick controls in Windows Mixed Reality.

"thumbstickControlsEnabled" : false, // true = use thumbsticks for artificial turn/move, false = default application thumbstick behavior

"thumbstickControlsReversed" : false,

"thumbstickTurnSmooth" : false,

"thumbstickDeadzone" : 0.25,

// During some transitions (typically entering Home), controller events start accumulate and the system has difficulties to catch up

// Settings a mximum age for a contoller input allows ensuring that the events queue does not grow indefinitely

"obsoleteStateMaxTimeInSeconds": 1.0

},

"NoInterEyeRotation" : {

"DOOMVFRx64.exe" : true

}

}

secoda thanks for the reply!

however slightly confused with how the headset is behaving...….

so previously was getting the behaviour you described locked solid to 45fps - however then made a couple of changes

1)removed the line below from the default.vrsettings file

"forceHalfRateWithReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",

2)Also in the WMR settings moved the hz from 90 to auto

As a result of the above 2 changes fps now seems to be moving between 45-90fps - don't think either 1) or 2) should have switched reprojection off - note also always used the below (enabled)

strangely also have trouble seeing the status indicator at the top of the screen - note also some times when I save the "default.vrsettings" file it appears as a .txt file other times it appears in type as a VRsettings rather than text file (not sure this makes any difference though.....)...……

Update:

Just noticed your steam post is recommending a different reprojection settings from either of the ones have been using! it says use:

"motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",

my settings file comes pre-populated with "auto" not "motionvector" at the end which is the one I simply enabled and the old version starting with "forecehalfrate" had "motionvector" not "auto" at the end! - whats correct? (maybe a listing of your settings file could help.....?)

on the cleaning question don't think I ever got a cloth in my pack but will check again - also on my other headsets use disposable wipes with no problem rift (MCR) and vive (zeiss) - think these were actually recommended by the company's tech guys.....

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

The entire file...

On the lenses these are plastic. Any type of solvent like alcohol can harm them. I have packets of wipes for when I go to the theater (or now use my home theater) for my glasses only and don't use them on the VR headsets (I have three of them). Oculus cautions against any liquids.

{

"driver_Holographic" : {

// Increase back buffer size so that larger superscale values do not get a resolution reduction

"renderTargetScale" : 2.0

},

"driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {

// Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation

// motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection

// auto = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate

// Automatic motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected

// green = off because application can render at full framerate

// light blue = on because application is cpu bound

// dark blue = on because application is gpu bound

// red = off because application running at less than half framerate

// Some people may experience increased discomfort such as nausea, motion sickness, dizziness,

// disorientation, headache, fatigue, or eye strain when using thumbstick controls in Windows Mixed Reality.

"thumbstickControlsEnabled" : false, // true = use thumbsticks for artificial turn/move, false = default application thumbstick behavior

"thumbstickControlsReversed" : false,

"thumbstickTurnSmooth" : false,

"thumbstickDeadzone" : 0.25,

// During some transitions (typically entering Home), controller events start accumulate and the system has difficulties to catch up

// Settings a mximum age for a contoller input allows ensuring that the events queue does not grow indefinitely

"obsoleteStateMaxTimeInSeconds": 1.0

},

"NoInterEyeRotation" : {

"DOOMVFRx64.exe" : true

}

}

secoda - thanks unfortunately didn't get a cloth with my headset but will request from HP...………

in terms of the file these are the settings I was using when my fps was fluctuating between 45-90...……………….but will test it some more....

interestingly in the link you attached from the steam page for the "motionreprojectionmode" its suggesting using "motionvector" rather than "auto" after the entry?

If it is running at 90 FPS or less than 45 FPS I don't want re-projection on. I really never see it drop below 45 FPS (red indicator) but it does hit 90 FPS (green indicator) when there is only sky being rendered on in menus or just SteamVR. (90 real frames per second are better than 45 real plus 45 virtual per second).

secoda - thanks unfortunately didn't get a cloth with my headset but will request from HP...………

in terms of the file these are the settings I was using when my fps was fluctuating between 45-90...……………….but will test it some more....

interestingly in the link you attached from the steam page for the "motionreprojectionmode" its suggesting using "motionvector" rather than "auto" after the entry?

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

My shopblt preorder from 3 June, was delayed from 10 June, then did not ship on 20 June.

My new estimate is now for July 12 to their warehouse. Sigh.

I guess I should hope the extra time is to fix the cable connector issues and the overheating issues.

Maybe the 2080 Super series of video cards will be announced by then because I have a feeling I will replace my 1080 shortly after I receive the Reverb.

