Not very happy with the gazelle module

I already have the ka50 and the mi8 so I decided I'll try out this gazelle because of the summer sale and to be honest, I wasn't impressed, here are the issues:

1)Horrible training missions and too few of them, I've got no problem with not having any voice that guides me at what I'm supposed to be doing, but could you at least make me learn more stuff ? For example the 3 NADIR missions were laughable, the two first were 10 second training missions and the third one was barely longer, firstly you could have regrouped the three in one mission and secondly, I barely learnt anything, I know how to put coordinates and I know how to copy them from one waypoint to another, but how the hell do I now use this device to navigate ? And what are all the other functions meant to do ? How to I start this nadir device from cold ? ...

And this is the trend in all of the training missions, I push buttons but I don't really know what they are supposed to do, you could at least explain the function of the switch or the other functions of knobs, like in other training missions.

Then there are clearly too much training missions that are missing: viviane, counter measures+rwr, basic flight+autopilots+auto hover, how to employ other armament in the sa342mistral and sa342L...

Other helicopter training missions in comparison actually give me everything I need to know to operate correctly the helicopter, unlike the gazelle where I had to go to the manual to learn pretty basic stuff...

2)Bad manual, It's just a chore to read and to try to understand and is quite basic, chuck's guide is just so much more intuitive and explains more stuff. This point plus the last point just means that I had very little enjoyment trying to learn this helicopter unlike the other ones. Nothing to do with the helicopter itself, just the bad training missions and the bad manual.

3)A lot of switches and buttons that do nothing. Firstly in all helicopters the big IFF panel (the panel just behind the seats) doesn't work at all, then these are the unusable switches in the sa342L and sa342Mistral

q2tBn6H.jpg

and in the sa342M and sa342 minigun

zR2FwEx.jpg

There are also quite a few other switches here and there that don't work

4)LOL

EWRBc5p.png

it's in the backseats of the sa342M and it's aerospatiale not aerospitale

5)Way too few other missions, I already mentioned how few training missions there were but this goes also for how few quick missions there are, the first 4 are just basic tanks and trucks hunting missions in different settings, and when you play them you just see how little effort was put into them, not saying at all they are bad, but I can also place 4 trucks and make them move to a waypoint and then place a gazelle and set it as the player, you could at least make the effort to put some more moving units around the helipad and use a different picture for the thumbnail, this is maybe a minor complaint but with the other helicopters, the quick missions have lots more units and objects but most importantly there are much more quick missions and they are very diverse, also they have quick missions in the persian gulf which the gazelle module doesn't have. Moving on to the normal missions, this is pretty pathetic, nothing apart from the base helicopter ops mission that every helo module has. Then for the campaign I haven't really played it for long but you could at least put something in the briefing instead of referring to the pdf file BUT honestly this looks like a very good campaign with lots of missions, I can't wait to play it once I master the gazelle (ugh...) so thanks a lot for that

6)The cockpit lighting is way too dark but this issue has already been said

7)Very few liveries

8 Can't transport people or snipers like it was written in the DCS product description (or as it should be able to do)

I won't try to talk too much about the FM or system modeling because I know nothing about this helicopter, even though I've noticed quite a lot of small stuff that seem to me as being issues but overall I think the helicopter is still fine in game and quite fun to fly.

To end this message I want to say that the module still feels beta because of the issues I mentioned, the two biggest being, in my opinion, the training missions and the unusable cockpit switches, if they are fixed I'll be satisfied but until then, this module clearly has less value for the same amount of money than the two other helicopters I own (ka50, mi-8) who feel complete and are exactly up to DCS standards (the ka50 is 10 years old but is still fine and is getting a cockpit update later this year).

Please polychop, add more content (quick missions+mission+training missions+liveries), fix what should work by default (switches and buttons+dark lighting+transporting people) and It'll be P E R F E C T, or at least it will feel like a normal DCS module.

I'm sorry if I'm a bit nitpicky here and there or even a bit mean but that's just how I feel about this module

Edited by notproplayer3

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

This is one of my favorite module but it looks like its Just been abadoned. Multicrew barly works, most of the Time Just not synchronizing between crew. Textures dont seem to be PBR... Go and check the Polychop gazelle section of the forum. I started few threads About it but none of them have been ever replied. Shame....

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

This is one of my favorite module but it looks like its Just been abadoned. Multicrew barly works, most of the Time Just not synchronizing between crew. Textures dont seem to be PBR... Go and check the Polychop gazelle section of the forum. I started few threads About it but none of them have been ever replied. Shame....

