So ummm what are the differences between this and the new Version?

Hi guys, just wondering with the new pre order that’s just com won’t, what exactly are the differences between this version are the new one that went on pre order today, and is it worth getting both the if you already own this version?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

A8 is the base model for D9. A8 featured a radial BMW engine while D9 wears a Jumo 211A inline inverted v engine. As BMW engines lost power quickly past 6000m they sought an interim version (while even more powerful models were researched and built) with the inline engine resulting in the Jumo powered D9. The A model should be anyway powerful enough at low levels, not so high powered as D model is though.

A models featured 4 wing mounted cannons while in D9 it was reduced to 2. Also A8 model, and derivative F8 which is also released together with A8, had a wider capacity for ground attack weaponry. As well as A model could be loaded with underwings pods or had the outer 20mm wing cannons substituted with 30mm ones (seen in the model of the trailer video).

As the Jumo powered D model had to be lengthened there are probably unique quirks for the A model with regard to handling in the FM. As is obvious featuring lower highest speed in altitude (~650 Km/H ~6500m IIRC).

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

The A (or, rather, the F, which we're getting too I've understood) is good for reprobates such as myself who want to sneak in and tune up all the poor bastards on the ground never expecting us to show up, then retreat full throttle on 100ft AGL. Gentlemanly? No. Sporting? No. Just being a barstage, and that suits me just fine :D

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

A8 is the base model for D9. A8 featured a radial BMW engine while D9 wears a Jumo 211A inline inverted v engine. As BMW engines lost power quickly past 6000m they sought an interim version (while even more powerful models were researched and built) with the inline engine resulting in the Jumo powered D9. The A model should be anyway powerful enough at low levels, not so high powered as D model is though.

A models featured 4 wing mounted cannons while in D9 it was reduced to 2. Also A8 model, and derivative F8 which is also released together with A8, had a wider capacity for ground attack weaponry. As well as A model could be loaded with underwings pods or had the outer 20mm wing cannons substituted with 30mm ones (seen in the model of the trailer video).

As the Jumo powered D model had to be lengthened there are probably unique quirks for the A model with regard to handling in the FM. As is obvious featuring lower highest speed in altitude (~650 Km/H ~6500m IIRC).

S!

Thankyou for that, so in a nutshell, The A8 is a ground attack version of the D9 that we currently have, or at least more suitable for ground attack than the D9.

Appreciate that’s probably a very over simplistic way of looking at it, but that’s certainly the impression I’m taking from your very in depth description of the differences.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Thankyou for that, so in a nutshell, The A8 is a ground attack version of the D9 that we currently have, or at least more suitable for ground attack than the D9.

Appreciate that’s probably a very over simplistic way of looking at it, but that’s certainly the impression I’m taking from your very in depth description of the differences.

Nope, A8 is the fighter and interceptor though with wider ground capacities than D9 anyway (or D9 had reduced capacities better said), while F8 (also named A8/U3 depending on where it was produced-modified) is the dedicated ground attack version with even more options for assault and a bit armour for the purpose.

I mean, in development schedule, A module predated D and D9 prototype was based on a modified A8 and that's why D0 pre-production models were followed by D9 (the next to 8 if that makes sense). A8 is an early 1944 model, D9 a mid 1944 model.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

Nope, A8 is the fighter and interceptor though with wider ground capacities than D9 anyway (or D9 had reduced capacities better said), while F8 (also named A8/U3 depending on where it was produced-modified) is the dedicated ground attack version with even more options for assault and a bit armour for the purpose.

I mean, in development schedule, A module predated D and D9 prototype was based on a modified A8 and that's why D0 pre-production models were followed by D9 (the next to 8 if that makes sense). A8 is an early 1944 model, D9 a mid 1944 model.

S!

:thumbup: thanks for that. Some great info there. Think I understand now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The A8 is heavier than the A5 and therefore is slower, has lower climb rates, and has lower turn rates. I would have much preferred an A5 over an A8. The A5 is a contemporary of the Spitfire Mk IX. The D9 is a true 1944 class fighter. But for people who aren't obsessed with air superiority, the A8/F8 offers a 1944 version of the A series that is much better suited for fighter-bomber operations rather than dogfighting Spitfires.

But performance charts of speed and climb rate vs altitude tell two stories:

1) the A5 is equal or better than the A8 at everything at any altitude, though the increased power of the A8 causes a few overlaps of equal speed capability despite the weight gain, but climb rate/acceleration is markedly inferior across the board.