Just received my Reverb today. Well 10 seconds after putting on the HMD I got every issue ever brought up. Loss of signal, loss of brightness, lines down the screen, screen sparkles for a minute or two... etc. I know the cause of most of the issues, it's the dang cable from the HMD itself. The round cable about an inch from the little box connector is bad. I can wiggle the cable in that area and HMD will lose power and screens shut down or the screens will get snow with lines down the sides unless the cable is completely straight with zero bend anywhere near that connector area. To prevent this I had to wire tie the darn cable to the strap to keep the cable from moving or bending. What a hassle and it's not like I can just disconnect the cable at the HMD to replace it, the cable that's bad is the one attached to the HMD permanently. HP should have made the cable completely replaceable. Also one of the headphones was broken when I recieved it, now I have to remove the headphone and use my own over the ear headphones. Also about 10 minutes of use, the brightness drops in the screens making everything darker. Even though all of these issues, the screen are a dream as long as they stay powered up. Best resolution I ever seen and seriously I don't see any SDE. Well not sure if I want to return it to B&H or try to see if HP will replace it. I don't want to miss the window for B&H to take it back if HP takes too long in shipping me a replacement.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

I received my reverb today and I must say overall I am very disappointed. While the clarity is better than my o+, the level of brightness is very low. Everything looks ridiculously dim. Almost as if we am wearing heavy sunglasses underneath the headset.

I tried a free flight and a dogfight and neither gave me a good impression. Clarity wise it’s good, with little aliasing, but it’s so dark I can really see much detail, especially with dark color on dark color, such as a plane outline against a very dark blue sky at midday. At midday!?!? I know that imacken had a similar impression. It may be harder for those coming from an oled because it is so much brighter.

Also, I am finding that SDE is very apparent for such high resolution. I see the grid of the pixel layout easily where I do not on the o+. I have the usb plugged into a separately powered card where the hp is the only device. Anybody know if there is a firmware update or something to adjust the brightness of the panel? If not I may send it back.

Sadly I only got a short few minutes of testing as I am out this week and won’t have the ability to test again until Thursday.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

New official NVIDIA dates on the Super series. No mention of a 2080 Ti Super date yet but the price should be similar to the Ti but a lot more powerful. I suspect that a new CPU would be in order too. :D

For me the Reverb is running great on a plain jane overclocked ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080 which did rate as the fastest one out.

July 2: Planned announcement day for all graphics cards (RTX 2060 SUPER, RTX 2070 SUPER, RTX 2080 SUPER). AKA soft launch.

July 9: GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER and GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER arrive on shelves.

July 23: GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER planned to hit the shelves. [Tentative]

https://www.ultragamerz.com/a-new-release-date-for-nvidia-rtx-super-2080-2070-2060/

Edited by Secoda

@ secoda - did you replace a headset with the reverb? If so, How was the brightness for you going from one to the other when you made the change ?

I think I’ll call hp and see what I can do about getting it brighter.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

If it stays running long enough I would be curious as to what FPS numbers you see (with your high-end rig) with the F-18 in free flight mode both with terrain in view and just the sky. TIA.

Just received my Reverb today. Well 10 seconds after putting on the HMD I got every issue ever brought up. Loss of signal, loss of brightness, lines down the screen, screen sparkles for a minute or two... etc. I know the cause of most of the issues, it's the dang cable from the HMD itself. The round cable about an inch from the little box connector is bad. I can wiggle the cable in that area and HMD will lose power and screens shut down or the screens will get snow with lines down the sides unless the cable is completely straight with zero bend anywhere near that connector area. To prevent this I had to wire tie the darn cable to the strap to keep the cable from moving or bending. What a hassle and it's not like I can just disconnect the cable at the HMD to replace it, the cable that's bad is the one attached to the HMD permanently. HP should have made the cable completely replaceable. Also one of the headphones was broken when I recieved it, now I have to remove the headphone and use my own over the ear headphones. Also about 10 minutes of use, the brightness drops in the screens making everything darker. Even though all of these issues, the screen are a dream as long as they stay powered up. Best resolution I ever seen and seriously I don't see any SDE. Well not sure if I want to return it to B&H or try to see if HP will replace it. I don't want to miss the window for B&H to take it back if HP takes too long in shipping me a replacement.

I still have my Lenovo Explorer (1440 x 1440). My Reverb is plenty bright. Especially when the sun hits the cockpit panel (too bright). I have read complaints about some going dimmer at times. It seems maybe yours is stuck there?

I would be curious what you are getting for FPS in the F-18 both with terrain rendering and just sky once you get it setup as well as Naruto.

The short cable from the connector to the headset is isolated (zip tied and attached with the clip HP has there) with a loop in it. I am afraid to touch it. lol The way it is looped it is very stiff and doesn't move when you touch it.

@ secoda - did you replace a headset with the reverb? If so, How was the brightness for you going from one to the other when you made the change ?

I think I’ll call hp and see what I can do about getting it brighter.

Hglv7CO.jpg

Z4G9t3K.jpg

Edited by Secoda

Maybe. I’ll get more time in Thursday. I’ll switch ports too. Could be underpowered or something. I didn’t have any of the other issues folks have seen thankfully.

No hurry - I think we will have these for a while. Mine is plugged into a 3.1 Gen 2 USB port. I did also isolate the cable before the PC so you can't yank the cable and move the plugs at the PC.

Maybe. I’ll get more time in Thursday. I’ll switch ports too. Could be underpowered or something. I didn’t have any of the other issues folks have seen thankfully.

If it stays running long enough I would be curious as to what FPS numbers you see (with your high-end rig) with the F-18 in free flight mode both with terrain in view and just the sky. TIA.

Sorry, I boxed it up and its going back to B&H but after zip tying the cable it did run around at 43 to 45 FPS with Motion Reprojection on. Without MR, I would get ghosting when banking. Its a great HMD if it worked but I'm probably going back to flat screen.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

I am learning the Huey in the Reverb and it is spectacular. I have half a dozen hours in an R22 from 15 years ago (enough where I could hover it a bit). In VR it's just like being there and reminds me so much of the handling. I can't go back to a flat screen.

I had been holding any Microsoft Updates from occurring. I just installed the 6/21 WMR driver update. Did it do anything?

I just registered my Hp Reverb Pro on HP's site by serial number and it appears the Professional models have a 36 month return and exchange. There is also free setup assistance for three months. I think Oculus and Samsung is one year. Of course we may need three years with the Reverb. lol

HP manufacturer/base warranty

Warranty type Manufacturer Warranty

Service type Wty: HP HW Maintenance Offsite Support

Status Active: Covered under Manufacturer warranty, 36 months remaining.

Start Date May 31, 2019

End Date June 29, 2022

Service Level Std Office Hrs Std Office Days

Std Office Hrs Std Office Days

Global Coverage

Standard Material Handling

Standard Parts Logistics

No Usage Limitation

2 Business Days Turn-Around

Customer delivers to RepairCtr

Customer Pickup at RepairCtr

Deliverables Offsite Support & Materials

Hardware Problem Diagnosis

Service type Wty: HP Support for Initial Setup

Status Active: Covered under Manufacturer warranty, 3 months remaining.

Start Date May 31, 2019

End Date September 27, 2019

Service Level Std Office Hrs Std Office Days

NextAvail TechResource Remote

2 Hr Remote Response

Unlimited Named Callers

Deliverables Initial Setup Assistance

Edited by Secoda

Oh snap. I guess I should register my HMD. Thanks for that!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Sold my CV1 for a good amount. Now just waiting for a reputable local store or soemthing to have stock in US and then I can place an order and sell my Odyssey too.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Sold my CV1 for a good amount. Now just waiting for a reputable local store or soemthing to have stock in US and then I can place an order and sell my Odyssey too.

How much did you sell it for? just about to Ebay mine....

9900K @ 5GHz, 16Gb DDR4 @ 4000Mhz C17, Samsung 970 Pro M2 x 2, GTX Titan X (Pascal), EVGA 1000w PSU, HP Reverb pro.

Reverb returned and offered a discount if I bought another one!

Sadly my experience with the HP Reverb was one of utter disappointment with its performance and with a list of 5 defects (as I see it) I complained to HP and now I'm returning it. I had the random disconnect, flickering on the right screen, very hot HMD, Dimming and audio issues with the mic.

This was interesting, I have been offered a no obligation first refusal on the next batch of "tested" (HP's words not mine) Reverbs and a £50 ($64 approx.) discount if I want to buy again. They will contact me when they are available.

Decision, decisions!

Waistcat

i7 7700 @ 4.7GHz--GTX1080ti--Samsung SSD 500GB--32 gigs of RAM--TH Warthog--Crosswinds rudder--HP Reverb--Dedicated Sim room.

Well you can always return that as well - I'd go for it ;)

For the win!

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

How much did you sell it for? just about to Ebay mine....
I sold mine for $200. You can use apps like offer up and letgo to list it. Mine had the two sensors, Xbox controller for PC, and touch controllers with the original packaging.

I sold stuff on eBay before but I usually just leave that for smaller things. Shipping and eBay fees would have killed me.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Sadly my experience with the HP Reverb was one of utter disappointment with its performance and with a list of 5 defects (as I see it) I complained to HP and now I'm returning it. I had the random disconnect, flickering on the right screen, very hot HMD, Dimming and audio issues with the mic.

This was interesting, I have been offered a no obligation first refusal on the next batch of "tested" (HP's words not mine) Reverbs and a £50 ($64 approx.) discount if I want to buy again. They will contact me when they are available.

Decision, decisions!

Waistcat

Sorry to hear you had problems too. I never bothered calling HP, I just sent it back to B&H but I'm done giving HP another chance. I'll wait for Acer to give them a shot and in the mean time, I'm going to wait for my Index preorder.