That's sad because I really wanted this module to work well, I'm french and I guess I took this helicopter over the huey for that reason but I think I'm starting to regret it, seeing also that as you said, this module seems to be abandoned.

There may be hope it's gonna get fixed but I really don't know. All I'm asking for are training missions and functionality to the dead switches (maybe also these PBR textures, they seem sweet)

Edited by notproplayer3

Fingers crossed for Polychop. They did well, Just need to polish few things up :thumbup:

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

Fingers crossed for Polychop. They did well, Just need to polish few things up :thumbup:

Yes I agree with you, flying this helo feels fine and the damage model and the different systems are good, maybe one fix or two here and there but overall, operating this helicopter is up to DCS standards (apart from the dead switches and the lighting)

Hi guys, if the new threads doesn't have answers is maybe because these questions or problems have already been answered, and about the shadows, is fixed internally, and will be updated ASAP.

In case of multicrew there is no reaction from Polychop... The new network code is here, the multicrew of the Tomcat is here. They mentioned long time ago they had been waiting for these two to move forward with some coding. My thread has not been replied for long time. About the PBR They said they Will be thinking of changing the textures but that was not a promise.

In case of multicrew there is no reaction from Polychop... The new network code is here, the multicrew of the Tomcat is here. They mentioned long time ago they had been waiting for these two to move forward with some coding. My thread has not been replied for long time. About the PBR They said they Will be thinking of changing the textures but that was not a promise.

First of all, I said it a lot of times before, is not the same sharing a cockpit, than two separate cockpits. And talking about promises, ED promised multicrew for the Huey and is still not here, I wonder why... About PBR, I am sure they will end up doing it. Meanwhile, they solved the shadows problem.

EDIT: And It happens exact the same for the MI-8 which doesn't have neither multicrew and PBR

Edited by swatstar98

Chinook lover - Rober -

First of all, I said it a lot of times before, is not the same sharing a cockpit, than two separate cockpits. And talking about promises, ED promised multicrew for the Huey and is still not here, I wonder why... About PBR, I am sure they will end up doing it. Meanwhile, they solved the shadows problem.

EDIT: And It happens exact the same for the MI-8 which doesn't have neither multicrew and PBR

Of course tomcat is different, Its a tandem but still They mentioned some Time ago they had been waiting for it :smilewink: and About Huey and Mi8, I thought we are in Polychop section of this forum... There is no need to mention About Shadow problem being solved for the 3rd Time :)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3816311&postcount=31

Edited by =Pedro=

I reference to other products just to make you see is not that easy just to say, solve it. If the owner of the engine can't do it, how a 3rd party could. They didn't mentioned it directly, just answered to the people saying "Look multicrew working"...

Chinook lover - Rober -

I reference to other products just to make you see is not that easy just to say, solve it. If the owner of the engine can't do it, how a 3rd party could. They didn't mentioned it directly, just answered to the people saying "Look multicrew working"...

Fair enough, lets hope for the best :)

P. S. Yes, I suspect the multicrew issue is somehow related to ED, So please Wags, let those hard worki 3rd party people finish their great module :D

swatstar98, our helicopter mum... :)

Please keep in mind that DCS is a long-term project, planned to be alive for decades. It's an ongoing development and evolves with each iteration. So a module has to keep up with that.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I still enjoy the Gazelle. It feels extremely light to control maybe too much and slightly unnatural, but then I’ve never actually flown a helicopter so what’s to say this isn’t actually what a gazelle is like. I would have thought by now they may have looked at the pilots and particularly the face renders which I think look horrible particularly when you compare it to the detailed work from belsimtek.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I still enjoy the Gazelle. It feels extremely light to control maybe too much and slightly unnatural, but then I’ve never actually flown a helicopter so what’s to say this isn’t actually what a gazelle is like. I would have thought by now they may have looked at the pilots and particularly the face renders which I think look horrible particularly when you compare it to the detailed work from belsimtek.

Actually, I'm starting to get the hang of this helicopter and I really enjoy flying it, it's just the issues that I mentioned that really need to be fixed so that I can enjoy this module to it's fullest, right now it's really lacking behind in terms of missions and the switches need to be usable, it just feels beta

@notporplayer3:

The switches of the encrypted radio are not done, cause this system is classified and we have no access to informations about this encrypted system. In addition, even if we would have informations, we would not build such encrypted classified systems, cause we dis never seek for any lawsuit with any military. Therefore we are sorry, but we are certain, that you will be able to comprehend our decision.

@notporplayer3:

The switches of the encrypted radio are not done, cause this system is classified and we have no access to informations about this encrypted system. In addition, even if we would have informations, we would not build such encrypted classified systems, cause we dis never seek for any lawsuit with any military. Therefore we are sorry, but we are certain, that you will be able to comprehend our decision.

Ok then, thanks for explaining it for me, it's unfortunate but I can't really blame you guys for that. What I can blame you for is everything else I said in my post like the training missions or the lack of other missions, I can't explain why, but it's really ruining my experience with this module, maybe because I play in singleplayer and I can't really play this helicopter a whole lot without needing to take the time to create a mission for it.

What I can blame you for is everything else I said in my post like the training missions or the lack of other missions, I can't explain why, but it's really ruining my experience with this module, maybe because I play in singleplayer and I can't really play this helicopter a whole lot without needing to take the time to create a mission for it.

Huh? :huh:

In addition to the "quick flight missions", the module comes with 10 training missions and a general-purpose standard mission.

Plus there is an entire, full-blown professional campaign (with its own 40+ page manual) included with the module. Have you played through that?

I have a lot of DCS modules and the SA342 is one of the better ones in terms of included single-player content.

Huh? :huh:

In addition to the "quick flight missions", the module comes with 10 training missions and a general-purpose standard mission.

Plus there is an entire, full-blown professional campaign (with its own 40+ page manual) included with the module. Have you played through that?

I have a lot of DCS modules and the SA342 is one of the better ones in terms of included single-player content.

No, there are 6 badly done and very small training missions that explain not a whole lot about the aircraft, 5 very basic and not very diverse quick missions (not even in the persian gulf), only the general purpose mission and no other mission (other helo modules have more than that), and indeed there's a campaign that's look very good to me so I won't complain about it, but for the rest, this is unacceptable when you compare with the missions you get in other helicopter modules

Learn to use the mission editor and make your own missions that suit your playing style. That's what some of us do. Remember, this is not a polished off-the-shelf game. It is more of a sandbox of what-ifs. If you can't find a map that has/does what you want, you can make that happen in a short time and be flying before dinner. Personally, I had some problems with the Gazelle at first, but after months of practice, it's now like mowing the lawn (but with armament).

Learn to use the mission editor and make your own missions that suit your playing style. That's what some of us do. Remember, this is not a polished off-the-shelf game. It is more of a sandbox of what-ifs. If you can't find a map that has/does what you want, you can make that happen in a short time and be flying before dinner. Personally, I had some problems with the Gazelle at first, but after months of practice, it's now like mowing the lawn (but with armament).

Yes, I use the mission editor, the problem is just that other helicopter modules have lots of missions right of the bat but not the gazelle

I have the MI8 and Huey and love them both. I also got the gazelle recently and am disappointed to the point that I’ll probably never fly it.

I had to use YouTube just to make sense of the first training mission. Then after I could start up and take off I move to the second training mission one the first thing it tells you to do is put it in autohover. No where in the first mission as that mentioned so back to google...

Can anyone can recommend a good video series on this? I’ve found a few random ones but nothing in depth.

I am going to disagree a bit. I had no problem getting up and running in the gazelle. Getting all the weapons to work. Using the nav system.

I like all the heli sims.

I wish the multiplayer worked better.

I was a gunner/medic in pavehawks and jollygreens.

The other day I put my son in the minigun seat and took him out and he zipped some targets.

I really enjoyed it!

My son said this is hard how do you aim. I said experience boy.

Maybe with my background I just understand the systems easier.

Are they going to work on it?

I am going to disagree a bit. I had no problem getting up and running in the gazelle. Getting all the weapons to work. Using the nav system.

I like all the heli sims.

I wish the multiplayer worked better.

I was a gunner/medic in pavehawks and jollygreens.

The other day I put my son in the minigun seat and took him out and he zipped some targets.

I really enjoyed it!

My son said this is hard how do you aim. I said experience boy.

Maybe with my background I just understand the systems easier.

Are they going to work on it?

Thanks for the comment, it's a very interesting story, I myself had the chance to fire a roof mounted machine gun during military service (barely 3 weeks ago) but sadly shooting while moving wasn't my thing at all, and I guess shooting the minigun in the gazelle isn't either, but let's not diverge from the subject at hand. I don't know anything about piloting a helicopter and I guess most of the people who buy the gazelle don't either, so it is imperative that they make good training missions that actually gives the player everything he needs to know about flying it, other helicopter modules do that so why not the gazelle ? Especially since it's exactly the same price as the others