2) the D9 smokes both the A5 and A8. Flying the A8 when the D9 is available is like flying the P-40 when the P-51 is available.

Fly what you like, just accept that some aircraft are completely outclassed when faced with a late-war order of battle. I just pre-ordered the A8, but I will probably fly it much less than the D9 in the same way that I fly the F-15C far more than the A-10C. I enjoy air superiority missions/dog fighting and therefore prefer to fly aircraft that are either focused on that mission or put an interesting spin on that mission (the AJS-37 comes to mind).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2) the D9 smokes both the A5 and A8. Flying the A8 when the D9 is available is like flying the P-40 when the P-51 is available.
Aaaaannnnnddd that's what happens when you get the good stuff first :lol: .

S!

What good stuff? As a dedicated groundpounder, am more than happy to get the F model now(ish) while waiting for the Mossie to drop. :thumbup:

What good stuff? As a dedicated groundpounder, am more than happy to get the F model now(ish) while waiting for the Mossie to drop. :thumbup:
Yeah, I'm with you, but higher performances later model ones are what we currently have mostly, so anything we get is a "step back" with regard to raw performance. I personally don't care, A-8 is one of the models I was longing for in a DCS level, but people usually only request the latest available, the highest performances, or even higher than they already have if possible. Check the forums for people asking 25Lbs Spit or a MkXIV, 72-75" MP P-51, 1.98Ata K4, a higher rated D9, or a higher rated P-47 we don't even get yet :doh:, so any step back in performances is probably perceived by them as undesired.

So, we got the latest models, the best performers mostly (except Spit IX I guess people would argue), the "good stuff", and now an earlier model, a lower performer. Hope anyway people welcome it as deserved. Will them? :music_whistling:

S!

Well I think most will, for various reasons. It's a classic radial-engined Würger for one, and a more balanced opponent to the Allied birds we currently have. Plus the aforementioned F model is a must for us groundpounders anyway :thumbup:

Yeah, I'm with you, but higher performances later model ones are what we currently have mostly, so anything we get is a "step back" with regard to raw performance. I personally don't care, A-8 is one of the models I was longing for in a DCS level, but people usually only request the latest available, the highest performances, or even higher than they already have if possible. Check the forums for people asking 25Lbs Spit or a MkXIV, 72-75" MP P-51, 1.98Ata K4, a higher rated D9, or a higher rated P-47 we don't even get yet :doh:, so any step back in performances is probably perceived by them as undesired.

So, we got the latest models, the best performers mostly (except Spit IX I guess people would argue), the "good stuff", and now an earlier model, a lower performer. Hope anyway people welcome it as deserved. Will them? :music_whistling:

S!

tell me who would not like p-51H ?? ot TA-152

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Well I think most will, for various reasons. It's a classic radial-engined Würger for one, and a more balanced opponent to the Allied birds we currently have. Plus the aforementioned F model is a must for us groundpounders anyway thumbup.gif
Yeah, I'm totally with you. Hope so for the rest of users.

tell me who would not like p-51H ?? ot TA-152
I'm not interested in H model whatsoever :lol: . What would be the point if even at Korea there were Ds?

About Ta-152, I don't think there's enough documentation for that, not to mention it was a rarity, but with time and other more important models in the planeset already available, why not?

S!

Yeah, I'm totally with you. Hope so for the rest of users.

I'm not interested in H model whatsoever :lol: . What would be the point if even at Korea there were Ds?

About Ta-152, I don't think there's enough documentation for that, not to mention it was a rarity, but with time and other more important models in the planeset already available, why not?

S!

Not interested in p-51H ?? realy ?? i dont belive you there

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Not interested in p-51H ?? realy ?? i dont belive you there
It's so ugly with that tall tail, sorry :lol:.

S!

It's so ugly with that tall tail, sorry :lol:.

S!

for me looks badass more slim i realy dont like air scoop for coolers in D. scoop in H is just pure preformance

My argument is that for the radial engined Fw190s, the A5 was the best version, not the latest, but the best and was more contemporary and a better competitor with the Spitfire MkIX than the A8. The original post wanted to know the differences between the D9 and the A8... which are quite large across the board. But at lower altitudes, the A5 is a very competitive ride. The tradeoffs between the A5 and the D9 are not unlike the tradeoffs between the Spitfire MkIX and MkXIV. Of course the late war monsters have all the power and speed, but that comes at a cost in weight/agility. Some people are happier in light/agile aircraft as opposed to high wing loading aircraft with big engines and lots of torque.

On paper, the D9 is almost a perfect match for the P-51D. In this game, the D9 is extremely hard to fly against the AI P-51D, whereas the AI Fw190D9 can be defeated consistently with a well-flown P-51D.

But the Bf109K4 smokes them all with power and agility, its only limitations in combat being the cockpit view and armament... and both of those can be overcome with just a bit of practice. It is the takeoffs and landings that will kill you in a K4 :P

Of the four aircraft presently available, I think the K4 is the most fun to fly. Not only is it powerful and agile, but it is a little unstable. It feels the closest to my real world experiences of flying Pipers and Cessnas in terms of the way it responds to control movements and the way the view looks.

But my favorite for combat is the P-51D with its balance between speed, maneuverability, and firepower as well as its very effective K-14 gunsight. Very easy to take off and land, too. It is just a little underpowered compared to its opponents, so the acceleration and climb limitations make it important to conserve speed and altitude.

The Spitfire MkIX is normally an easy mode plane in most WW2 combat flight sims. The only real limitation being its maximum speed. But in DCS World, it is a very touchy aircraft and is almost as hard as the 109 during take offs and landings. When you get used to it, it flies as well as it does in other sims, but it isn't the forgiving, super agile aircraft it is in most other sims. When choosing between the Spitfire and the Mustang, you are choosing whether you want a Merlin wrapped in 7,000 lbs or 10,000 lbs. But the aerodynamic advantages of the P-51 go a long way toward making up for the extra 3,000 lbs... which is mostly fuel anyway. So it is more fair to compare the P-51's performance with a fuel load that permits the same flying range as its opponent.

I look forward to trying the Fw190A8, but it is clearly at the bottom of the performance bucket in the current stable of flyable modules available... both underpowered and too slow unless you keep it within 2,000 m of sea level. Unless it "feels" a lot better than the D9, most of my Fw190 time will be with the D9 until an A5 or Ta152 becomes available.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

a-8 radial engine air cooled 1700hp

d-9 inverted v12 liquid cooled ~2000hp annular radiator in front of the engine

difrent gun sight

a-8 more cannons

what else ??

a-8 higher wing load then d-9 when fully loaded

Edited by grafspee

Comparing the A-5, A-8, and D-9 to each other is ridiculous. They are different birds designed for different purposes. The A-8 can carry a lot more weaponry than the A-5. And it is more heavily armored. It is NOT slow. It is an interceptor, designed to counter the bombing threat of the time. The F-8 is the fighter-bomber (multirole) variant.

• 2 weeks later...
Aaaaannnnnddd that's what happens when you get the good stuff first :lol: .

S!

You implying that the A8 is not good? It's a great plane, just! The P47D is inferior to the P51D but I'm still going to get it because its a good plane and should be a lot of fun to fly.

Every body don't forget the A model is shorter than the D model( I am not sure at the moment how much) it a totally different aircraft...Kurt added about 2-1/2 feet in the rear of the fuselage to make up for the longer Jumo engine to try to maintain center of gravity, and the flight quality of the A model. It is the same airplane, but it is really totally different.

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You implying that the A8 is not good? It's a great plane, just! The P47D is inferior to the P51D but I'm still going to get it because its a good plane and should be a lot of fun to fly.
No, both are good aircraft indeed. I meant Dora is the higher performer and you get the less performer after the higher, so people would complain now it's not as powerful as Dora is which, as was obvious it would be. Anyway I was personally awaiting A-8 so we could fly the earlier variant, more options in the servers, more proper to the Normandy date, and everything.

S!

• 1 month later...

Guys, wehere did you get the word we're gonna get a F-model? I'm in the midst of deciding which model to purchase and getiting a F in bundle with the A could make a real difference...

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

Modules: F-5E, FC3, F/A-18C, Mirage 2000 C, AV-8BNA, FW-190 A-8, F-16C Viper

SystemSpecs: AMD A8-6600K (4x3,9GHz), 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX1070 8GB, WIN10 64bit

Guys, wehere did you get the word we're gonna get a F-model? I'm in the midst of deciding which model to purchase and getiting a F in bundle with the A could make a real difference...

A developer talked about an F-8 variant in the original A-8 thread. There was also quite a lot of research going on. Look for posts by Coyote in this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=221655

Especially page 25 onwards.

But: Since there is no mention of it in the A-8 module description and every customer question regarding the F has been ignored by ED for the last 6 months I would buy the A-8 only under the assumption that there will not be an F variant included in the module. And who knows: maybe we'll get a pleasant suprise down the line. I just wouldn't count on it.

Edited by spiddx

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds